PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Why is no one talking about the re-seating at Moody?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Why is no one talking about the re-seating at Moody?

Postby PerunasHoof » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:42 pm

One Trick Pony wrote:
PerunasHoof wrote:SMU Record for the four seasons leading up to 2011 (since everyone is using that season): 56-72

And then for the four leading up to this season: 109-27

How difficult of a concept is it that if there is more demand, the school is going to raise prices? Either pay it or don't. If you don't, chances are there is someone out there who will. Or just get cheaper seats. I don't understand how people are surprised that their courtside seats are no longer cheap.

Is it ironic that this season is collapsing and they just announced it? Yeah, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be happening. The school should be trying to maximize revenue so maybe it's not just a few big donors paying for everything. Everyone wants a competitive athletic department. This is the price.

Besides, everyone on here went to SMU. You can afford it :D

Big mustang donor?

Haha, no. I sit in 201.

I am, however, the owner of a Chad Morris signed football, if anyone wants that?
PerunasHoof
All-American

Postby One Trick Pony » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:56 pm

PerunasHoof wrote:
One Trick Pony wrote:
PerunasHoof wrote:SMU Record for the four seasons leading up to 2011 (since everyone is using that season): 56-72

How difficult of a concept is it that if there is more demand, the school is going to raise prices? Either pay it or don't. If you don't, chances are there is someone out there who will. Or just get cheaper seats. I don't understand how people are surprised that their courtside seats are no longer cheap.

Is it ironic that this season is collapsing and they just announced it? Yeah, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be happening. The school should be trying to maximize revenue so maybe it's not just a few big donors paying for everything. Everyone wants a competitive athletic department. This is the price.

Big mustang donor?

Haha, no. I sit in 201.

I am, however, the owner of a Chad Morris signed football, if anyone wants that?

I'll give you a case of Redbull for it
One Trick Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PerunasHoof » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:05 pm

Will you throw in your framed picture of June Jones?
PerunasHoof
All-American

Postby One Trick Pony » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:44 pm

That fell off my wall
One Trick Pony

Postby SMU Section F » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:52 pm

I think it is important to note that a lot of complaints aren't about the prices, but about the gambling/bidding aspect of the proposed plan. If I could renew my seats at the proposed prices, I wouldn't have thought twice.

But - while I understand market value isn't the only concern - there is no question that most season ticket holders will be expected to pay more than 5x what their seats are worth from the secondary market.
SMU Section F
Heisman

Postby Mustangsabu » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:44 pm

I didn’t ask for the new Moody. It’s beautiful and a huge improvement. But I don’t buy the logic that I need to pay for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby redpony » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:00 pm

Mustangsabu wrote:I didn’t ask for the new Moody. It’s beautiful and a huge improvement. But I don’t buy the logic that I need to pay for it.

I don't think you are paying for the 'new moody' but paying to help fund the giant deficit created by our fball program. Wonder what the finances in the AD would look like if we only had bball to pay for.
redpony

Postby SMU Section F » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:50 pm

redpony wrote:
Mustangsabu wrote:I didn’t ask for the new Moody. It’s beautiful and a huge improvement. But I don’t buy the logic that I need to pay for it.

I don't think you are paying for the 'new moody' but paying to help fund the giant deficit created by our fball program. Wonder what the finances in the AD would look like if we only had bball to pay for.

I know is incredibly unlikely, but I've long been a proponent of shutting down the football team and focusing on basketball. Won't happen anytime soon and I do enjoy supporting the football team, but I think a school like SMU is much better suited to prioritizing basketball.
SMU Section F
Heisman

Postby Pony_Law » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:02 pm

I don’t think they should fold the FB program but there is no reason to invest into it as much as they do. If our FB is at best a stepping stone for coaches there is no reason to pay the head coach 2.5 mill a year. Scale it back and divert those resources into basketball.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby SMU Section F » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:54 pm

Pony_Law wrote:I don’t think they should fold the FB program but there is no reason to invest into it as much as they do. If our FB is at best a stepping stone for coaches there is no reason to pay the head coach 2.5 mill a year. Scale it back and divert those resources into basketball.

Probably a more reasonable middle ground.
SMU Section F
Heisman

Postby PonyTime » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:02 am

Speaking of football - kind of surprised they have not already done a "re-seat" of the Boulevard spots.

That would be quite a meeting to go to and watch.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby One Trick Pony » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:10 am

Imagine what a large Olympic pool would look like up towards Dallas Hall - bikinis Galore kegs of beer. Pitch it as a fountain .

https://youtu.be/TAOhb34lOFE

Now that's a real G5
One Trick Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:17 pm

One Trick Pony wrote:Imagine what a large Olympic pool would look like up towards Dallas Hall - bikinis Galore kegs of beer. Pitch it as a fountain .

https://youtu.be/TAOhb34lOFE

Now that's a real G5

I realize that school is still a relative newcomer to Division I sports, but with 60k students they have been as much an under-achiever as any in the AAC. They should be 1st on anyone's list of P5 expansion schools. Tremendous potential based on numbers alone.
Charleston Pony

Postby friarwolf » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:18 pm

Long term football and basketball season ticket holder. Got 4 seats in the red seats and I sit in them game after game. Remember when the reseat was going to take into account actual attendance? That quietly disappeared.....I get we need to raise money to fund the programs but as many have said, what pisses me off is that I have to stroke the check and then gamble that my seats will be available to me. This program is guaranteed to extract the largest amount possible and promise the very least to loyal ticket holders.

Raise the price of the seats and guarantee you can keep your seats, not raise the donation amount and give no guarantee unless of course you have stroked $100k in the last 4 years. I have given over 50K in the last 4 years to the Mustang Club/excellence funds and I get jack sh$t for it - on wait, I get points!!!!! I am done - they can kiss my [deleted] and my annual 13.5K in donations goodbye.

Oh and please on the comparisons of where our donations fall in regards to other programs. The ones above us are long term basketball powers and check out Houston's attendance. A lot of those expensive seats are empty.......
friarwolf
Heisman

Postby Bergermeister » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:31 pm

Well put. And understandable.
Bergermeister

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball