PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

McMurray

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: McMurray

Postby PonyFan32 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:27 am

The tourney ineligibility which was just mentioned is the obvious reason but it's easy to forget Semi wasn't a sure thing when he transferred. Didn't get a ton of chances at Duke. It had to be a real possibility in 2015-2016 that he would play 2 years not 1. That's another reason it was the right decision at the time.
PonyFan32
Heisman

Postby deucetz » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:56 pm

That decision cost us a regular season title
deucetz
All-American

Postby Stallion » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:36 pm

PonyFan32 wrote:The tourney ineligibility which was just mentioned is the obvious reason but it's easy to forget Semi wasn't a sure thing when he transferred. Didn't get a ton of chances at Duke. It had to be a real possibility in 2015-2016 that he would play 2 years not 1. That's another reason it was the right decision at the time.

he was the surest thing we've had around here in generations. How many Parade All-Americans have we had around here. I kick myself for not recognizing it at the time. Basketball stars are going to jump to NBA as soon as humanely possible. Never redshirt a great Basketball prospect either unless hurt
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyFan32 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:05 pm

It was defensible given the situation. It seems silly in hindsight but the other poster said "at the time".
PonyFan32
Heisman

Postby mustangxc » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:29 pm

I don't have an issue with the way Semi's playing career at SMU was handled. There are also examples of McDonald's All-Americans flaming out like Bobby Crosby at Michigan and then Rice. He was good but never an NBA prospect at Rice. Semi was not a bigtime NBA prospect when he transferred.
mustangxc

Postby Stallion » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:38 pm

The Parade Magazine High School Player of the Year is an NBA prospect-just have to get him on the floor instead of sitting behind NBA Lottery picks. At the time I admit I thought it was the right call-that's why I'm kicking myself-because it wasn't. If a similar prospects comes through here I know exactly what decision I'd make today
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby JasonB » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:59 pm

From the quotes in recent press conferences, it seems like they are certainly leaning towards making him active...
JasonB

Postby The Falcon » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:38 am

When a high school basketball player averages 38 pts per game as Semi did - it is obvious that
he has pro talent. He was (as some have pointed out) a Parade All American. He probably hit
over 50 points a couple of times in his career. Most players couldn't do that if they were playing
5 on 3. If he had played with MK, JT, & Nic and the boys - that would have been unbelievable.
The Falcon
All-American

McMurray

Postby PonyFan32 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:53 am

The Falcon wrote:When a high school basketball player averages 38 pts per game as Semi did - it is obvious that
he has pro talent. He was (as some have pointed out) a Parade All American. He probably hit
over 50 points a couple of times in his career. Most players couldn't do that if they were playing
5 on 3. If he had played with MK, JT, & Nic and the boys - that would have been unbelievable.

Strange... No one said he didn't have pro talent and yet people keep bringing that up as if someone did say that.

I do agree with what you've said above though.
PonyFan32
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:53 am

getting back to McMurray...I'm just anxious to see this kid suited up for SMU. I remember him as a Nic Moore type player. He's a guy that should provide instant O; can create his own shot and has tremendous range. I also remember him getting into the paint and hitting floaters like Nic could, really frustrating the D. He hit 50% of his threes his Soph season. I think he will help tremendously but will certainly cut into any minutes the Frosh guards are now getting.
Charleston Pony

Postby MFFL02 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:36 am

The Falcon wrote:When a high school basketball player averages 38 pts per game as Semi did - it is obvious that

That team was ineligible for post-season play. Why would we have had Semi play with them? Who cares about regular season conference championships? He helped get us to the NCAA tourney.
I miss Troy Matthews.
MFFL02
All-American

Postby MFFL02 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:37 am

It wasn’t obvious that he was going to be a great player for us. He exceeded all of our expectations. If Duke knew he would be that good, they would have played him a lot more and made sure he was happy. Kentucky has found ways to keep many NBA prospects happy all on the same team, Duke could have done the same if they knew what they had in Semi.
I miss Troy Matthews.
MFFL02
All-American

Postby MFFL02 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:40 am

Charleston Pony wrote:getting back to McMurray...I'm just anxious to see this kid suited up for SMU. I remember him as a Nic Moore type player. He's a guy that should provide instant O; can create his own shot and has tremendous range. I also remember him getting into the paint and hitting floaters like Nic could, really frustrating the D. He hit 50% of his threes his Soph season. I think he will help tremendously but will certainly cut into any minutes the Frosh guards are now getting.

He will allow Shake to get 5 more minutes of rest per game.
I miss Troy Matthews.
MFFL02
All-American

Postby PonyLaw90 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:54 am

Shake may only see 5 minutes in reduction, but overall, Shake will benefit from having a true-blue outside shooter patiently waiting at the top of the key when defenses collapse on Shake's drives. I just hope his shot is still as pure as it once was.
PonyLaw90
Varsity

Postby jimhagle » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:15 am

Message to AD Hart and Jank -both of you make a decision and let us in on it. Stop dragging these things out.
jimhagle
Heisman

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball