PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Chargois Hypothetical

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Chargois Hypothetical

Postby Stallion » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:24 pm

if all the national scouts were following Ethan around this season at SMU where would he be projected now Nationally in the Freshman Class. 6-9, confident shot, , almost NBA 3-point range, good hands, can dribble--really just need the chiseled body but he's got strength to eventually be a force inside. I think conservatively he'd be Top 50-60 at least-and with a higher upside for the NBA than most of the Power Forwards without his range. Just establishing him as a quality big-man has given this program a much higher ceiling in the next 3 years than I could have dreamed of at this time. Just keep working Big Man
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Chargois Hypothetical

Postby BUS » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:37 pm

Amen
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby sadderbudweiser » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:42 pm

Great addition.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby Pony_Law » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:49 pm

Kid’s got a really nice game. If he works hard in the gym he could become a dominate college level player and play himself into the league.

Don’t go to sleep on Douglas. He is doing a lot of little things that are daring him his playing time and show me he is going to grow into a really good player. Just wish he had as much confidence in his shot as landrum.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby Stallion » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:54 pm

No kidding-Douglas is 4-8 from 3 point line this year. 50%. Work hard, spot up and shoot kid. His form is so great its hard for the ball not to go down. He is starting to do little things like rebounding, steals and assists kind of like Sterling Brown showed when trying to fit into the team concept as a freshman.
Last edited by Stallion on Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Pony ^ » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:03 pm

Really fun to watch. Exciting to watch him get better and better
Pony ^

Postby PonyLawExpress » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:08 am

Stallion wrote:No kidding-Douglas is 4-8 from 3 point line this year. 50%. Work hard, spot up and shoot kid. His form is so great its hard for the ball not to go down. He is starting to do little things like rebounding, steals and assists kind of like Sterling Brown showed when trying to fit into the team concept as a freshman.

Seconded for this whole thread Stallion.. I get that same feel with Douglas that he just does the little things and helps things flow when he is on the court. Real pretty shot too. Doesn't try to do too much and is always looking to make the extra pass. He should be a real good player for us.

Chargois looks like a 4 year guy, but if he puts in the work he could make the show. Really has to hit the Strength and Conditioning program over the next few years and work on his athleticism to be a legit NBA prospect, but his O game is SOO skilled and will only get better as he develops. He was a steal. Such a good player already.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby sadderbudweiser » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:53 am

I like the Douglas-Sterling comparison. Douglas is ‘sneaky good’ right now.... doing some of the non stat sheet things that coaches notice and reward. Took 2 or 3 charges last night. Confidence growing.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby LA_Mustang » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:57 am

Douglas understands defensive positioning very well for someone his age. I noticed that in our first game. I’d like to see him be more aggressive on the offense end but that will come with more playing time and getting more comfortable on the court. He has a beautiful outside jumper.

Chargois’ confidence is still what impresses me the most. We are very fortunate he’s a Pony. Pretty sure there are a few Big 12 schools wanting a do-over.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby deucetz » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:35 am

PonyLawExpress wrote:
Stallion wrote:No kidding-Douglas is 4-8 from 3 point line this year. 50%. Work hard, spot up and shoot kid. His form is so great its hard for the ball not to go down. He is starting to do little things like rebounding, steals and assists kind of like Sterling Brown showed when trying to fit into the team concept as a freshman.

Seconded for this whole thread Stallion.. I get that same feel with Douglas that he just does the little things and helps things flow when he is on the court. Real pretty shot too. Doesn't try to do too much and is always looking to make the extra pass. He should be a real good player for us.

Chargois looks like a 4 year guy, but if he puts in the work he could make the show. Really has to hit the Strength and Conditioning program over the next few years and work on his athleticism to be a legit NBA prospect, but his O game is SOO skilled and will only get better as he develops. He was a steal. Such a good player already.

I hope if he develops his strength and conditioning, he gets drafted to the NBA in the first round after is Sophomore or Junior Year. I just want them to make millions while they can.
deucetz
All-American

Postby 93Mustang » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:15 am

Chargois is improving every game. He has such confidence on the three. Very unusual for such a big guy. His defense last night was very solid albeit against weaker competition. I like that he is now trying to post up occasionally and explode to the hoop. I agree with everything said that if he can get stronger and more comfortable in the paint, the sky is the limit for him. Great get for the coaching staff.

As an aside, these freshmen getting so much game experience due to our limited returnees and short bench is really going to pay off down the road. All of them look to have great potential and all have important roles to fill this season which hasn't been the case since Shake and DJ were freshmen. Sometimes being at the right place at the right time is the difference between developing as a recruit or moving on to a new home like many of our recent recruits although I think this year's freshmen are way better than the Australian experiments . . .
93Mustang
Junior Varsity

Postby DiamondM » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:16 am

Love what Chargois is doing, and he's only going to get better.
Attachments
206vva.jpg
206vva.jpg (16.31 KiB) Viewed 3281 times
DiamondM
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:58 am

Charleston Pony

Postby MFFL02 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:42 am

Chargois could become an nba prospect. He needs to spend this offseason in the weight room. He needs to get stronger. It will help him a ton on defense and on the boards. Great freshman year!
I miss Troy Matthews.
MFFL02
All-American

Postby PonyLaw90 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:57 am

I think by the time his junior year rolls around, he will be mentioned as, dare I say, Charles Barkleyesque. Kudos to Ethan for the hard work he's already put in the training room. You can tell that his breathing is not not as pronounced when they played TCU as it was earlier in the year.
PonyLaw90
Varsity

Return to Basketball