PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Mac Engel is still a delusional [deleted]

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Mac Engel is still a delusional [deleted]

Postby SMU1523 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:43 am

SMU1523
Heisman

Re: Mac Engel is still a delusional [deleted]

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:05 am

What an azzhole. But, with TCU's recruiting class....he could be right.
ALEX LIFESON
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Bergermeister » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:07 am

Community newspaper buffoon.
Bergermeister

Postby deepellumfrog » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:23 am

What do you feel he got wrong? Seems like all the facts are in order...
deepellumfrog
All-American

Postby GoMustAAngs2007 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:39 am

Mac Engel is the journalist avatar for TCU's fartsniffing, Johnny come lately fan base.

deepellumfrog wrote:What do you feel he got wrong? Seems like all the facts are in order...

Congrats on the win, but SMU still leads the all time series and had won 5-6 in a row in bball before Tuesday night. So TCU beats SMU in basketball about as often as SMU beats TCU in football. That's hardly what I would call a turning point. Basically his argument comes down to "TCU is in the Big 12, SMU isn't."

Congrats to the TCU administration for having the foresight in the late 90s-early 2000s to see the seismic changes coming to college athletics and responding/investing accordingly. That said, TCU fans act like there is something intrinsically SPECIAL about them that SMU doesn't have. Um, no. Trade everything about our teams and programs and we would be packing Ford and Moody while they would be wailing and gnashing about where the fans are.
GoMustAAngs2007
Junior Varsity

Postby Pony ^ » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:43 am

He wrote basically the same article last yr before their beatdown saying the tables had turned.

Guess we should just go ahead and shut it down in his opinion. comical.
Pony ^

Postby deepellumfrog » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:52 am

I have no idea who you guys have coming in, but I'm excited about Kaden Archie headed our way. Seems like there are plenty of kids in DFW who might want to play over half of their games in front of mom and dad, You guys for sure currently have the upper hand, although I think losing the australians last year mid season didn't do you any favors. Good luck in the AAC, hope we get your again if we both get to the 64
deepellumfrog
All-American

Postby Pony ^ » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:02 am

deepellumfrog wrote:I have no idea who you guys have coming in, but I'm excited about Kaden Archie headed our way. Seems like there are plenty of kids in DFW who might want to play over half of their games in front of mom and dad, You guys for sure currently have the upper hand, although I think losing the australians last year mid season didn't do you any favors. Good luck in the AAC, hope we get your again if we both get to the 64

Losing the Australians was the best thing to ever happen to this program. We won something like 26 of the next 27 games after they left and got rid of the drama that surrounded them
Pony ^

Postby deucetz » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:09 am

ALEX LIFESON wrote:What an azzhole. But, with TCU's recruiting class....he could be right.

Games are mostly won and lost due to recruiting. There is no precise formula, but a big time can recruit can make an average coach look great.

I think Jank is a good coach, but I have been worried about his recruiting. I know we are transfer U, but with limited scholarships we need to make sure we quality recruits that can produce from Day 1. If we think this year is a rebuilding year, then what is next year?
deucetz
All-American

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:52 am

Obviously the writing style is intentionally inflammatory which is very unprofessional for an alleged unbiased news source, but it's hard to argue with the general point.

Even if they just stay close to us in basketball it is a big negative for us since we haven't been able to maintain being anywhere close to them in football for ages, even though to be fair we have hung with them until the games got out of hand late the past two times in Ft. Worth.

We can't alternate wins with them, and it looks like there is a decent chance we will.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby ponyboy101 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:05 pm

a think he was stretching a little bit. but they are catching up to us and continue to get and steal our recruits. hope we get maxed.....
ponyboy101
Recruit

Postby Rebel10 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:43 pm

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:We can't alternate wins with them.

Agreed.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby EastStang » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:01 pm

Pony ^ wrote:
deepellumfrog wrote:I have no idea who you guys have coming in, but I'm excited about Kaden Archie headed our way. Seems like there are plenty of kids in DFW who might want to play over half of their games in front of mom and dad, You guys for sure currently have the upper hand, although I think losing the australians last year mid season didn't do you any favors. Good luck in the AAC, hope we get your again if we both get to the 64

Losing the Australians was the best thing to ever happen to this program. We won something like 26 of the next 27 games after they left and got rid of the drama that surrounded them

Hey there's a free agent drama queen available LiAngelo Ball. TCU should be all over him.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby gostangs » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:28 pm

You must not have seen the Australians play. Imagine someone playing on a court made of molasses. Them leaving was a god-send.

Congrats on the win. We aint scared.

p.s. - You should have torn down that awful round arena instead of putting a 50 M coat of paint on it. Thought you Big 12 dudes were supposed to have money?
gostangs

Postby oilpony » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:02 pm

Engel reminds me a little of Skippy Bayless. He likes to use the "Lets throw some [deleted] up against the wall and see what sticks" style. As are most of the so called sports writers these days, he sucks
oilpony
All-American

Next

Return to Basketball