PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Free Throws

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Free Throws

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:51 pm

We really don’t have a bad FT shooter on the team which makes our performance at the line last few games troubling. Overthinking FTs can become a problem, especially in pressure situations.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Free Throws

Postby mustang1992 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:20 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:We really don’t have a bad FT shooter on the team which makes our performance at the line last few games troubling. Overthinking FTs can become a problem, especially in pressure situations.

We have 3 players who are in the .500s on FT shooting - JF, BE, and JW are all critical players who will be out on the court when the game is on the line and who will be shooting to win games in the end.

I think we, like most teams, just don't find those types of shots (10-15 ft) very sexy. We are either jacking up 3s or driving the basket. That's why JW has been such a great addition to the line-up (for a number of reasons, but especially adding this area of attack). It also boggles my mind why he can be so effective essentially taking a free throw during the game (when defenders are guarding him, he is moving, etc.), but so inconsistent in actual free throws! He's shooting .507 FG and .550 FT?

I agree FTs are mental, so let's get some sports psychologists in here that can help them with that aspect of the game! These have already cost us a game and WILL cost us more this year.
mustang1992
All-American

Previous

Return to Basketball