PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Why is no one talking about the re-seating at Moody?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Why is no one talking about the re-seating at Moody?

Postby skyscraper » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:44 pm

The bottom line is it's pretty easy to walk away from season tickets because there's little to no demand for half the seats in Moody.
Instead of paying 50% more for my seats next season, I can walk away and still go to EVERY game if I want and pay less than what I did this season.

2018-2019: Supply > Demand.
skyscraper
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Mustangsabu » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:51 pm

skyscraper wrote:The bottom line is it's pretty easy to walk away from season tickets because there's little to no demand for half the seats in Moody.
Instead of paying 50% more for my seats next season, I can walk away and still go to EVERY game if I want and pay less than what I did this season.

2018-2019: Supply > Demand.

That’s it! I appreciate all the goodwill and effort the MC puts into supporting the athletics. I just have a fundamental difference of opinion on the funding of athletics and the role of fans. I still go to most of the games and I have saved money in the process. At the end of the day it’s a personal choice who to give money to and who you don’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PerunasHoof » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:00 pm

I don't understand why everyone is so proud to stop supporting the university and donating. Even if you stop donating the amount to get seats, I hope you still give to the school/Mustang Club.

Everyone wants SMU to compete at the highest level and beat the TCU's of the world. Well, guess what? We don't have Big 12 conference money and need to make up the difference where we can. If you decide to quit donating, please don't complain about us not being dedicated to compete at the highest levels.
PerunasHoof
All-American

Postby SMU Section F » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:20 pm

PerunasHoof wrote:I don't understand why everyone is so proud to stop supporting the university and donating. Even if you stop donating the amount to get seats, I hope you still give to the school/Mustang Club.

Everyone wants SMU to compete at the highest level and beat the TCU's of the world. Well, guess what? We don't have Big 12 conference money and need to make up the difference where we can. If you decide to quit donating, please don't complain about us not being dedicated to compete at the highest levels.

I can't speak for everyone, but I'm not proud of it. In fact, I'm quite disappointed. But I work hard for my money, I've already given hundreds of thousands of dollars to SMU, and sometimes you have to make hard decisions. I don't agree with the direction the Athletic Department is going and won't use my money to endorse it. I don't think the current plan illustrates a desire to compete at the highest level; I think it reflects a lack of confidence in the future of the program and a desire to "cash in" while they can. I sincerely hope I'm wrong.

I think my apparent inability to leave this topic alone demonstrates how much I'm beating myself up about it... maybe I'm hoping someone will change my mind.

I will continue to give a small donation to my college within SMU, like I do every year.
SMU Section F
Heisman

Postby Pony ^ » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:26 pm

PerunasHoof wrote:I don't understand why everyone is so proud to stop supporting the university and donating. Even if you stop donating the amount to get seats, I hope you still give to the school/Mustang Club.

As if giving $200-$250K wasn't enough to attend the school. They have been raising millions of dollars per year for 30 years and it's gotten us nowhere (in terms of conference affiliation and championships). I would gladly donate to basketball alone, but I honestly don't have any interest in football or really any other sport for that matter. Sue me. It's my money, not SMU's. This is a full fledged reseat to fund the football program. Jank has reiterated time and time again how important it is to have a full house (including right after the Houston game). I guarantee he is worried about the future and that this money grab is killing what they had going. It's a shame.
Last edited by Pony ^ on Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Pony ^

Postby skyscraper » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:27 pm

This is a false dichotomy.
None of the people in my section were "proud" to be thinking about giving up their season tickets. We all liked our seats and we all enjoyed the past few seasons.
But what was being asked was too much for some. Others were willing to roll the dice and see what happens. Both are fine and doesn't make either a better or worse fan.
People posting about their feelings here about it isn't pride - it's frustration.
skyscraper

Postby mustangxc » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:45 pm

SMU Section F wrote:
Dutch wrote:
SMU Section F wrote:I'm losing my "above the rail" seats, which to me is a pretty drastic effect since I've been sitting there since I stopped getting free student tickets over a decade ago.

Sure, there's a possibility I could keep them if I gave the "right" amount, but I don't gamble. There are so many better ways the Athletic Department could have handled this if the intentions are as you and RGV Pony have stated in this thread. (I do appreciate your insight however, as y'all are clearly better connected than I am.)

there's nothing stating your current seats will be gone when it's your time to select (or that they will be available either). but seriously, this isn't some tectonic shift. if you're on the isle in 104, and end up on the other side of that same isle in 105, is that really a drastic change in view? or even if you end up back a row or two because you want to stay on the isle instead of mid-row? the last row in 104 is row 10. that's 15 rows from the floor. still good seats. i think there's a lot of misunderstanding and gross misinformation from a vocal minority on this subject.

hasn't one of the things that created moody magic been that there isn't a bad seat in the house b/c it's a shallow bowl with a low ceiling? makes it loud. also means everyone is relatively close to the action. my suggestion to you would be to just call their bluff, give what you've always given. $1000 as you mentioned may be a lot of money, but you'll still be guaranteed a seat in the stadium if you want one. if there is absolutely no seat to your liking when it's your time to pick, then walk away, take your tax credit (b/c if it's not part of a seat license, you still get the donation credit) and know you helped the athletic department one last time.

I'm not sure about others, but I've discussed my concerns enough with the Athletic Department that I'm pretty sure I understand my situation. If the SMU Athletic Department wants my money, they can tell me how much it will cost me to get which seats. They have stated definitively that they will not. That is not misinformation.

If the projections/estimates are supposedly good enough to guide my decision, why is that same data not good enough to set a donation level and price for each seat? Maybe I've talked to the wrong people, but I have not received an answer to that question that didn't feel incredibly evasive.

If you set a price on the seats then it will not be tax deductible. I don't have enough money for that to matter to me but for those that do I think that would be a big factor in their donation level.
mustangxc

Postby Julian Grendel » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:25 pm

Pony ^ wrote:

As if giving $200-$250K wasn't enough to attend the school. They have been raising millions of dollars per year for 30 years and it's gotten us nowhere (in terms of conference affiliation and championships). I would gladly donate to basketball alone, but I honestly don't have any interest in football or really any other sport for that matter. Sue me. It's my money, not SMU's. This is a full fledged reseat to fund the football program. Jank has reiterated time and time again how important it is to have a full house (including right after the Houston game). I guarantee he is worried about the future and that this money grab is killing what they had going. It's a shame.

so absent a football program, you dont think there would be a basketball reseat?
Julian Grendel
Junior Varsity

Postby smusportspage » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:27 pm

SMU Section F wrote:
smusportspage wrote:I feel your pain. I have been a season ticket holder since the early 80's. Have seen a lot of ups and downs. However, I guess my desire to attend the basketball games on a regular basis and support the team is greater than yours. I am not so willing to just give up that experience. I will be making a donation, probably at the same level as before. That level being what I can afford.

Oh, I'll still be going to the games. Just not contributing to SMU or the Mustang Club anymore. I figure if I'm not getting the seats I want, I might as well save a few grand.

I really hope that you and those that are not buying season tickets because of the re-seating continue to go to every single basketball game. If you are in town, you go. Simple and so very important!
smusportspage
Heisman

Postby Mustangsabu » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:35 pm

With all due respect, and I mean that’s, if the university can’t afford a certain level of athletics within the budget of charging a reasonable rate for an education then, in my opinion, you need to lower your athletic involvement. I know I am alone in that belief, and I would probably be alone in attending lower division sports but I’d still be at the games.

I see no sense in requiring private individuals to fund your athletic department. But I’ll know that’s just me.

Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMU Section F » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:41 pm

mustangxc wrote:
SMU Section F wrote:If the projections/estimates are supposedly good enough to guide my decision, why is that same data not good enough to set a donation level and price for each seat? Maybe I've talked to the wrong people, but I have not received an answer to that question that didn't feel incredibly evasive.

If you set a price on the seats then it will not be tax deductible. I don't have enough money for that to matter to me but for those that do I think that would be a big factor in their donation level.

That's why I mentioned setting a donation level and price, in conjunction.

smusportspage wrote:
SMU Section F wrote:
smusportspage wrote:I feel your pain. I have been a season ticket holder since the early 80's. Have seen a lot of ups and downs. However, I guess my desire to attend the basketball games on a regular basis and support the team is greater than yours. I am not so willing to just give up that experience. I will be making a donation, probably at the same level as before. That level being what I can afford.

Oh, I'll still be going to the games. Just not contributing to SMU or the Mustang Club anymore. I figure if I'm not getting the seats I want, I might as well save a few grand.

I really hope that you and those that are not buying season tickets because of the re-seating continue to go to every single basketball game. If you are in town, you go. Simple and so very important!

That's the plan.
SMU Section F
Heisman

Postby smitty329 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:51 pm

Mustangsabu wrote:With all due respect, and I mean that’s, if the university can’t afford a certain level of athletics within the budget of charging a reasonable rate for an education then, in my opinion, you need to lower your athletic involvement. I know I am alone in that belief, and I would probably be alone in attending lower division sports but I’d still be at the games.

I see no sense in requiring private individuals to fund your athletic department. But I’ll know that’s just me.

Well, that's what happened to my undergrad alma mater - and it's leaving a bad taste in a lot of peoples mouths - I was there less than 10 years after the national championship in Men's Soccer and the games were incredible - packed bleachers. We had no football program at the time. I know a lot of alumni who also supported the Woman's Water Polo program. Notice the mention of facilities one of the reasons. http://www.allotsego.com/hartwick-college-drops-division-i-sports-programs/
smitty329
All-American

Postby Mustangsabu » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:09 pm

smitty329 wrote:
Mustangsabu wrote:With all due respect, and I mean that’s, if the university can’t afford a certain level of athletics within the budget of charging a reasonable rate for an education then, in my opinion, you need to lower your athletic involvement. I know I am alone in that belief, and I would probably be alone in attending lower division sports but I’d still be at the games.

Well, that's what happened to my undergrad alma mater - and it's leaving a bad taste in a lot of peoples mouths - I was there less than 10 years after the national championship in Men's Soccer and the games were incredible - packed bleachers. We had no football program at the time. I know a lot of alumni who also supported the Woman's Water Polo program. Notice the mention of facilities one of the reasons. http://www.allotsego.com/hartwick-college-drops-division-i-sports-programs/

You went to Hartwick????

I spent 10 summers of my life on that campus. Playing music. I still go back annually.

Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby smitty329 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:32 pm

Mustangsabu wrote:
You went to Hartwick????

I spent 10 summers of my life on that campus. Playing music. I still go back annually.

Yup - depressing the changes that have happened since my glory days there - started when they changed from the Warriors to the Hawks. Still can't accept that one. Fortunately my Alpha Sig has survived at 71 Spruce St. although it looks grimmer and grimmer each year.
smitty329
All-American

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:49 am

This is just SMU being SMU. The star watch has disappeared from Moody, the Mob is circling the drain, attendance is slowly creeping downward, the product on the court is definitely trending downward... So what is logical for SMU to do? Gouge their loyal customers to the bone... SMU being SMU.
ALEX LIFESON

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball