PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Mac Engel is still a delusional [deleted]

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Mac Engel is still a delusional [deleted]

Postby Pony_Law » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:05 pm

deucetz wrote:
ALEX LIFESON wrote:What an azzhole. But, with TCU's recruiting class....he could be right.

Games are mostly won and lost due to recruiting. There is no precise formula, but a big time can recruit can make an average coach look great.

I think Jank is a good coach, but I have been worried about his recruiting. I know we are transfer U, but with limited scholarships we need to make sure we quality recruits that can produce from Day 1. If we think this year is a rebuilding year, then what is next year?

Really? How many Sweet 16's, conference championships, ect has Texas won with their parade of Lottery pick talent Shaka has recruited? How did LSU do with Simmons? Recruiting matters but in college basketball coaching is king. Go look up how Butler's recruiting classes were ranked before they made back to back final fours.

Jank's first recruiting class (last years doesn't count since it was LB recruiting them) is exactly what you hope from a recruiting class 2 players that are definitely going to be able to contribute to a top level team (Chagois and Douglas) and some players that will either develop into solid role players/contributors or just give you end of bench depth (Landrum and Ray). Next years team is going to have Whitt, Foster, Chagois, McMurry, and Mike as a veteran core. I expect Douglas to make a Foster like improvement from year 1 to 2, and we'll see which of the 4 between the 2 incoming freshman and Ray and Landrum fill into give you an 8-9 man rotation.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby Rebel10 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:09 pm

Feron Hunt just tore some kind of muscle.

https://mobile.twitter.com/AdamGrosbard ... 9573583873
#HammerDown
Rebel10
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Rebel10 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:11 pm

Pony_Law wrote:
deucetz wrote:
ALEX LIFESON wrote:What an azzhole. But, with TCU's recruiting class....he could be right.

Games are mostly won and lost due to recruiting. There is no precise formula, but a big time can recruit can make an average coach look great.

I think Jank is a good coach, but I have been worried about his recruiting. I know we are transfer U, but with limited scholarships we need to make sure we quality recruits that can produce from Day 1. If we think this year is a rebuilding year, then what is next year?

Really? How many Sweet 16's, conference championships, ect has Texas won with their parade of Lottery pick talent Shaka has recruited? How did LSU do with Simmons? Recruiting matters but in college basketball coaching is king. Go look up how Butler's recruiting classes were ranked before they made back to back final fours.

Jank's first recruiting class (last years doesn't count since it was LB recruiting them) is exactly what you hope from a recruiting class 2 players that are definitely going to be able to contribute to a top level team (Chagois and Douglas) and some players that will either develop into solid role players/contributors or just give you end of bench depth (Landrum and Ray). Next years team is going to have Whitt, Foster, Chagois, McMurry, and Mike as a veteran core. I expect Douglas to make a Foster like improvement from year 1 to 2, and we'll see which of the 4 between the 2 incoming freshman and Ray and Landrum fill into give you an 8-9 man rotation.

Kentucky and Duke have the most lottery picks of any and they win period. And Butler is not the norm. The norm is the if you recruit well consistently you win. Are you saying that Jank is so far ahead of Dixon in coaching that recruiting does not matter as much?
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby deepellumfrog » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:22 pm

gostangs wrote:
deepellumfrog wrote:I have no idea who you guys have coming in, but I'm excited about Kaden Archie headed our way. Seems like there are plenty of kids in DFW who might want to play over half of their games in front of mom and dad, You guys for sure currently have the upper hand, although I think losing the australians last year mid season didn't do you any favors. Good luck in the AAC, hope we get your again if we both get to the 64

You must not have seen the Australians play. Imagine someone playing on a court made of molasses. Them leaving was a god-send.

Congrats on the win. We aint scared.

p.s. - You should have torn down that awful round arena instead of putting a 50 M coat of paint on it. Thought you Big 12 dudes were supposed to have money?

We just spent it all on our championship level football team and our perennial College World Series baseball team. I like to think we have a pretty nice tennis center too, but not quite as nice as yours..
deepellumfrog
All-American

Postby Pony_Law » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:10 pm

Rebel10 wrote:
Kentucky and Duke have the most lottery picks of any and they win period. And Butler is not the norm. The norm is the if you recruit well consistently you win. Are you saying that Jank is so far ahead of Dixon in coaching that recruiting does not matter as much?

Kentucky and Duke's recruiting is at a completely different level compared to everyone else (if judged on players going in the first round of NBA draft) plus Coach K and Cal are legitimately 2 of the best coaches in the game. And of course despite easily having significantly more talent than anybody else for the last 8 years, only 1 NC for Kentucky. Remember Calapari has exactly as many national championships as Kevin Ollie.

What I'm saying is The difference between Kentucky and Duke's recruiting and TCU's recruiting (or really almost any teams recruiting) is a much bigger difference than the difference between TCU's and SMU's recruiting. The reason teams like Gonzaga, or Butler, or SMU, or WSU, or Michigan State, or Wisconsin ect, compete against team with that type of recruiting (and often prevail) is because coaching and experience overcomes absolute talent in College basketball more often than not.

And while I will reserve final judgement until Jank if 5+ years into it, so far he has demonstrated an extremely high coaching ability.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby Pony ^ » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:27 pm

1 loss and the world is ending. We're fine.
Pony ^

Postby deucetz » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:32 pm

Pony_Law wrote:
deucetz wrote:

Please look up the top 25, and most of the sweet sixteen in the tournament and look up their recruiting ranking. Both matter.

Correlation v. Causation. Maybe you misunderstand my issue with recruiting. Good recruiting is bringing in talent no matter their ranking. There is a correlation with the higher a recruits ranking the better the talent. NBA talent typically makes a regular coach look great. Butler had NBA talent. They had 2 NBA players that were drafted during that run. The issue with Shaka and LSU was that they had NBA talent that didn't need to perform in order to be drafted, while Butler's 2 recruits had to perform in order to get drafted. Simmon's definitely mailed it in. If worked hard LSU would have been great.

Butler Recruits during Brad Stevens era classes: 2007 ((1) 4 star and (3) 3 stars); 2008 ((5) 3 star players); 2009 ((1) 3 star); 2010 ((3) 3 star one was 120). So it wasn't like he was recruiting unranked players.
deucetz
All-American

Postby Pony_Law » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:01 pm

Butler's NBA talent was not regarded as potential NBA talent when they were recruited (Gordon Hayward was unranked coming out of HS) that is exactly my point. A great coach can take kids and turn them into NBA talent or turn them into at least elite level college talent. Look at Nic Moore and Ben Moore. Look at Foster (if you are just looking at our team).

Why that happens has nothing to do with a player's recruiting ranking. I'll bet on a player ranked 138 in the country who is going to play for a great coach on being a better player over the course of their college career than any player regardless of their ranking that goes and plays for Kevin Ollie. Semi couldn't get on the floor at duke, you going to say there were 5 players better than him last year on Duke's team?
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyTime » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:40 pm

My only beef with the article is that he chose to take a stab at our former football coach who just passed away. He could have left that slam out of this story, but he chose to be an a--hat.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Topper » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:18 pm

He is a pure hometown suck up, but what I wouldn't give if the DMN supported us the way the Startlegram has always supported the Frogs.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby LA_Mustang » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:52 pm

IMO, the DMN has given us the coverage we deserve.

That Engel piece is an embarrassment to journalism. It sounds like the work of a teenager who just got dumped and finally got lucky one night so they are winning. As someone mentioned, he was basically saying the same b.s. last season before we beat them. He said SMU was done post-LB. Such a tool.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby lollaperuna » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:08 pm

Hahaha.....that bs proves the little froggies still care about us. Nice to be loved.
lollaperuna
All-American

Postby mustangxc » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:12 pm

The fact that he had to write such a classless article proves the rivalry is alive and well. [deleted] TCU!
mustangxc

Postby kc711 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:45 am

deucetz wrote:

As with all of your comments, you are totally unaware. Review Brown's last three years of high school recruiting, and you will see Jank has recruited better than him. You are clueless. And totally and absolutely unaware and negative!!
kc711
Scout Team

Postby Rebel10 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:54 am

kc711 wrote:
deucetz wrote:

As with all of your comments, you are totally unaware. Review Brown's last three years of high school recruiting, and you will see Jank has recruited better than him. You are clueless. And totally and absolutely unaware and negative!!

Jank has recruited better than Shake and Jarrey? I guess since you put the 3 year thing on it so you would not count the 2 players that have won the most games in SMU basketball history in Sterling Brown and Ben Moore.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball