PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Thoughts on TCU loss

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Thoughts on TCU loss

Postby jimhagle » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:43 pm

Rebel10 wrote:The loss definitely does not help our recruiting.

You think TCU beats USC and Arizona? I doubt it. Our recruiting will be fine especially after those 2 wins.
jimhagle
Heisman

Postby papawasamustang » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:46 pm

jimhagle wrote:

You think TCU beats USC and Arizona? I doubt it. Our recruiting will be fine especially after those 2 wins.

I saw the 2 DeSoto recruits in person of couple of weeks ago. We are in good shape there.
Add Maxey & Timme, Jank as a walk on & the train will keep on rolling.
"We have a great bunch of outside shooters. Unfortunately, all our games are played indoors."
papawasamustang
Heisman

Postby Rebel10 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:01 pm

jimhagle wrote:

We will see. So far of the 5 players the Jank has recruited or obtained by transfer only one has had significant contributions. I know that the other rookies may need time to develop but TCU beat us and they are out recruiting us. Now that’s not including McMurray but only time will tell.
#HammerDown
Rebel10
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMU Section F » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:09 pm

jimhagle wrote:

I think it's very possible they would, especially with Robinson on the court. Jamie Dixon is working some magic over there in Fort Worth and we'd be crazy to ignore it.

There's a good chance that the home team wins the next few match ups between SMU and TCU.

That said, the effect on recruiting is overstated. Too many other factors.
SMU Section F
Heisman

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:11 pm

SMU Section F wrote:
jimhagle wrote:

I think it's very possible they would, especially with Robinson on the court. Jamie Dixon is working some magic over there in Fort Worth and we'd be crazy to ignore it.

I think there's a good chance that the home team wins the next few match ups between SMU and TCU.

That said, I think the effect on recruiting is overstated. Too many other factors.

I think next time we are there with our team and future recruits. We will be stomping on some frogs.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustang92 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:40 pm

I don't get how tcu is out-recruiting us. Dixon might be the 2nd coming and all that, but the atmosphere in Moody vs. that "renovated" dump should tip the scale in our favor.

I'm sick that we lost. It's December. It's early. We're young. We have some moments of greatness, and I have faith in Jank to coach these guys up. I think we'll be better in February and March now. If this were anyone other than tcu, it would sting much much less. But it wasn't anyone other than tcu so I still feel like I'm gonna vomit every time I think about that stupid game.

They seemed to want it more, and we didn't seem to play with any sense of urgency except for a few minutes toward the end of each half.

I agree we kick their @$$es in Moody, but tourney games aren't played at home. We have to get better on the road - whether it's a hostile environment or a neutral site.

The combination of our last opponent vs. their last opponent, the short turnaround from the USC game, and not playing at home probably gave them a significant advantage, but none of that matters in the end. Only the final score matters. We have to be good enough to overcome all that. We'll forever be one-and-done in the tourney if we don't get over that hump.

All is not lost, but I still fill like $h!t today with the combination of Chad bolting for freakin' arkansas and b-ball losing to tcu. UGH!
mustang92
Scout Team

Postby sadderbudweiser » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:41 pm

It's pretty simple:

We are in a rebuilding year with only three returning players and a bench full of freshmen. Agau isn't up to par, McMurray can't play yet and Mike sits until next season. We are the visiting team.

Frogs return everybody and add a few to a year where they won the NIT. They are the home team.

Yes, we could have won but odds were against it. We'd need a pretty awesome effort. Instead we got out-rebounded and out shot. Not our night, not our gym.

Look out next year toads.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby Pony ^ » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:48 pm

Next time we are playing in Fort Worth, hopefully Maxey will be our PG and we will be loaded. But yes, I agree the home team will win each game in this series for the next few yrs
Pony ^

Postby ReedFrawg » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:50 pm

6,800 is fine for attendance on a Tuesday night at 8PM. Will be a lot better and louder in conference play.
ReedFrawg
Heisman

Postby skyscraper » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:21 pm

lol there were not 6,800 people in that arena
skyscraper

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:23 pm

ReedFrawg wrote:6,800 is fine for attendance on a Tuesday night at 8PM. Will be a lot better and louder in conference play.

No way thats like when our football stadium say 24k when its like 12k. There couldn't have been more than 1k people there including the SMU fans.
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby midwestpony » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:34 pm

SMU_Alum11 wrote:
ReedFrawg wrote:6,800 is fine for attendance on a Tuesday night at 8PM. Will be a lot better and louder in conference play.

No way thats like when our football stadium say 24k when its like 12k. There couldn't have been more than 1k people there including the SMU fans.

I was there and would say 3500-4000 (Ima bad judge though. Would say there student section had close to 500 students but sounded like 50. Much quieter than moody. I think a fair amount of that has to do with the design the large open dome does not help reverberate the sound. Additionally having all the students in one end-zone dampened there impact.
midwestpony
Recruit

Postby Big Frog II » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:39 pm

SMU_Alum11 wrote:

1000 people? Really?
Big Frog II
Scout Team

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:59 pm

mustang92 wrote: we didn't seem to play with any sense of urgency except for a few minutes toward the end of each half.

Hard to believe with those bitchin' anthracite uniforms. I thought they were supposed to totally pump up the team!
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:12 pm

Big Frog II wrote:
SMU_Alum11 wrote:

1000 people? Really?

That’s how it looked like on tv. So many open seats, so many. Reminded me of Ford with a dome.
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball