PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

The positives, and there are many

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

The positives, and there are many

Postby LA_Mustang » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:10 pm

Since I’m a glass half full guy 8)

1. Our losses are to current RPI 12, 29 & 32. None should hurt us during selection time.

2. We have beaten 51 & 64 (both will go up, most likely significantly)

3. Chargois is better than anyone could’ve imagined. He will never be intimidated or afraid of the moment. Has NBA skill and size. We haven’t scratched the surface with Douglas and Ray.

4. Only two more games until McMurray joins the team.

5. The AAC is very strong. Our team is young and talented. We will continue to improve as the season goes. Knock of Cincy and/or WSU at Moody and we will be in the mix.

6. Don’t believe any of the TCU garbage, Hunt is legit and the muscle issue isn’t serious.

7. Mike is as talented as anyone to come into this program in years. He would be all-AAC this year.

8. We are in position for a good shot at the tourney this season and next but the future of this program is all about the 2019 class, and it is trending nicely.

9. Moody Magic

10. TCU sucks, and always will.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: The positives, and there are many

Postby Stallion » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:05 am

good work-I wish more posters would support their arguments like that-I actually learned something. If we advance in March Madness this season is a huge success is far as I'm concerned. I see some pieces that can make that happen.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby sadderbudweiser » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:59 am

I am squarely in THIS camp. So much “glass half full” stuff” here. Jank and staff still need to execute and carry the plan forward but I am totally down with the improving depth chart and prospects for next year... and beyond.

Anything accomplished this season is a bonus. We can make the tourney. And if we do it would be almost ordained that we break thru the first round. But if we don’t.... a nice NIT run means NYC games for me!

Go Ponies.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby Rebel10 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:02 am

Beat Boise.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby mustangxc » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:51 am

My expectation is one and done in the NCAA tournament and I will be very happy with that result given that this is a rebuilding year unless McMurray proves to be a star. Making the tournament would be huge to provide continuity and establish our program for the future as one that regularly makes the tournament.
mustangxc

Postby ojaipony » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:54 am

Great post. Thanks for sharing. I completely agree (although I have to admit that day we lost to TCU was a tough one - lost to them and lost Morris). However, as you said, no bad losses (a couple of good wins) and we're about to get McMurray back which I think will be huge. Really need Akoy to get back into shape and give us 5-10 QUALITY minutes (he still has absolutely no lift poor guy). Need to win these next 3 OOC. Then the UCF game will be HUGE. Take care of Moody and don't drop any 'bad losses' to Memphis/USF/ECU etc and do well in AAC tourney, and I think we're in. But, again, it's very early. I have faith in Jank and the team. Need Ben/Jarrey and especially Shake to be more 'alpha'.
ojaipony

Postby Pony ^ » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:07 am

Keep in mind we started 4-3 last year and it ended up being one of the best regular seasons of all time
Pony ^

Postby JoeKidd » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:23 am

Great post, needed this heading into the weekend after a depressing SMU sport's week. Let's go beat Boise and take care of New Orleans before that....didn't NO make the tourney last year and win a game or maybe the play in, I could be wrong but felt like I saw them play a tourney game last year.
#1 Day At A Time
JoeKidd
Heisman

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:38 am

I love #10 reason the most.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Terry Webster » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:40 am

It is going to be an interesting conference run. I think that the aac is going to get 4 teams in the tourney this year,,,WSU and uc for certain, and two between us, Temple and Houston.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby geno » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:12 am

LA_Mustang wrote:Since I’m a glass half full guy 8)

1. Our losses are to current RPI 12, 29 & 32. None should hurt us during selection time.

2. We have beaten 51 & 64 (both will go up, most likely significantly)

3. Chargois is better than anyone could’ve imagined. He will never be intimidated or afraid of the moment. Has NBA skill and size. We haven’t scratched the surface with Douglas and Ray.

4. Only two more games until McMurray joins the team.

5. The AAC is very strong. Our team is young and talented. We will continue to improve as the season goes. Knock of Cincy and/or WSU at Moody and we will be in the mix.

6. Don’t believe any of the TCU garbage, Hunt is legit and the muscle issue isn’t serious.

7. Mike is as talented as anyone to come into this program in years. He would be all-AAC this year.

8. We are in position for a good shot at the tourney this season and next but the future of this program is all about the 2019 class, and it is trending nicely.

9. Moody Magic

10. TCU sucks, and always will.

Discouraging that a team that sucks can beat us by ten points.
geno
Junior Varsity

Postby smusic 00 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:34 am

The team is pretty good. Everything else about TCU sucks, though.
smusic 00

Postby ponyboy » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:40 pm

Yes, for the nineteenth time remember what reasonable expectations are for this team this year. Jank told us many times. We are materially ahead of that schedule. All is well.
ponyboy

Postby sadderbudweiser » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:56 pm

A whole week of practice with no game distraction when the schedule resumes with New Orleans. We should start to see our “conference rotation take shape. One week until McMurray!
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby RI Stang » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:04 pm

Hopefully exam schedules have allowed them to all practice together, and hopefully a light grad course load for Agua has allowed him to just run up and down the court non stop...
RI Stang
All-American

Next

Return to Basketball