PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

OFFICIAL: BATTLE FOR ATLANTIS GAME THREADS

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: OFFICIAL: BATTLE FOR ATLANTIS GAME THREADS

Postby Nacho » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:04 pm

Never could put them away. Effort was lackluster. Not surprising that wku pulled it off.
Nacho
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby deucetz » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:07 pm

JasonB wrote:Jank said it would be up and down this year.

Team was totally out of gas the last 4 minutes of the game. Shake had no legs left on the free throw.

Too careless, too many horrible turnovers kept us from taking control of the game. Whitt and Ethan at the end those were really bad turnovers.

UNI won't be a bad loss. This one might. They beat Purdue, but we will see how the season treats them.

Offensively, we again tried to run too much with a post. We didn't stick with small ball that worked last night, and we didn't spread the court enough. Too many dribbles, get up in the air, and force a pass instead of drive hard and finish. We didn't clear them out of the lane enough to get easier looks. Leaving Ethan outside is when we are at our best.

As much as Jank won the game yesterday, I thought putting Akoy in towards the end killed the momentum and clogged the lane. He needs to sit or play blowout minutes until he is back in shape. We should have gone small rather than sub him in.

Was Ray injured?

I was pissed. The game management at the end was horrible and Jank just had that worried look like he wanted to bite his nails. We had 3 timeouts we could have used as well during the momentum swing. They played 8 players so exhaustion isn’t an excuse.
deucetz
All-American

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:09 pm

I agree, exhaustion on our end is no excuse. Western Kentucky, only returned one player from last year's team and only had 8 players suited up. Spin it all you want to, this was a bad loss.
ALEX LIFESON

Postby mtrout » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:11 pm

The only coach at SMU who tells it like it is is the soccer coach. He will go one video saying his guys played like [deleted]. Go figure they're top 10 and in the 3rd round of the NCAA tournament.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:13 pm

5-2 with 6 more to play before conference play begins. Fully expect to lose 2 of those 6 and be 9-4 going into AAC play. If these guys do better than that over the next 6, I will feel really good about where these guys are going into conference play.
Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:14 pm

You guys are funny. We beat Arizona and Jank is a coaching genius but lose to WKU and overnight he is a buffoon.
Charleston Pony

Postby mtrout » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:17 pm

Well when you beat the #2 team in the nation you get your hopes up that you can beat a team with 8 players that was 15-17 out of CUSA last year.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby Rebel10 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:19 pm

Shake had 3 fouls and I believe Ben did too. So it would have been risky do that. Western Kentucky hass 2 highly regarded players thry are waiting on to become eligible so they may be even better than they are now. So it may not be a bad loss in the end
Last edited by Rebel10 on Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:50 pm, edited 4 times in total.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:21 pm

Akoy is huge burden. Should have kept him out until UT rio grande to play him.
Shake, no way in hell he goes to the draft.
Chargois, roiding his throw into the stands.

Whatever we just gained yesterday, it’s gone. Committee is going to laugh and say see ya next year.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby deucetz » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:29 pm

SMU_Alum11 wrote:Akoy is huge burden. Should have kept him out until UT rio grande to play him.
Shake, no way in hell he goes to the draft.
Chargois, roiding his throw into the stands.

Whatever we just gained yesterday, it’s gone. Committee is going to laugh and say see ya next year.

I definitely agree we should have not let Akoy play today. He just looked so stiff. What nutritional plan is he on. Do we not have a nutritionist on staff? I was reading about how Froling lost weight, and I would like to know what’s going on. The Marquette players get Whole Foods meals.

You can lose about 1 to 2 pounds a week of fat. Even if Akoy couldn’t workout he shouldn’t be that much overweight if he ate well and did some workouts.
deucetz
All-American

Postby Ponyneighbor » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:30 pm

I'm going to continue to reserve judgment for another month, because at this time last year we were 4-3, we didn't look like a team that could make the NIT, and we dang-near won the next 31 games. My guess is that this team is not as good as last year's, but Jank will figure out the flow and rotations so that they are better. The biggest concern for me out of this game was Agau. That was the first time I've seen him play, and ... oh dear - not what I was expecting. I was hoping for Jordan Tolbert 2.0, and he looks like a guy that can't contribute in the over-40 Y League. Really disappointing - I can't see him being much of a factor on defense & the boards, which was what I was expecting. He looks aweful
Ponyneighbor
Junior Varsity

Postby Junior » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:30 pm

Rebel10 wrote:Shake had 3 fouls and I believe Ben did too. So it would have been risotto do that. Western Kentucky hass 2 highlyrics regarded players thaare waiting on to become eligible so they may be even better than they are now. So it may not be a bad loss in the end

I’m not familiar with that usage of “risotto”. Must be urban.
Derail the Frogs!
Junior

Postby sadderbudweiser » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:30 pm

Guys must have been tired. Maybe not physically as much as mentally and emotionally.
That’s the only rational excuse for how they performed tonight. Really poor when you have so many chances to put the game away and you throw the ball to nobody or blow a layup. I hope this one ends up being this year’s low point.

Yeesh. So frustrating.
Last edited by sadderbudweiser on Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby Junior » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:31 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:You guys are funny. We beat Arizona and Jank is a coaching genius but lose to WKU and overnight he is a buffoon.

We lost TWO we shouldn’t have.
Derail the Frogs!
Junior

Postby sadderbudweiser » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:34 pm

Junior wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:You guys are funny. We beat Arizona and Jank is a coaching genius but lose to WKU and overnight he is a buffoon.

We lost TWO we shouldn’t have.

I give Jank a little blame for this one but he could have spent the last five minutes of this game at the bar if we had our normal 8-10 turnovers and gotten to the free throw line once or twice.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball