PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Why is no one talking about the re-seating at Moody?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Why is no one talking about the re-seating at Moody?

Postby Pony_Law » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:51 pm

One of the interesting nuggets from the meeting was that the lower level are currently being used at a 54% clip this year while season ticket in the blue seats are being used at a 34% clip.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:56 pm

Pony_Law wrote:One of the interesting nuggets from the meeting was that the lower level are currently being used at a 54% clip this year while season ticket in the blue seats are being used at a 34% clip.

Seems like the perfect time to raise the prices!
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby One Trick Pony » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:00 pm

Pony_Law wrote:One of the interesting nuggets from the meeting was that the lower level are currently being used at a 54% clip this year while season ticket in the blue seats are being used at a 34% clip.

Those are the biggest bulshit numbers I've ever heard. What are there 300 red seats and 6100 blue.
ImageImage
Last edited by One Trick Pony on Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One Trick Pony

Postby PonyTime » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:06 pm

One Trick Pony wrote:

Those are the biggest bulshit numbers I've ever heard. What are there 300 red seats and 6100 blue.

I know a number of people who did not use their blues because they were offered free red seats by those who were not attending.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby One Trick Pony » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:13 pm

I don't believe those numbers in regards to the people that actually showed up in blue seats sorry.
One Trick Pony

Postby ponywhupp9202 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:20 pm

oilpony wrote:
ponywhupp9202 wrote:With the number of empty seats I have seen this year combined with the reaction on this board, I am going to predict that the interest level of new donations or current donators significantly increasing their donations is not going to be large. I really like my current seats, but know I won't be able to keep them because I am in the magical row 6 (sec 207).

I've been donating $500 annually to the MC for about 20 years and have been a season ticket holder for either football or basketball (but not both at the same time) for that entire time. My strategy will be to donate my same $500 for 2 seats for the 2018-19 season and see what happens. If I get screwed, bring on the 3rd party brokers for the '19-20 season.

I respectfully disagree with your theory on interest level of donations. SMU would not have thrown this out there unless they have people lined up and ready to donate larger sums of money. Its obvious the majority of the true fans are sitting in the blue seats. That is were smu support will be hurt the most. Those seats will be empty for most games, like the red floor seats, except for big games. Moody Magic will become Moody Mausoleum. I hope I am wrong.

I may be wrong (hope I'm not for selfish seat location reasons), but we'll see. I'm a blue seat guy and hope to still be there (below the rail) after the reseating has taken place. So far for this season, for all but the USC game there have been lots and lots of empty seats in mine and adjacent sections. Since Moody has been renovated, I've been paying a about $1100 per year, including my MC donation, for 2 season tickets in what I consider a good location. Let's say I get moved to the rafters next year and decide not to renew my tickets the following year. The program loses my $500 MC donation and I have $1100 to work with to buy tickets. I usually end of giving my tickets away to 2 to 5 games per year based on schedule or traveling conflicts, so $1100 spread out among 2 tickets to 15 games gives me $36.66 per ticket to work with for the season. I've purchased extra tickets from Gametime/Stubhub/Vivid Seats for several games this year at an average cost of about $10 per ticket, so I like my chances of this working out in my favor (if necessary) for all but the most premium games.
ponywhupp9202
Varsity

Postby PonyTime » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:33 pm

And sadly, Memphis and UCONN used to be premium games - now they are just as plentiful as UH or Tulsa tickets.
Last edited by PonyTime on Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Pony_Law » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:45 pm

One Trick Pony wrote:I don't believe those numbers in regards to the people that actually showed up in blue seats sorry.

Pretty sure he was referring to upper season tickets vs lower season tickets (excluding the boxes). Not sure of the total season tickets number vs total moody seating number. There are a lot of season ticket holders in both parts of moody that do not use their tickets very often at all. In my row in 2012 there is typically 6 people or less in my entire row. Log and Floor seats tend to be utilized each game, I'd have guessed around 40% for the Red seats.

I also doubt the guy would have used that forum to straight up lie.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby oilpony » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:56 pm

ponywhupp9202 wrote:
oilpony wrote:
ponywhupp9202 wrote:With the number of empty seats I have seen this year combined with the reaction on this board, I am going to predict that the interest level of new donations or current donators significantly increasing their donations is not going to be large. I really like my current seats, but know I won't be able to keep them because I am in the magical row 6 (sec 207).

I've been donating $500 annually to the MC for about 20 years and have been a season ticket holder for either football or basketball (but not both at the same time) for that entire time. My strategy will be to donate my same $500 for 2 seats for the 2018-19 season and see what happens. If I get screwed, bring on the 3rd party brokers for the '19-20 season.

I respectfully disagree with your theory on interest level of donations. SMU would not have thrown this out there unless they have people lined up and ready to donate larger sums of money. Its obvious the majority of the true fans are sitting in the blue seats. That is were smu support will be hurt the most. Those seats will be empty for most games, like the red floor seats, except for big games. Moody Magic will become Moody Mausoleum. I hope I am wrong.

I may be wrong (hope I'm not for selfish seat location reasons), but we'll see. I'm a blue seat guy and hope to still be there (below the rail) after the reseating has taken place. So far for this season, for all but the USC game there have been lots and lots of empty seats in mine and adjacent sections. Since Moody has been renovated, I've been paying a about $1100 per year, including my MC donation, for 2 season tickets in what I consider a good location. Let's say I get moved to the rafters next year and decide not to renew my tickets the following year. The program loses my $500 MC donation and I have $1100 to work with to buy tickets. I usually end of giving my tickets away to 2 to 5 games per year based on schedule or traveling conflicts, so $1100 spread out among 2 tickets to 15 games gives me $36.66 per ticket to work with for the season. I've purchased extra tickets from Gametime/Stubhub/Vivid Seats for several games this year at an average cost of about $10 per ticket, so I like my chances of this working out in my favor (if necessary) for all but the most premium games.

I understand.
oilpony
All-American

Postby One Trick Pony » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:07 pm

Pony_Law wrote:
One Trick Pony wrote:I don't believe those numbers in regards to the people that actually showed up in blue seats sorry.

Pretty sure he was referring to upper season tickets vs lower season tickets (excluding the boxes). Not sure of the total season tickets number vs total moody seating number. There are a lot of season ticket holders in both parts of moody that do not use their tickets very often at all. In my row in 2012 there is typically 6 people or less in my entire row. Log and Floor seats tend to be utilized each game, I'd have guessed around 40% for the Red seats.

I also doubt the guy would have used that forum to straight up lie.

Do The Flintstones sit in the log seats?

Yeah well they can skew the numbers whatever they want they're going to get their money they'll have their empty Stadium. The noise I will make from my recliner is about what it's like in the first row of 202 lol.
One Trick Pony

Postby oilpony » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:40 pm

If history has told us anything, SMU will somehow find a way to screw up a good thing,
oilpony
All-American

Postby ponydawg » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:51 pm

ponywhupp9202 wrote:I may be wrong (hope I'm not for selfish seat location reasons), but we'll see. I'm a blue seat guy and hope to still be there (below the rail) after the reseating has taken place. So far for this season, for all but the USC game there have been lots and lots of empty seats in mine and adjacent sections. Since Moody has been renovated, I've been paying a about $1100 per year, including my MC donation, for 2 season tickets in what I consider a good location. Let's say I get moved to the rafters next year and decide not to renew my tickets the following year. The program loses my $500 MC donation and I have $1100 to work with to buy tickets. I usually end of giving my tickets away to 2 to 5 games per year based on schedule or traveling conflicts, so $1100 spread out among 2 tickets to 15 games gives me $36.66 per ticket to work with for the season. I've purchased extra tickets from Gametime/Stubhub/Vivid Seats for several games this year at an average cost of about $10 per ticket, so I like my chances of this working out in my favor (if necessary) for all but the most premium games.

What worries me if people don't have season tickets in hand, will they buy tickets off of stubhub to watch us play Paul Quinn? I worry the atmosphere will suffer for the smaller and regular games.
ponydawg
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby oilpony » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:54 pm

ponydawg wrote:
ponywhupp9202 wrote:I may be wrong (hope I'm not for selfish seat location reasons), but we'll see. I'm a blue seat guy and hope to still be there (below the rail) after the reseating has taken place. So far for this season, for all but the USC game there have been lots and lots of empty seats in mine and adjacent sections. Since Moody has been renovated, I've been paying a about $1100 per year, including my MC donation, for 2 season tickets in what I consider a good location. Let's say I get moved to the rafters next year and decide not to renew my tickets the following year. The program loses my $500 MC donation and I have $1100 to work with to buy tickets. I usually end of giving my tickets away to 2 to 5 games per year based on schedule or traveling conflicts, so $1100 spread out among 2 tickets to 15 games gives me $36.66 per ticket to work with for the season. I've purchased extra tickets from Gametime/Stubhub/Vivid Seats for several games this year at an average cost of about $10 per ticket, so I like my chances of this working out in my favor (if necessary) for all but the most premium games.

What worries me if people don't have season tickets in hand, will they buy tickets off of stubhub to watch us play Paul Quinn? I worry the atmosphere will suffer for the smaller and regular games.

It will be a morgue
oilpony
All-American

Postby Pony81 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:04 pm

I'm in 204 - midcourt premium seats. While the section is generally well attended - the seats behind me and down my row are generally not used. 2 guys who attend regularly have figured out the seats are not used by the season ticket holders and always sit there. Nice guys, love their support for SMU but there are ways to move around into good seats for most games except 1 or 2.

I'm going to give the reseat a go. If I don't like the results I'll drop the seats and watch from TV.
Pony 81
Pony81
Heisman

Postby Mustangsabu » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:38 pm

Having my seats taken for missing last years deadline means I don’t have a dog I this fight. 10 years of support and it means nothing.

I’m still at almost every game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball