PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

DMN -

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

DMN -

Postby Pony_Fan » Thu Jan 22, 2004 8:35 am

In today's DMN - Dement and state of team

http://www.dallasnews.com/s/dws/spt/stories/012204dnsposmulede.20f9f.html

Sophomore point guard Bryan Hopkins said more leadership is needed on the team but that the team does have a mental toughness. - Gee really?

<small>[ 01-22-2004, 05:38 AM: Message edited by: Pony_Fan ]</small>
Pony_Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: DMN -

Postby Dooby » Thu Jan 22, 2004 9:12 am

This article reeks of "We are going to have a new basketball coach next year".
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Pony_Fan » Thu Jan 22, 2004 9:23 am

Unfortunately, I am not sure I want Copeland picking that person.
Pony_Fan

Postby Stallion » Thu Jan 22, 2004 9:27 am

Seriously assuming Cavan, Dement and Bennett are the idiots the experts seem to suggest they are isn't it time we start evaluating whether its time for Copeland to move on. He has presided over the longest period of ineptitude in the History of the School in both FB and BB. Further, attendance even with a brand new stadium is back to historical lows disguised only by big crowds from visiting Big 12 schools. If it ain't an unequal playing field then Copeland should be fired based on those facts. Shouldn't Copeland's bottom line be judged based on the alleged Commitment just as he is judging the FB and BB coaching staff.

<small>[ 01-22-2004, 06:35 AM: Message edited by: Stallion ]</small>
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby OldPony » Thu Jan 22, 2004 9:28 am

Maybe BHop doesn't know what mental toughness is. His statement in its entirety suggests that. I think Copeland just said that Dement is fired and Dement said that he doesn't care because he has always been able to get good jobs. The only person who said the right things in an interview situation was Isham. However, if anyone has disappeared this year its Justin. With the attiutde I'm reading from all involved, the Ponies might not win another game.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby BigEasyPony » Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:00 am

Dement fired himself in that article. He said if the teamn doesn't want to listen to me maybe I don't want to coach. What the? Then his ridiculous statement after the game about recruiting tougher players. Who recruited the players on the current team? Why haven't you always recruited tough players. His comments are unacceptable. Copeland has to know he but is on the line with this situation.
BigEasyPony
Junior Varsity

Postby EastStang » Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:04 am

Clearly, the tune out button has been hit. These guys aren't stupid. If they can pass classes at SMU they can understand a compound sentence, "try to steal but if you don't foul immediately". Its a shame, but the players are doing it to themselves. Perhaps, they figure they can skate through the regular season doing whatever they please, and win the WAC tourney and get to play the #1 seed in the NCAA tournament. A very dangerous game for the players to play.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Vitale » Thu Jan 22, 2004 1:31 pm

That Coach Dement made those comments publicly is surprising. He might think those things, but the logic of airing them in the media escapes me.
Vitale
All-American

Postby OldPony » Thu Jan 22, 2004 1:41 pm

It does sound Bill Callahan-esque. He didn't call them stupid but he did say they are wusses. I agree with him. I also think he has lost this team. Maybe they are laying down to get a new coach. If so, they are playing a dangerous game and would appear to be Callahan players. Dement needs to leave if he can't right this ship this year. I think he is a good coach as he has proven elsewhere but it no longer matters whether he is good, bad or indifferent if he can't get this team back. I will bet that all who have been calling for his job for the past 2-3 years will be calling for our new coaches job within 3 years. In fact, if these athletes are as good as many of you think, a new coach should win next year since he has all of the starters back except Lowe and the team will have more experience than any during Dement's tenure. Hire a new guy but fire him if he doesn't make the tourney next year to be consistent. Why do we even care anymore?
OldPony
Heisman

Postby Sam I Am » Thu Jan 22, 2004 2:08 pm

This time Stallion has got it right when it comes to the responsibility the AD has in marketing SMU sports and hiring or firing coaches. Since the school president supports athletics, the AD should be able to get the admistrative changes needed for student athletes too. Maybe Stallion sees that the right personnel are the keys to the internal reforms that gives SMU a level playing field. I share with him the desire for getting back to top level Div. 1-A competitiveness. Right on! ;)
Sam I Am
Sam I Am
Hall of Famer

Postby OldPony » Thu Jan 22, 2004 2:17 pm

I can't tell whether Stallion is totally serious or not. The only way he is would be if he really believes that Copeland hasn't tried or been effective in getting the restrictions removed and that another AD could be more effictive given the circumstances. IMHO-Copeland should have the guts to say publicly that no coach can win here until things change but I fully understand (especially reading this board) that it is safer and more responsive to big mouth alums to just keep firing coaches. If he can get through one more round of coaches he'll be old enough to retire and he can tell everyone on the golf course how good SMU's Sears Cup standing were while he was here.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby ponyboy » Thu Jan 22, 2004 2:39 pm

Peace, OP. Serious question. I'm not sure what you mean by the statement that things need to change. What exactly needs to change? What would you propose we do?
I’m coming home
I’m coming home
Tell the World I’m coming home
ponyboy

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Jan 22, 2004 8:08 pm

his quotes just sum up Dement's frustration with this team. Yes, it's tough when you are honest and it will probably hurt the kids feelings. Dement could have stuck with the "coach speak" and said he and his staff just didn't do a good job of preparing the boys, but at some point you just have to stop dancing. I would imagine Dement has probably questioned this team's heart in meetings with the team...like after the OSU game (when all he said publicly is "they're tired"). Personally, I'm glad he said it and that the guys will have all week to think about it. Let's see if they really are as talented as they lead us to believe when they beat TTech and Purdue. Let's find out what they're made of. If the end result is that they roll over and Dement gets fired, what coach is going to be anxious to come in and work with this bunch? They will all be starting all over again in earning their scholarships and they may wish they still played for the guy that believed in them when he offered them those scholarships to begin with.
Charleston Pony

Return to Basketball