PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Why is no one talking about the re-seating at Moody?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Why is no one talking about the re-seating at Moody?

Postby Bergermeister » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:33 am

Crong wrote: I'm a big college basketball fan, but my time, loyalty, and alumni status isn't valued.

I agree. The SMU basketball "fan" is a relic, replaced by the SMU basketball "donor". Big donors may be fans but, in some cases, not all fans can be donors. Hence, you're an afterthought.
Last edited by Bergermeister on Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bergermeister
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ObeyMyDog » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:36 am

SMU AD dept from a general mission point of view just sucks. I am sure there are good people in there trying their hardest but, man. Starts from the top, though.

The crowd for USC was not what it should have been. That isn't the result of the team and product on the floor, it's all the seating BS tinkering across the board the AD has been doing because basketball is (approach was, now) their pretty toy they can play with and brag about.

I don't know how to explain it - but having been to 90% of games since new Moody opened, the energy across the board in all seats is so far down. I understand as we get used to winning the crowd energy of lower tier opponent games will be ho hum - I get that. But.... this was THE game on the calendar this year. 9PM on a Saturday and the crowd was pretty good? I guess?

Then AD dept sends out this nonsense. At this point just sell most of the tickets direct online or something and at least be honest about profit maximization.
Usually, the team that scores the most points wins the game - John Madden
ObeyMyDog
Varsity

Postby gostangs » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:42 am

Wichita state is the top game of the year.

I had a great time at USC and thought the crowd was fantastic. Very loud and into it.
gostangs

Postby ObeyMyDog » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:54 am

gostangs wrote:Wichita state is the top game of the year.

I had a great time at USC and thought the crowd was fantastic. Very loud and into it.

With the tourney last year, USC was the game. Players circled it and would tell anyone who asked. Wichita State will be cool, but there is zero history there.

Don't get me wrong, I said crowd was pretty good. Just doesn't feel the same and I can't put my finger on it. Aside from the fact some seats are empty which used to be full, my current theory is we don't have the Nic Moore heat check buckets anymore. Those would set the place off. Maybe McMurray can bring some of that back.
ObeyMyDog
Varsity

Postby ObeyMyDog » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:02 pm

Also, I know Foster can - but we are totally lacking in authoritative dunks this year. Semi and Sterling took those with them.
ObeyMyDog
Varsity

Postby Crong » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:35 pm

Bergermeister wrote:
Crong wrote: I'm a big college basketball fan, but my time, loyalty, and alumni status isn't valued.

I agree. The SMU basketball "fan" is a relic, replaced by the SMU basketball "donor". Big donors may be fans but, in some cases, not all fans can't be donors. Hence, you're an afterthought.

You're right. Unfortunately for the school, we are donors and are invited to events due to the level of giving. I guess it's not enough or never will be. We're also members of various alumni committees and season ticket holders of non-athletic events. We're engaged with the school. The school's message has been heard, and future participation, financial and otherwise, will be greatly reduced. These are the collateral consequences.
Crong
Varsity

Postby One Trick Pony » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:09 pm

ESPN ☆ CBS SPORTS & FOX are the best seats in the House anybody want my seats for the Nola game?
One Trick Pony

Postby SMU Section F » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:32 pm

StallionsModelT wrote:I don’t think many of you realize the massive deficits that our AD runs each year. Basketball is the only sport that truly is a revenue generator. How about you pound a few less beers talking about the next ski trip to Aspen in the concourse and help sustain SMU athletics.

If it was an issue of a "few less beers", I don't think anyone would care. Hell, I don't even care that much about the price increases. Though they do seem to be well above market value, I'd pay it happily for the emotional/nostalgic value of my seats. I will not however hand over thousands of dollars w/ no idea what benefit I will receive.

Not to mention, SMU as a whole is a massive revenue generator. If someone wants to use academia's creative accounting to make me feel sorry for them, that's just not going to work.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see how everything shakes out.
SMU Section F
Heisman

Postby ponydawg » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:49 pm

My same seats next year, IF I can get them will cost a total of $3,000 for 2 tickets.
Thats about $165 per ticket per game, even against mighty Arkansas Pine Bluff.
If $165 per ticket is my budget per game off of stubhub, I can get good seats against NOLA for $12 and floor seats to the upcoming Boise game under that $165 - not counting the $306 I saved for buying cheap tickets to Nola off stubhub.

That being said, money is not my main concern, if I can't afford the jump, I can't afford it, my big concern is ATMOSPHERE! If I'm on the fence, how many others are there? If a fan for 20 years can envision skipping the Paul Quinn game next year because I don't have season tickets in hand, along with a bunch of other very weak excuses, I fear moody will look very unimpressive.

I'm fine with SMU trying to get as much money as they can, I just hope its enough to justify the potential drop off.
ponydawg
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby lollaperuna » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:52 pm

ObeyMyDog wrote:

With the tourney last year, USC was the game. Players circled it and would tell anyone who asked. Wichita State will be cool, but there is zero history there.

Don't get me wrong, I said crowd was pretty good. Just doesn't feel the same and I can't put my finger on it. Aside from the fact some seats are empty which used to be full, my current theory is we don't have the Nic Moore heat check buckets anymore. Those would set the place off. Maybe McMurray can bring some of that back.

Several factors played into that not being what you hoped it would be. 1)Thanksgiving weekend 2) late start 3) USC isn't a basketball power, even though they were ranked and we wanted payback

This is going to be an interesting year based on what we've seen so far.
lollaperuna
All-American

Postby PonySnob » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:38 pm

lollaperuna wrote:
ObeyMyDog wrote:

Several factors played into that not being what you hoped it would be. 1)Thanksgiving weekend 2) late start 3) USC isn't a basketball power, even though they were ranked and we wanted payback

This is going to be an interesting year based on what we've seen so far.

Actually USC wasn’t Thanksgiving weekend.
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby One Trick Pony » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:03 pm

I can't sit in the red seats
One Trick Pony

Postby lollaperuna » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:43 pm

PonySnob wrote:
Actually USC wasn’t Thanksgiving weekend.

Sorry....Thanksgiving hangover weekend. :wink:
lollaperuna
All-American

Postby Rebel10 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:12 am

USC was not a full house?
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby SMU Section F » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:18 pm

Rebel10 wrote:USC was not a full house?

Definitely not. Very good crowd, but plenty of empty seats.
SMU Section F
Heisman

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball