PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Why is no one talking about the re-seating at Moody?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Why is no one talking about the re-seating at Moody?

Postby skyscraper » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:03 pm

We all know what's about to happen. Tonight's just a taste. 2/3 empty blue seats. The high rollers who bought in to the reds will show up less than half the time. The teams performance as the season closes is likely to shove those on the fence into the no renewal category. It's gonna be sad.
skyscraper
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMU Section F » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:09 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:
One Trick Pony wrote:Plus those big players never wanted to touch the place before there was action.

If the action dissipates they won't want to play and then those you have smacked in the face will tell you no .

That to me is the million dollar question. Will the loyal ticket holders they are ticking off now return later. I say its too big a risk to take. SMU should be very conservative in this enviroment.

I know will not be, at least until my kids grow up and move out (and probably not even then). I've been OK with price increases, since it's been fun to see the program grow, but I will not gamble for my seats. At current prices, my seats are only worth the 300%-500% premium if they are my seats. Once SMU is out of my budget, they'll stay out. I really want to support my alma mater, but I work hard for my money and have to make tough decisions about where I allocate it. SMU has made this one a little easier.

I've said it before, but I really wish I'd just been priced out. I could just chalk it up to the program's success and feel a little sad, but without this sour taste in my mouth.
SMU Section F
Heisman

Postby Pony ^ » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:07 am

Tonight was definitely a glimpse into the future as far as crowds go.

Not only will Moody not be feared any more, but sooner than later it will effect recruiting. SMU is gonna SMU...ruin a good thing like always.
Pony ^

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:21 am

Pony ^ wrote:Tonight was definitely a glimpse into the future as far as crowds go.

Not only will Moody not be feared any more, but sooner than later it will effect recruiting. SMU is gonna SMU...ruin a good thing like always.

I didn't realize how bad this re-seating has taken it's toll. I also think that without Larry the student body isnt what it was. Half the time they're on their phones or just talking amongst each other like spectators. I think there would have been degradation in attendance due to no more Larry effect but this definitely expedite. Good job Hart.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Mustangsabu » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:28 am

One other thing. I’m not sure what the deal with the new Houston arena is but apparently the $10,000 to pick a seat for the opening season can be paid over 5 years so in reality I do not think UH is actually more expensive than SMU. So Cinci, UConn, and Memphis are more expensive..... Tulsa, who’ve appeared in as many NCAA games as we have the past 5 years are $600 and Wichita State is less than $900. They’ve played 16 games I think over the last few years.

The idea that SMU has earned the right to charge what it does simply doesn’t add up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMU Section F » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:51 am

Mustangsabu wrote:One other thing. I’m not sure what the deal with the new Houston arena is but apparently the $10,000 to pick a seat for the opening season can be paid over 5 years so in reality I do not think UH is actually more expensive than SMU. So Cinci, UConn, and Memphis are more expensive..... Tulsa, who’ve appeared in as many NCAA games as we have the past 5 years are $600 and Wichita State is less than $900. They’ve played 16 games I think over the last few years.

The idea that SMU has earned the right to charge what it does simply doesn’t add up.

Also, I've been hearing talk that Memphis is struggling to come up with a way to adjust their seating plan that isn't blatantly throwing in the towel. Not sure what the numbers say (I'd be interested), but anecdotally their fan engagement is circling the drain. Hopefully Tubby can turn things around, but if things keep stagnating that situation could get interesting...
SMU Section F
Heisman

Postby PonyTime » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:06 am

Pony ^ wrote:Problem is, the money is funding football...not basketball.

Can a donation be made to SMU Mens basketball and not Mustang Club?

Great question for someone to ask at next re-seat meeting.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PerunasHoof » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:20 am

SMU_Alum11 wrote:
Pony ^ wrote:Tonight was definitely a glimpse into the future as far as crowds go.

I didn't realize how bad this re-seating has taken it's toll. I also think that without Larry the student body isnt what it was. Half the time they're on their phones or just talking amongst each other like spectators. I think there would have been degradation in attendance due to no more Larry effect but this definitely expedite. Good job Hart.

Make sure you're actually looking at the student section. The entire game I saw them fighting with the Memphis bench and getting yelled at by the security guards. For everyone who complains the "Mob is dead" etc, I think you're being overly dramatic. Some lady on the Memphis side kept waving her shirt at the students as they just heckled the sh** out of her. It was hilarious.

Attendance sucked last night, but the students that were there were not the problem.
PerunasHoof
All-American

Postby smusportspage » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:40 am

Agree. The students that were there were great last night.
smusportspage
Heisman

Postby PonyTime » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:43 am

Someone in my section obviously sold their entire row behind me to Memphis fans.

I have gotten used to not having to hear from opposing fans at games. It was rather nice for the last few years.

I am in the Young Alum section - can't blame some young alum for selling their tix to make some cash though - hope they made those Tiger fans pay tho and did not sell them for $3 per.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:20 pm

PonyTime wrote:
Pony ^ wrote:Problem is, the money is funding football...not basketball.

Can a donation be made to SMU Mens basketball and not Mustang Club?

Great question for someone to ask at next re-seat meeting.

For donations to count towards season ticket purchases they have to be made to the general fund.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby PonySnob » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:44 pm

Next two re-seat meetings are March 7 and March 21
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby One Trick Pony » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:46 pm

You make me giggle a little bit
One Trick Pony

Postby skyscraper » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:53 pm

Like I said a few days ago, that March 21 meeting could be real entertaining.
skyscraper

Postby used to be 2 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:16 pm

If no one shows up at the last re-seat meeting, maybe the SMU Athletic CZAR Hart will get the hint.
used to be 2
Junior Varsity

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball