PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Why is no one talking about the re-seating at Moody?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Why is no one talking about the re-seating at Moody?

Postby Pony ^ » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:37 pm

I'm convinced with the amount of people cancelling tickets that they will end up losing money in the process. Would not be shocked. I've yet to speak to a single friend keeping their tickets next year. It's not the change in price...it's the fact that you can virtually double your donation and have no idea where your seats will be. Why would I pay thousands of dollars and have no idea what I will get in return?
Pony ^
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby oilpony » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:26 pm

redpony wrote:
Mustangsabu wrote:I didn’t ask for the new Moody. It’s beautiful and a huge improvement. But I don’t buy the logic that I need to pay for it.

I don't think you are paying for the 'new moody' but paying to help fund the giant deficit created by our fball program. Wonder what the finances in the AD would look like if we only had bball to pay for.

Football and Title IX
oilpony
All-American

Postby skyscraper » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:44 pm

I've started slowly polling the people around me in my section. Same faces around me since Moody re-opened. Same faces that attend 90-100% of the games. No one has committed to pay up for next season. Everyone is still thinking it over.
skyscraper

Postby mrydel » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:02 pm

Is anyone expressing these thoughts to the athletic department or just here?
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby PonyTime » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:05 pm

skyscraper wrote:I've started slowly polling the people around me in my section. Same faces around me since Moody re-opened. Same faces that attend 90-100% of the games. No one has committed to pay up for next season. Everyone is still thinking it over.

I have asked those around me as well. So far, about half have indicated that they are not going to renew.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby skyscraper » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:06 pm

I had a friend go to the last reseat session. The gist of it was there were high-roller donors in non-high roller seats so we're doing this reseat and the more you give the better seats you have a chance to get. No matter what happens on the court this season.
I personally haven't been to one yet. The last one in late March might be entertaining if we end the season at .500, which seems likely considering our horrid injury situation.
skyscraper

Postby gostangs » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:09 pm

If everyone will just express calmly to their representative that we need to know the price to renew - in total dollars per ticket (donation and ticket price), before we commit than that would be the way to do this. They need to hear it from hundreds.

Almost all of us are happy to help out the program and we know it cost money to play at the top level, and we know the price is going up. Just tell us what it is and let us decide what to do. Donations required first without knowing where the seats land is insulting to your most loyal customers.
gostangs

Postby Pony ^ » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:43 pm

Problem is, the money is funding football...not basketball.
Pony ^

Postby SMU Section F » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:09 pm

mrydel wrote:Is anyone expressing these thoughts to the athletic department or just here?

I know I have. Sent an e-mail (that spawned some back-and-forth discussion) right after the plan was announced and made a call a couple weeks ago. The people I talked to seemed pretty dedicated to the current plan; a few years ago when I expressed concerns about that "re-seat" plan, I felt heard, but this time I felt like they "had bigger fish to fry". Maybe if enough others reach out this tone will change, but the others I know that have spoken up have received a similar answer.

For context, the people I've spoken to are generally late-20s to mid-30s alumni. In general, we've got good jobs but young families, so none of us are "big fish". Maybe not enough $$$$$ to make anyone in the athletic department care.
SMU Section F
Heisman

Postby One Trick Pony » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:31 pm

Power together and say NO make change!

Or be a little minion with no tax deduction.

Plus those big players never wanted to touch the place before there was action.
If the action dissipates they won't want to play and then those you have smacked in the face will tell you no .
One Trick Pony

Postby Ponyneighbor » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:47 pm

I’ve actually been appreciative of how easy they made my decision not to renew. Had they just raised prices (again), it would have been a tougher call. Probably still would not have renewed given how wide the gap between season ticket and secondary market prices have gotten. But having no control over seat choice, doing this in a year in which the team may be 500, and nothing on the recruiting front to suggest a return to glory make this a no-brainer. Shocked they haven’t nixed the idea.
Ponyneighbor
Junior Varsity

Postby SMU Section F » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:32 pm

Ponyneighbor wrote:I’ve actually been appreciative of how easy they made my decision not to renew. Had they just raised prices (again), it would have been a tougher call. Probably still would not have renewed given how wide the gap between season ticket and secondary market prices have gotten. But having no control over seat choice, doing this in a year in which the team may be 500, and nothing on the recruiting front to suggest a return to glory make this a no-brainer. Shocked they haven’t nixed the idea.

If I didn't know better, I'd think you were the guy who sits right behind me. His thoughts almost verbatim. Price was getting to be a stretch, but bidding war nonsense made his decision final.
SMU Section F
Heisman

Postby PonySnob » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:59 pm

Early arriving crowd 3 minutes before tipoff.

At tip-off
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby One Trick Pony » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:12 pm

They're just in the restrooms
One Trick Pony

Postby SoCal_Pony » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:00 pm

One Trick Pony wrote:Plus those big players never wanted to touch the place before there was action.

If the action dissipates they won't want to play and then those you have smacked in the face will tell you no .

That to me is the million dollar question. Will the loyal ticket holders they are ticking off now return later. I say its too big a risk to take. SMU should be very conservative in this enviroment.
SoCal_Pony

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball