PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Whitt

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Whitt

Postby Pony_Law » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:11 pm

Obviously he had his best game tonight and it was against an inferior opponent, but man he was showing off the type of athleticism that made him such a highly rated recruit. Ungly’s shot i’ve Ever seen but if it works it works. Going to be fun to watch him the next few years.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Re: Whitt

Postby PonyLawExpress » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:01 am

Pony_Law wrote:Obviously he had his best game tonight and it was against an inferior opponent, but man he was showing off the type of athleticism that made him such a highly rated recruit. Ungly’s shot i’ve Ever seen but if it works it works. Going to be fun to watch him the next few years.

Agreed. I think he could turn into a real good player over his 3 years.

I think Whitt has played well for the most part this season. He gets some heat, because he can't shoot the 3, he has a big hitch in his shot, and doesn't put up sexy scoring numbers. I think he has done well for being the primary PG though. Not great, but been good. His numbers so far are pretty nice. Top 3 in the AAC in assists. Is one of our leading rebounders. Lots of steals/tipped balls and some blocked shots. Good defender. He does all the little things.

If he can knock down mid range jumpers and floaters as well as attack the rim, like he did tonight, he adds an extra dimension to our team. He has to be aggressive as the year goes on and hit shots so teams don't sag off him to much.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby sadderbudweiser » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:59 am

Solid defensively. I’m amazed at some of the shots he blocks. Good rebounder too. And, based on last night, if you think you don’t have to guard him, think again.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby 93Mustang » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:08 am

Whitt is a great addition. Great athlete and he fills the stat sheet - very hardworking at both ends. A better version of the freak athlete Ryan Manuel. The shot is crazy, but he's so quick and has such great explosion/long arms, all he should focus on are shots 15 feet and in. I look forward to seeing play in the conference. The drive to the hoop and slam last night reminded me of Manuel. When he pulls that off in a full house, Moody will explode!
93Mustang
Junior Varsity

Postby PonyFan32 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:03 pm

I think our starting 5 is a step below WSU and Cincy right now, but I would put them up against any other starting 5 in the AAC, which is what gives me confidence we can make hay in conference with the addition of McMurray. It's a fortunate thing to run out Shake, Jarrey, Whitt and Gu and Ethan out there as your first string.
PonyFan32
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:37 pm

I would love to see the SMU Simmons School of Sports Physiology do a motion analysis of his shot like they do with runner's strides. I tried to simulate it last nite and think I stretched ligaments in my wrist. I will say he works for great shots-he has to to get the shot off. I just think it would be neat to understand the concept behind his form to tell in the future whether its going in. Note he has the best FG% of all our players except for our posts Chargois and Ray-but he doesn't shoot 3s
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Pony_Law » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:02 pm

Stallion wrote:I would love to see the SMU Simmons School of Sports Physiology do a motion analysis of his shot like they do with runner's strides. I tried to simulate it last nite and think I stretched ligaments in my wrist. I will say he works for great shots-he has to to get the shot off. I just think it would be neat to understand the concept behind his form to tell in the future whether its going in. Note he has the best FG% of all our players except for our posts Chargois and Ray-but he doesn't shoot 3s

His shot works because I’m sure his average distance to basket is less than 6 feet. He will never be a good perimeter shooter over time with form like that. That said Rando never became a good shooter either and he had a long prosperous NBA career. If you can get the the rack and finish and are a good passer with good length and good defense you have a lot to contribute to a team.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:03 pm

and nobody thought a guy with a swing like Jim Furyk's could ever be successful on the PGA Tour
Charleston Pony

Postby sadderbudweiser » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:02 am

It ain't how.....it's HOW MANY.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Return to Basketball