PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Boise State

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Boise State

Postby PonyLawExpress » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:54 pm

SMU_Alum11 wrote:
skyscraper wrote:McMurray joins the team for this game and it's at Moody. We should be just fine.

I really hope he isn’t a disappointment like Akoy. We need a game changer..

McMurray can 100% ball. No worries there. You can maybe worry how he will fit scheme or on D, but he can 100% play and score the rock.

I hope Akoy can get back to normal at some point.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby Pony_Law » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:55 pm

SMU_Alum11 wrote:
skyscraper wrote:McMurray joins the team for this game and it's at Moody. We should be just fine.

Seriously, it looks like akoy at 6’9” couldn’t even dunk right now. Something is searously still messed up in that knee.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:56 pm

SMU Section F wrote:
SMU_Alum11 wrote:

I still think we need to hold off final judgement on Agau; that injury sounds like it really lingered. If he can actually get past it, he may still contribute.

Excited to see what McMurray can bring us for sure.

You’re right. I’m just frustrated that we put him in. He only should go in if: a player is knocked out or if we have a large lead. We saw in the Bahamas that he throws the offense into limbo. I understand the medical issue and hope he gets better.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyLawExpress » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:34 am

Yep. I loved Jank's rotation and subbing against USC, but the fouls seemed to throw it off today. We had some really bad mixes of guys on the court at the same time tonight that killed our offensive flow. However, its Hard to win on the road when the other team is 12-24 from 3 and makes 30 FT's.

I expect to see a 6 man rotation come conference for big games consisting of of the Starters + McMurray. Then will probably see Akoy & Douglas for 4-5 mins in the first half of games to give guys a breather or if foul trouble. We have more depth this year, but not depth that is ready for the big time for long stretches.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby Rebel10 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:36 am

Let’s beat Boise first.
#HammerDown
Rebel10
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyFan32 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:36 pm

We need to be giving Akoy as many minutes as he can handle in the remaining OOC games (excluding Boise). And then we can give him some minutes against ECU, South Florida, etc at the lower end of the conference. We are going to need him at some point, so he needs to be given the opportunity to get back in game condition.

I agree that we're going to heavily rely on the following guys in conference (Shake, Jarrey, Gu, Ethan, Whitt and McMurray), but I don't want to have to repeat last year's "6 guys for 35 minutes each" performance. Beside injury luck, that only worked because we had 6 skilled veterans who were well accustomed to the college game.

I think we will be able to get 10 solid minutes from Douglas per game by the time conference comes around. He has quietly started to impress me in little ways. He won't get that in the big games simply because we don't have enough guard minutes to go around this year.

More controversially, I think we could even get Ray 10 minutes a game in most conference games. He isn't as much of a drag offensively as Akoy right now, and he usually has good positioning for boards. Not saying he would get 10 minutes a game against WSU or Cincy or UCF or Temple, but I think he is good enough right now to get a little run against the other teams.
PonyFan32
Heisman

Postby deucetz » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:50 pm

Akoy is not going to be ready this season. Maybe he can be ready by the tournament. I feel we should pull the scholarship after this year if possible.

Why is he overweight. You are a seasoned athlete with plenty of resources. I don't mind that he is stiff, but its compounded with his weight issues. Was he not doing anything. I expect his upper body and weight should have been ready for the season.
deucetz
All-American

Postby Rebel10 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:51 pm

deucetz wrote:Akoy is not going to be ready this season. Maybe he can be ready by the tournament. I feel we should pull the scholarship after this year if possible.

Why is he overweight. You are a seasoned athlete with plenty of resources. I don't mind that he is stiff, but its compounded with his weight issues. Was he not doing anything. I expect his upper body and weight should have been ready for the season.

I think it was his injury that hurt him the most.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby deucetz » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:59 pm

I understand it is the injury but still. He came as a grad transfer, and this is his one opportunity to play extended minutes. He is supposed to be a leader on the team. I understand he can't exercise the way he wanted to during the off season but that has nothing to do with your diet and conditioning the muscles that do work.

I definitely understand I am riding him hard. I hope he is able to turn it around and get the minutes he wanted when he announced his transfer. We have two missing pieces that we desperately need, and he is one of them.
deucetz
All-American

Postby sadderbudweiser » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:50 pm

deucetz wrote:I understand it is the injury but still. He came as a grad transfer, and this is his one opportunity to play extended minutes. He is supposed to be a leader on the team. I understand he can't exercise the way he wanted to during the off season but that has nothing to do with your diet and conditioning the muscles that do work.

I definitely understand I am riding him hard. I hope he is able to turn it around and get the minutes he wanted when he announced his transfer. We have two missing pieces that we desperately need, and he is one of them.

I'm not sure what you, or any of us for that matter, expected from Agau. No doubt he has been useless so far and it will take him time to get in game shape....maybe even this entire season. But frankly his numbers at the two previous stops indicate he's little more than a role player. Not everyone can be Semi.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby ponyboy101 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:00 pm

this is a must win, assuming we handle business in moody (wich we should) we would be 10-3 going into conference play. we need at least to get over 21 wins to be a bubble team and in a G5 conference a least 25 to be a lock. so that means we would have to be 11-7 in AAC play to be a bubble team and to be a lock we would have to go 15-3 or get to 13-14 wins and then win one one or two in the conference tournement. wich I think we are capable of doing. but if we can't get it together on the road vs decent teams we will lose games like Wichita, Cincy, Houston, and Uconn. wich would put us in the NIT.... so this is defiantly a big game and I hope the fans and especially the players realize that.
ponyboy101
Recruit

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:15 pm

ponyboy101 wrote:this is a must win, assuming we handle business in moody (wich we should) we would be 10-3 going into conference play. we need at least to get over 21 wins to be a bubble team and in a G5 conference a least 25 to be a lock. so that means we would have to be 11-7 in AAC play to be a bubble team and to be a lock we would have to go 15-3 or get to 13-14 wins and then win one one or two in the conference tournement. wich I think we are capable of doing. but if we can't get it together on the road vs decent teams we will lose games like Wichita, Cincy, Houston, and Uconn. wich would put us in the NIT.... so this is defiantly a big game and I hope the fans and especially the players realize that.

I agree but the resume wins helps alleviate the G5 issue a bit especially if USC and Zona go on a win streak and hit the top of the PAC. Seeing so far how we have played on the road, I'm concern that we will be competing in every game even against the lower teams in the AAC. Hopefully McMurray can be a needed fire for the team and we can defend the house even against the top teams and steal some wins from them on the road to get the lock. Anytime SMU is on the bubble it always seems to burst against us.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Previous

Return to Basketball