PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Thoughts on TCU loss

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Thoughts on TCU loss

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:44 pm

Give TCU credit...they played pretty well last night and shot lights out. Key was that they hit their FTs when we had to get into fouling mode to dig out of a deep hole late. Hope our guys can respond like that if/when rolls are reversed and someone is trying to come back against us. As for attendance, I agree that for whatever reason, TCU fans did not show well for what should have been a pretty big deal for them (best opportunity in last 6 years to beat a crosstown rival). Even without a packed arena, there is a significant home court advantage in basketball. As someone else pointed out, sight lines affect shooters and anyone who has played the game knows that. Looks to me like this has the makings of a really good rivalry between the 2 schools going forward and I think road wins are going to be very hard to come by.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMU Section F » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:03 am

SMU_Alum11 wrote:
Big Frog II wrote:
SMU_Alum11 wrote:"ReedFrawg: 6,800 is fine for attendance on a Tuesday night at 8PM. Will be a lot better and louder in conference play."

No way thats like when our football stadium say 24k when its like 12k. There couldn't have been more than 1k people there including the SMU fans.

1000 people? Really?

That’s how it looked like on tv. So many open seats, so many. Reminded me of Ford with a dome.

There's definitely some exaggeration going on both sides regarding the number of people there, but after seeing the results of the renovation I'd be really disappointed as a TCU fan. Especially compared to how well the Moody renovation turned out.
SMU Section F
Heisman

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:06 am

Screw fans, think of recruits. I would be like what the crap is this?!
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby deepellumfrog » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:10 am

[/quote]
There's definitely some exaggeration going on both sides regarding the number of people there, but after seeing the results of the renovation I'd be really disappointed as a TCU fan. Especially compared to how well the Moody renovation turned out.[/quote]

I love the renovation, way better than it used to be. Having said that I prefer the fieldhouse style of arena like yours, but given the design limitations, this is a way better place to watch basketball now. Better team helps too
deepellumfrog
All-American

Postby SMU Section F » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:49 am

deepellumfrog wrote:
SMU Section F wrote:There's definitely some exaggeration going on both sides regarding the number of people there, but after seeing the results of the renovation I'd be really disappointed as a TCU fan. Especially compared to how well the Moody renovation turned out.

I love the renovation, way better than it used to be. Having said that I prefer the fieldhouse style of arena like yours, but given the design limitations, this is a way better place to watch basketball now. Better team helps too

Fair point. Moody did have a better starting point. Not a fan of the bowls at all.
SMU Section F
Heisman

Postby 1983 Cotton Bowl » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:14 pm

mustang92 wrote:I don't get how tcu is out-recruiting us. Dixon might be the 2nd coming and all that, but the atmosphere in Moody vs. that "renovated" dump should tip the scale in our favor.

Well, Dixon is a good recruiter and he is recruiting to the Big 12. Conference may not be as big a factor as in football perhaps, but its still a factor. The biggest thing holding TCU back the last few years is that the program was a dumpster fire and they were playing in a FWISD gym in a crappy part of east Fort Worth. Those impediments are now gone. Not entirely surprising that Dixon is having significant recruiting success.
1983 Cotton Bowl
Heisman

Postby Rebel10 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:48 pm

1983 Cotton Bowl wrote:
mustang92 wrote:I don't get how tcu is out-recruiting us. Dixon might be the 2nd coming and all that, but the atmosphere in Moody vs. that "renovated" dump should tip the scale in our favor.

Well, Dixon is a good recruiter and he is recruiting to the Big 12. Conference may not be as big a factor as in football perhaps, but its still a factor. The biggest thing holding TCU back the last few years is that the program was a dumpster fire and they were playing in a FWISD gym in a crappy part of east Fort Worth. Those impediments are now gone. Not entirely surprising that Dixon is having significant recruiting success.

True on the Big 12. TCU will be playing Kansas, OU, OSU, UT, KSU, and ISU amongst others every year. We are playing WSU, Cincinnati and hopefully a couple other teams since UConn has started to tank.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Thoughts on TCU loss

Postby smusic 00 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:07 pm

For the same cost, TCU could’ve scraped that dome and built something really cool. Too bad.

Also, until UConn, Memphis, and Temple start pulling their weight again the B12 is a much better conference to recruit to, especially for Texas kids.
smusic 00

Postby Stallion » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:10 am

yep 30 year mistake-even the TCU TV production couldn't capture much of any excitement from the fans
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby ponyboy » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:42 pm

I think watching TCU students sit, yawn, and use their mobile phones is very exciting tv fare. Beats jumping, screaming lobster and hot dog costumes all day.
ponyboy

Previous

Return to Basketball