PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

McMurray

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: McMurray

Postby sadderbudweiser » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:08 am

JasonB wrote:
jimhagle wrote:As thin as we are this year and Landrum looking like he isn't near ready( or he isn't that good) we need him desperately to play and play well.

Eli is going to be a very good player. Great hands, great engine. Very quick, very athletic, great leap. His shot isn't falling yet, but it is a good shot. Going through what Gu did before conference play last year. He will be very good in the long term. I see a lot more from him than I saw in Sed a couple of years ago.

I hope he can nail a few tonight. McMurrays addition is going to cut his minutes.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:57 pm

sadderbudweiser wrote:
LA_Mustang wrote:Sed is averaging 10 points, 3 assist and 2.5 rebounds per game. 34% from the field and 23% from 3.

And his defense? I watched a little Utah ball last year. He played darn near zero D. Little wonder he was in LB’s doghouse.

Well, it appears Sed is improving because last year you would not have seen an average of 3 assists per game. I did not check his assist:turnover ratio but this thread is supposed to be about McMurray, who demonstrated he can deliver instant offense, but never enjoyed the kind of numbers in terms of an assist:turnover ration that I would like to see from our guards. That's what I am going to be interested in once McMurray hits the floor
Charleston Pony

Postby LA_Mustang » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:09 pm

Funny.....

@AdamGrosbard
Tim Jankovich jokes Jahmal McMurray would have hit him if he didn't let him play this season.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby Rebel10 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:02 pm

McMurray has some outstanding handles as well. He can play point to where Shake can move off the ball which is where he is the most effective imo.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Treadway21 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:10 pm

First impression is he is a way different player that we've had since the LB era. He showed he is fiery, has attitude, and is a bit flashy. So much different by our players that play within the system. I like it because he offers a different dimension and the game flow changes when he is in there.

He is an odd fit but a valuable fit. He is kind of like a more talented quicker Keith Frazier.
An atheist is a guy who watches a Notre Dame-SMU football game and
doesn't care who wins.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Treadway21

Postby sadderbudweiser » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:15 pm

Treadway21 wrote:First impression is he is a way different player that we've had since the LB era. He showed he is fiery, has attitude, and is a bit flashy. So much different by our players that play within the system. I like it because he offers a different dimension and the game flow changes when he is in there.

He is an odd fit but a valuable fit. He is kind of like a more talented quicker Keith Frazier.

He can pass...look at some of the USF clips.

But when he jacked a couple of misses last night i chuckled when i thought: LB would have yanked him already.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby LA_Mustang » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:16 pm

sadderbudweiser wrote:
Treadway21 wrote:First impression is he is a way different player that we've had since the LB era. He showed he is fiery, has attitude, and is a bit flashy. So much different by our players that play within the system. I like it because he offers a different dimension and the game flow changes when he is in there.

He can pass...look at some of the USF clips.

But when he jacked a couple of misses last night i chuckled when i thought: LB would have yanked him already.

Ha! First thing I thought, too.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby Treadway21 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:20 pm

For sure. Remember the tight leash KF had.

I think he is a great change of pace guy for us and a crowd pleaser. Gonna be fun to see how the team evolves from here on out.
An atheist is a guy who watches a Notre Dame-SMU football game and
doesn't care who wins.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Treadway21

Postby gostangs » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:58 pm

only risk is the team gets tired of a showboat - but I love the energy and fire. Just needs to make sure to remember he has team mates that are VERY capable of scoring also. No covered shots needed like when he was at USF.
gostangs

Postby sadderbudweiser » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:13 pm

gostangs wrote:only risk is the team gets tired of a showboat - but I love the energy and fire. Just needs to make sure to remember he has team mates that are VERY capable of scoring also. No covered shots needed like when he was at USF.

I don’t see that happening. He’s been in practice and on the bench soaking in the culture. I like the Nic Moore analogy. Who EVER got tired of that?
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby SmooBoy » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:14 pm

I also saw some really nice passes from Mc last night. I am not worried about him in the Jank system. He adds a new dimension.
SmooBoy

Previous

Return to Basketball