PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

OFFICIAL: BATTLE FOR ATLANTIS GAME THREADS

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: OFFICIAL: BATTLE FOR ATLANTIS GAME THREADS

Postby sadderbudweiser » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:04 am

mtrout wrote:
blackoutpony wrote:Shake and Jarray have got to be better. They were downright awful shooting the ball tomight for a combined 5/33.

That said, huge win to pull that out. Gu stepped up big time.

Yeah I can't believe Gu dropped 20 on Arizona. I was a charter member of the Gu haters club.

Believe.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonySnob » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:05 am

Highest ranked team that we’ve ever beaten?
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby LA_Mustang » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:06 am

We have to be big NIU and Arizona fans the rest of the season.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby JasonB » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:07 am

1) I guess the UNI loss wasn't such a bad loss after all. Don't panic :).

2) Against UNI, we were forcing bad passes on drives and turned the ball over. Today, we passed and moved so much better, so we didn't dribble around as much. But when we did we took it strong and finished. Could have made a few more layups, but the attitude was there. And that attitude helped with 20 offensive rebounds. They had to help on the drive and it left the rebound open.

3) The biggest move today was that when we went down by 7 or 9 early, we changed the lineup and went small. For the rest of the game on the offensive end, we spread the floor. It was exactly what was missing against UNI. More space, less help on drives, and we caused UA problems with it the rest of the game. Also gave us an extra shooter for the kick out and was easier to find the open player. Even when Ethan came in during the second half, he made a point of staying outside (obviously). Completely changed the game.

4) *Theory* - I wonder if with Georgetown coming back, we tried practicing with a more traditional offensive set and a low post presence. We played that way against UNI for the first time this season and it burned us. Tried it tonight and we were getting killed. Once we went back to spacing things out, we were gold. Switching it back won the game. Will be interesting if we will try to run traditional against smaller teams and use this spread offense against bigger opponents.

5) Really important game for Gu. But also for Ethan and Eli. Eli made some things happen, is super scrappy, and for both of them to have success against a number 2 team, it is going to help them take a step forward this season.

6) We just beat the number 2 team in the country with Foster going 2-17 and Shake 3-16. That is super big time. I know Arizona is still coming together. But so are we. That is super, duper big time.

Tomorrow is going to be rough with the short bench and the turnaround. But man, what a performance and that is just an absolutely huge victory. None of the losses in this tourney are going to be "bad" when it comes to selection time. But that win is gigantic.
JasonB

Postby Rebel10 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:10 am

I like the 9 to 10 man rotation that we have the flexibility to use.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Puckhead48E » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:10 am

deucetz wrote:Our bigs had 3 rebounds, Chargois had 0. Our point guard rebounded the best.

This is going to be a rough year. I have no faith in Akoy, I hope I’m proved wrong. This is his third school with limited minutes. Our freshman guards look like they are transfer candidates by the end of the year with the way they are playing. We may not even be an NIT team if we don’t have better output by the bigs.

I’m not sure what quality win we can get with the talent that we have. I love Shake but he still struggles on drives to finish, so when he isn’t hitting jumpers his game will struggle. The team played tentative. Reminded me of the last possession against USC during the tournament.

I chalk it up to recruiting, next year we will better in terms of our bigs. Our recruiting is very flawed. This is the year the sanctions really hurt us.

I'd like to note, for the record, that I am in no way being this pessimistic of the season. Think we will take some time to burn in the offense and get everyone involved, then face a little growing pains when McMurray gets in. Disappointed in the UNI game because you can't have an entire team be cold and it not be at least partially on the coaches...but...the growth will come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Puckhead48E
Heisman

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:12 am

I only hope Arizona goes on huge win streak and wins the PAC and gets back on Top 25. I’m thinking they’re out even if they win the next game.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Pony ^ » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:18 am

Jarrey needs some serious love for his D on their big man tonight. Incredible performance
Pony ^

Postby Pony_Law » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:22 am

Still can’t believe we won against a team with that much talent when we shoot 31% from the field.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby H-E-B Mustang » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:35 am

Interesting team stats from the box score:

Shots SMU 70 AZ 47
Rebounds SMU 39 AZ 43
Offensive rebounds SMU 20 AZ 11
Turnovers SMU 8 AZ 20
Steals SMU 10 AZ 1
H-E-B Mustang
All-American

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:38 am

Those TOs are the story to how we won. Great defense and capitalizing. We left a few points off the board but who gives a ****. We won in the clutch.
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:55 am

No mention of us during the halftime report for a PK80 game. Kind of annoying. You think #2 losing would warrant a note.
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby smusic 00 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:02 am

Aaaaaaaahhhhhhhh yeeeeaaaaahhh!!!!!!!
smusic 00

Postby edwa » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:45 am

the only thing i didnt like tonight was agu, hes clearly still suffering from his injury but we played him because of fouls, hope he gets better and we contest for the AAC title.
edwa
Junior Varsity

Postby SMU Pony Mom » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:53 am

Missed most of the game but got to watch the last 8 minutes. Awesome win!!
SMU Pony Mom
Heisman

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball