PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Thoughts on the USC win

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Thoughts on the USC win

Postby PonyFan32 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:06 am

PonyPlayer4 wrote:
PonyFan32 wrote:1. Said elsewhere by another poster but this is a very talented team.
2. Welcome to the big time, Will Douglas.
3. Still think we lose a game or two we shouldn't due to inexperience. But people will not want to play us in conference play.

You mean like UNI and WKU?

Well yes but I was looking forward to conference play.
PonyFan32
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:36 pm

PonyPlayer4 wrote:Who cares about comparing Moody now to Moody from 40 years ago. New Moody is great, and it was great on Saturday night. I am not going to complain at all about attendance while it is still football season. The game was awesome.

We "old timers" were just responding to a post that today's Moody is far superior to what it ever was. Agree today's Moody is great and I would not want the 10,000 capacity we once had because I'm not sure we could fill those seats today. There are several posters who only know how pitiful Moody was for so many years in the post death penalty era when we lost our home court advantage and the loyal group of 1,500 was born.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SoCal_Pony » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:53 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
PonyPlayer4 wrote:Who cares about comparing Moody now to Moody from 40 years ago. New Moody is great, and it was great on Saturday night. I am not going to complain at all about attendance while it is still football season. The game was awesome.

We "old timers" were just responding to a post that today's Moody is far superior to what it ever was. Agree today's Moody is great and I would not want the 10,000 capacity we once had because I'm not sure we could fill those seats today. There are several posters who only know how pitiful Moody was for so many years in the post death penalty era when we lost our home court advantage and the loyal group of 1,500 was born.

There is something magical about playing a named-school opponent that has a strong alumni base in the city you live and work in.

Remember attending games such as those against UT where I stood the entire time surrounded by fellow students in the corner of the bottom bowl because all the bleacher seats where packed with other students. We were crazy loud.

Also sat 2 feet behind Phi Slamma Jamma.

Great memories.
SoCal_Pony

Postby perunapower100 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:33 pm

Great revenge win. The atmosphere in Moody now is incredible now. Moody is one of the toughest places to win in the entire country. One small suggestion to make Moody even more exciting. Increase the lighting on the upper level so you can see the sellout crowds on TV. Let's keep the home court winning streak going!
perunapower100

Postby ponyboy » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:54 pm

Yes, was wondering about the lighting thing.
ponyboy

Postby mrydel » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:57 pm

Works both ways. Does not show empty seats for the lesser games.

And yes even though there is no such thing as a lesser person, there are lesser games.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby H-E-B Mustang » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:25 pm

I have heard that there is a wonderful invention they're calling light switches.
H-E-B Mustang
All-American

Postby Pony_Law » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:39 pm

perunapower100 wrote:Great revenge win. The atmosphere in Moody now is incredible now. Moody is one of the toughest places to win in the entire country. One small suggestion to make Moody even more exciting. Increase the lighting on the upper level so you can see the sellout crowds on TV. Let's keep the home court winning streak going!

Nah love the “event lighting”, makes the court pop.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:09 pm

lighting in the new Moody is just fine and arena looks great on TV...especially when the courtside seats are full
Charleston Pony

Postby Terry Webster » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:11 pm

And maybe the players prefer the dark background.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Pony ^ » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:38 pm

Lighting is perfect as is. Gives it a showtime feel. Darker = rowdier in my opinion
Pony ^

Postby smusic 00 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:45 am

Like Staples Center. It’s ‘big time.’
smusic 00

Postby ponyboy » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:11 pm

The emergence of this team has a lot to do with Moody Magic. The team has averaged a top 25 ranking each season since Moody was redone. BTW, I’m not sure about Charleston’s statement that we wouldn’t fill a 10K seat arena. Lots of demand when you’ve got a solid team like we’ve been enjoying. Regardless, it’s been a fun ride and here’s to many, many more great seasons. We’ve certainly got all the ingredients
ponyboy

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:37 pm

I'll have to side with the not filling 10k only because at the USC game there were plenty of seats open especially on the east side. It's a saturday night against top 25 revenge game. No excuses not to be a full house.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:33 pm

have to remember we were putting 10k in Moody back in the SWC days when our opponents brought fans as well. We never had a 90% majority of SMU fans that I can recall, but we had a clear majority of probably 2/3 vs 1/3 because of the number of students that attended
Charleston Pony

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball