PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Why is no one talking about the re-seating at Moody?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Why is no one talking about the re-seating at Moody?

Postby Pony ^ » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:26 pm

when most people decide to pick and choose which games they go to (secondary market purchases), games like the one coming up against NOLA will have 1,500 people in the stands.
Pony ^
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Mestengo » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:33 pm

Here's an idea.
The website configuration other major programs have used allows you a certain time to login with your credentials at your current donation level allowing you to bid on seats live in your given donation range. This eliminates the guess work and empowers you to pay as much as you wish to achieve Moody seating domination and increase revenues.

You must login to the site set up your account to fund prior too. Then you start on the floor
4 seats max. Opening bid for Mr Miller's seats are 250k 10 min to bid keep clicking till no one else can.
Then keep moving in the 4 seat range on the floor till it's all sold out. Next Loge - you must purchase and bid on all of the seats in each loge. Highest bider wins. Moving to the blue best seats first.

Meanwhile you can see what has been sold / available . This will engage the wealthiest to compete amongst them selves. :mrgreen:
Mestengo
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Pony_Law » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:43 pm

Pony ^ wrote:when most people decide to pick and choose which games they go to (secondary market purchases), games like the one coming up against NOLA will have 1,500 people in the stands.

Maybe, But I currently go to those games right now. I would like to think I will still go to those games when they are even cheaper for me. I have no doubt SMU will sell the same number of season tickets (or very close to that same number). The worry I have is a) the new "moneyed" season ticket holder will not attend games at the same clip as ones that are forced out b) this price structure will likely lead to corporate expensive/buying meaning rich guy buys 4 premium seats and they sit in a desk draw at the office for 80% of the games c) rich old smu fans don't get loud and cheer.

Some of this is already a problem there are 4 center court seats right next to mine that have been used exactly once so far this season (USC)
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby mrydel » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:44 pm

Haha. Since many of the donors will be in my age group or older, the ability of many to log on to the internet may cause a problem. Perhaps they can get a grandchild to assist.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby One Trick Pony » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:48 pm

- Pushing the 260k button
One Trick Pony

Postby One Trick Pony » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:57 pm

mrydel wrote:Haha. Since many of the donors will be in my age group or older, the ability of many to log on to the internet may cause a problem. Perhaps they can get a grandchild to assist.

You've excelled at your computer knowledge these wealthy people have secretaries that do that stuff all day long.
He'll say I'll go a maximum of 200,000. or I'm out.
One Trick Pony

Postby Blunt Pony » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:11 pm

Thoughts on the re-seating that I think should be considered.

I understand the money grab and the need to fund the program. I am for that. Can it be balanced with rewarding your loyal fan? Let's just say you have been a season ticket holder for 10 consecutive years (or pick a different threshold). You can keep your seats at the new price or jump into the lotto. Let them decide. Maybe this is a few hundred people. Don't run them off, give them the opportunity to stay on board at the new prices.

Regarding the increased donation thresholds and ticket prices, it is not about being cheap, it is about treating your fan base like they are idiots. Like many people have pointed out, if the tickets get too pricey or I get shoved into the last row, I just drop my season tickets and cherry pick the best games on the secondary market. Even paying top dollar for the good games, I would come out way ahead vs. buying the season tickets depending on the location/donation. This is not good for the program and will result in a lot of empty seats.

All this being said, I think SMU has an opportunity to both increase their revenue and support of the program while not alienating their base which they will most certainly need when and if times get lean again.
Blunt Pony
Varsity

Postby mrydel » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:27 pm

One Trick Pony wrote:
mrydel wrote:Haha. Since many of the donors will be in my age group or older, the ability of many to log on to the internet may cause a problem. Perhaps they can get a grandchild to assist.

You've excelled at your computer knowledge these wealthy people have secretaries that do that stuff all day long.
He'll say I'll go a maximum of 200,000. or I'm out.

I am afraid I would end up owing $500,000
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby mustang1992 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:06 pm

Pony_Law wrote:Saw the email yesterday. It’s pretty ridiculous and a blatant cash grab. I have a feeling there is a reverse correlation between donation level and attendance. Also filling moody with older donors is going to kill the atmosphere. That said the proposed amounts aren’t a huge increase for my particular seats. Just hope a rich donor who doesn’t show up and takes them From me because he dontate a lot more money.

Hmm...I did not receive any email from smu athletics about this? I sent them an inquiry today. Not looking forward to all this drama again next year. :(
mustang1992
All-American

Postby StallionsModelT » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:41 am

I don’t think many of you realize the massive deficits that our AD runs each year. Basketball is the only sport that truly is a revenue generator. How about you pound a few less beers talking about the next ski trip to Aspen in the concourse and help sustain SMU athletics.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Postby Pony ^ » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:44 am

This isn't a money grab to fund basketball, it's a money grab to fund the football team. Moody Magic is approaching it's death.
Pony ^

Postby Pony_Law » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:50 am

StallionsModelT wrote:I don’t think many of you realize the massive deficits that our AD runs each year. Basketball is the only sport that truly is a revenue generator. How about you pound a few less beers talking about the next ski trip to Aspen in the concourse and help sustain SMU athletics.

Simple answer to that is to Slash the football budget. If the football team is just going to be an audition ground for coaches looking for better jobs, there is no reason to pay them 2.5 million a year. Pay them a million 1.5 million right there.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby okcponyfan » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:13 am

the problem with the "i will just wait to buy them on the secondary market" approach is that many of the people who will get season tickets, don't know how or it is not worth their time to post them on the secondary market.

Most people who can pony up the money to be in the red seats, it isn't worth their time to sell the tickets to the NOLA game for $50 each.

With the scanning of tickets SMU knows how often each seat is used.
okcponyfan
Varsity

Postby Blunt Pony » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:27 am

StallionsModelT wrote:I don’t think many of you realize the massive deficits that our AD runs each year. Basketball is the only sport that truly is a revenue generator. How about you pound a few less beers talking about the next ski trip to Aspen in the concourse and help sustain SMU athletics.

That is the problem. When you keep pushing the burden on the people that are already there, they get money fatigue. The idea is to generate new interest and revenue rather than continue to put the load on the folks that are already customers. Eventually they realize that there are alternatives and they just go away. It is happening in all sports at all levels.
Blunt Pony
Varsity

Postby Crong » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:19 am

I won't renew next year. We've had season tickets pre-renovation. We traveled to Garland, away games, and Tulsa to see the team play. My tickets have been used for every game 5 years straight. I'm a big college basketball fan, but my time, loyalty, and alumni status isn't valued. I'm raising toddlers that already ask to go events at SMU. Pushing out the loyal alums in the name of a short sighted money grab will decrease the number of future fans.
Crong
Varsity

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball