PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

The incredible shrinking Shake Milton

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: The incredible shrinking Shake Milton

Postby Stallion » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:51 pm

June Jones always says he never let his kids get in the water on the beach at the Hawaii Bowl--violated Tiki Mojo law because I saw Shake with his tippie-toes in beach water. There's a reason that June Jones is the greatest Hawaii Bowl Coach in NCAA History. Now we need to find a Tiki Mojo Doctor to un-hex the jinx
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyLawExpress » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:08 am

Shake was TERRIBLE in Atlantis. Couldn’t buy a shot and choked the FT today...but he is still a great player and he will still likely have a great season.. it was 3 bad games in a november tournamnet let’s not read to much into this.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby jimhagle » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:36 pm

PonyLawExpress wrote:Shake was TERRIBLE in Atlantis. Couldn’t buy a shot and choked the FT today...but he is still a great player and he will still likely have a great season.. it was 3 bad games in a november tournamnet let’s not read to much into this.

Shake is a good player not a great player. Great players don't play the way he did in those 3 games.
jimhagle
Heisman

Postby mrydel » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:39 pm

I never played competitive BB but have heard when they lay out an arena with black curtain backdrops that some players have depth perception problems shooting. They were talking about this last year at the final 4. May not be true but I am going to blame that on Shake’s shooting until he shows otherwise. I have to keep faith in him.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby ojaipony » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:41 pm

I've never really bought into the hype around Shake. He's good for sure. Great measurables absolutely. But that missed FT is just unforgivable and he's the one that missed the point blank layup to lose to USC. He's very good, just not great. I can't believe we lost to Western Kentucky.
ojaipony

Postby Pony_Law » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:23 pm

ojaipony wrote:I've never really bought into the hype around Shake. He's good for sure. Great measurables absolutely. But that missed FT is just unforgivable and he's the one that missed the point blank layup to lose to USC. He's very good, just not great. I can't believe we lost to Western Kentucky.

It wasn’t a layup against usc it was a floater about 6 feet after a drive against a tall collapsing defense. Ben Moore missed the front end of a 1-1 when usc went down and took the lead on the corner 3. we got tired against their zone in the second half, and stopped running the offense for large chunks of the stretch and had a few bone headed turnovers. Putting that lose on shake is extremely unfair. Sterling or semi should have taken that last shot and both passed.

If we win 2 out of 3 against Boise TCU and usc, we are in fine shape record wise and will tell me we are good enough to do well enough in conference to be a tournament team. If the only win 1 or strike out then we will likely be a high seed NIT type team.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyLawExpress » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:26 pm

Pony_Law wrote:
ojaipony wrote:I've never really bought into the hype around Shake. He's good for sure. Great measurables absolutely. But that missed FT is just unforgivable and he's the one that missed the point blank layup to lose to USC. He's very good, just not great. I can't believe we lost to Western Kentucky.

It wasn’t a layup against usc it was a floater about 6 feet after a drive against a tall collapsing defense. Ben Moore missed the front end of a 1-1 when usc went down and took the lead on the corner 3. we got tired against their zone in the second half, and stopped running the offense for large chunks of the stretch and had a few bone headed turnovers. Putting that lose on shake is extremely unfair. Sterling or semi should have taken that last shot and both passed.

If we win 2 out of 3 against Boise TCU and usc, we are in fine shape record wise and will tell me we are good enough to do well enough in conference to be a tournament team. If the only win 1 or strike out then we will likely be a high seed NIT type team.

I couldn’t agree more with your last paragraph. 100% how I feel.

It is fair to call Shake real good and not great. I just don’t think we should overreact from a bad early season tourney. If it continues then yes..
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:33 pm

"If we win 2 out of 3 against Boise TCU and usc, we are in fine shape record wise and will tell me we are good enough to do well enough in conference to be a tournament team. If the only win 1 or strike out then we will likely be a high seed NIT type team."

Agree completely but not sure this team will be ready for that level of competition. Hope they surprise me and play much better than they have so far.
Charleston Pony

Postby photopony » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:59 pm

I’ve never thought Shake had the same all star talent like Nic or Semi. He can be consistent, with a high floor and an ok ceiling, never seemed to be a true team carrier. I think Jarrey has a higher ceiling, he could be an amazing senior for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
photopony
Varsity

Postby ponyboy » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:12 pm

Shake missed a few shots in the Bahamas that he'd normally make. He's still a strong player and a probable first or second round NBA selection. Next.
ponyboy

Postby Mustangs_Maroons » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:14 pm

Unfortunately for the first time since many years, we have no true leaders on this team. Maybe it's just perception, but Shake doesn't seem to have much energy during games. If Nic Moore had been there against western Kentucky, he would have wanted to take that free throw. You get the feeling Shake doesn't want that type of pressure. It will be a a long season of ups and downs with this team.
Mustangs_Maroons
Heisman

Postby PonyLawExpress » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:26 pm

If Shake is our biggest worry going forward we will be in good shape. I think that tourney was an anomaly.

I am not sure Shake is an Alpha personality, but he was clutch at the end versus Zona. He just bricked a FT last game that he would make 19 out of 20 times. Even Nic bricked clinching FT's every now and then. I would be thrilled in most games if we are up and Shake is at the FT line to clinch it.

McMurray might be the guy who takes over, similar to how Sterling did, at the end of the games once he is eligible when we need a big shot. McMurray is great in 1on1 ISO situations.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby Pony ^ » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:16 am

haven't read the full thread and someone may have already said it, but after the AZ game Jank said the ball was a little different there and our guys were having a tough time with it
Pony ^

Postby ponyboy » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:08 pm

Shake missed three or four shots in Nassau that he'd normally knock down. Had he made those, we'd be talking about how he's a legend, all world, etc. Very glad he's on my team.
ponyboy

Postby sadderbudweiser » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:35 pm

Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball