PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Thoughts on TCU loss

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Thoughts on TCU loss

Postby ReedFrawg » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:30 am

Rebel10 wrote:
ReedFrawg wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:TCU overall height did bother us. But the big thing probably was this was their super bowl.

Not trying to be a jerk but this line is a bit ridiculous. The crowds will be bigger and better for games against UT, OU, Ok St, Kansas, WVU, Baylor, Tech. I think most TCU fans don't feel the "rivalry" with SMU means what it did even 5 - 10 years ago (even though it's still a meaningful game). Hope you guys get on a roll.

Just repeating a Patterson phrase to mess with TCU fans. But the RI Stang said since we had won 5 in a row it needs to be more back and forth with wins to be considered a real rivalry. Hope you guys do well too so you won’t destroy our RPI once you get in Big 12 play.

I hear ya.
ReedFrawg
Heisman

Postby Deep Purple » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:31 am

With all these comments about how TCU fans were quiet and passive and it was like a neutral-court game, what I'm hearing SMU fans saying is that SMU is strictly a home-court team that was unable to beat TCU on a neutral court.

Is that really your bragging point?
These Frogs have horns!
Deep Purple
Junior Varsity

Postby ponyboy101 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:32 am

disappointing, giving up 94 points against a cross town rival that you now have to recruit against. Tcu made us play there game instead of us making them play ours. We cannot win when we have to play in a shootout, I also don't like how we are 1-3 away from moody, the 2 losses against UNI and TCU are somewhat understandable, but blowing an 8 point lead with 5 minutes left against Western Kentucky? are you serious! I'm concerned our only conference road wins will be against teams like Tulane and ECU. I hope they prove me wrong...
ponyboy101
Recruit

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:41 am

Deep Purple wrote:With all these comments about how TCU fans were quiet and passive and it was like a neutral-court game, what I'm hearing SMU fans saying is that SMU is strictly a home-court team that was unable to beat TCU on a neutral court.

Not bragging... disappointed
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Prideful Pony » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:52 am

ponyboy101 wrote:disappointing, giving up 94 points against a cross town rival that you now have to recruit against. Tcu made us play there game instead of us making them play ours. We cannot win when we have to play in a shootout, I also don't like how we are 1-3 away from moody, the 2 losses against UNI and TCU are somewhat understandable, but blowing an 8 point lead with 5 minutes left against Western Kentucky? are you serious! I'm concerned our only conference road wins will be against teams like Tulane and ECU. I hope they prove me wrong...

This is just not accurate. Despite the scoreline that game was far from a shootout; their last 16 points came from the foul line when we extended the game. Our defense looked fairly good outside of foul trouble, forcing turnovers and making it hard inside the arc. But TCU hit 50% from 3 and our offense stalled/turned it over far too much to capitalize.

The challenge is our offensive spark is purely in the starting five. If we get in foul trouble or a couple have an off night, there is no one coming off the bench to save us. Last year we could get away with that by leaning heavily on Semi and Sterling when our offense bogged down. This group is still figuring it out. Fingers crossed that McMurray is an instant fit that gives our freshman more time to grow from the deep bench.
Prideful Pony
Junior Varsity

Postby Pony_Law » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:32 pm

Douglass needs to be more agressive on the offensive end when he is in the game. He is a good shooter has good length and is athletic as heck (he can put the ball on the floor and get into the paint). If he shot as much as landrum did he would be a nice little jolt off the bench for us because I think his shots would go in.

Landrum, needs to shoot less threes. He should either drive when he is left alone behind the arc or pass. He doesn't have bad shooting form, but for whatever reason he can't seem to make that shot. Do what GU did his early years here, get into the paint with athleticism, be a good passer, draw fouls, and be energetic on Defense.

As a team we are shooting 40% on the season (if you eliminate Landrum's shoots it rises to 43%). We shot 12% below our season average last night. We shoot average yesterday we win, even with TCU going light's out (they would have had less free throws down the stretch). I blame a let down from USC (tired legs and decreased energy) and foul trouble on the game. Additionally, when you play a team at their place there is always going to be at least one opposing player that just goes off from 3 (we often have multiple player do it at moody). Finally, in every game we have lost this year BOTH shake and Gu have been ice cold from three. We still win games when just one of them is off.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby Topper » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:27 pm

TCU stunk the joint up for so many years. I am glad to see them playing well. Of course I hate that we lost, but at least we lost to a good team and will have them at our place next year. We have trouble getting better teams to play at Moody so if a much improved TCU teams visits home and home that gives us a better shot at a meaningful win that we might not otherwise have. Ask Gonzaga if they want to come back to Dallas. This team is inconsistent because it is so young. There is talent there and it needs to develop and the younger guys need to learn to play on the road. I like where we are.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby Topper » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:32 pm

Deep Purple wrote:With all these comments about how TCU fans were quiet and passive and it was like a neutral-court game, what I'm hearing SMU fans saying is that SMU is strictly a home-court team that was unable to beat TCU on a neutral court.

TCU fans will be less sensitive once they get more used to winning. But you have to wonder why they were such a non-factor playing against a cross town rival that had won 5 years in a row. I guess part of it has to do with TCU being a "football" school and that team has certainly given them a lot to be proud of.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:35 pm

Topper wrote:

TCU fans will be less sensitive once they get more used to winning. But you have to wonder why they were such a non-factor playing against a cross town rival that had won 5 years in a row. I guess part of it has to do with TCU being a "football" school and that team has certainly given them a lot to be proud of.

Tuesday night games suck. Could be during finals week. We weren't ranked. I think those were the main factors for that empty stadium. I think fans outside of the student population: it was a Tuesday and they're a football school.
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby 1983 Cotton Bowl » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:57 pm

Topper wrote:

Looked like lots of empty seats last night. Yes, TCU is a football school first and foremost. I think it's also fair to say they don't really view us as a major rivalry game anymore, despite our recent success against them on the bball court. A game that is somewhat more interesting than the typical non-conference matchup perhaps. . . but not really a rivalry. At least that's my experience living in Fort Worth as an SMU guy.
1983 Cotton Bowl
Heisman

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:19 pm

1983 Cotton Bowl wrote:
Topper wrote:

Looked like lots of empty seats last night. Yes, TCU is a football school first and foremost. I think it's also fair to say they don't really view us as a major rivalry game anymore, despite our recent success against them on the bball court. A game that is somewhat more interesting than the typical non-conference matchup perhaps. . . but not really a rivalry. At least that's my experience living in Fort Worth as an SMU guy.

We need to get into a brawl with their players or find a way to win by an embarrassing amount of points to reignite this rivalry. Losing football every year kills it. Basketball has to always do the same as well so we can give each other crap for the other's losing sport.
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby East Coast Mustang » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:14 pm

There’s more that goes into home court advantage than fan support. Familiarity with the arena for shooting angles and depth perception is a significant factor. SMU doesn’t play in many other bowl arenas- in fact I can’t think of one in our conference off the top of my head, although I believe Wichita’s is.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Rebel10 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:18 pm

The loss definitely does not help our recruiting.
#HammerDown
Rebel10
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:22 pm

I don't know if it hurt our recruiting. Just because you lose, it doesn't make a recruit go: wow I'm not a loser so I don't want to be with losers. If anything, just looks like he will be given more minutes than at TCU. If anything, I think it could have hurt TCU more. That attendance was pathetic. If I was picking between SMU and TCU, and I saw SMU's crowd on bigtime TV vs FoxSportsGo with no one there and actually hearing a SMU chant. I think I take SMU. Just saying.
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustang1992 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:33 pm

I was in sec. 218 with a pretty good rep of SMU fans and when we got the SMU chant going (it took that to get their crowd into the game btw), some of the TCWho purple hairs sitting in front of us turned around and acted like they did not know what we were doing. LOL Too bad we could not take care of the team, we really would have gotten annoying.
mustang1992
All-American

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball