PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Hello, Mr. McMurray!

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Hello, Mr. McMurray!

Postby Rebel10 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:41 pm

If SMU ever needs some instant offense they can just call in the asset (McMurray).
#HammerDown
Rebel10
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyFan32 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:22 pm

How he meets his man at half court and fights through screens says the most to me about his potential to contribute. Color me impressed with everything he is doing so far
PonyFan32
Heisman

Postby ojaipony » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:36 pm

Absolute difference maker. We'd be undefeated, or 1 loss at worst, if he'd played from the beginning (only lost by a few each to UNI/WKU and we lost to TCU mostly because of foul trouble - he would have been able to compensate for the loss of production in Whitt having to sit so much of that game).

With him, we are an AAC championship contender and a good candidate for making the tourney (and maybe even winning our first game ... maybe). Now, if Akoy was 100%, I'd say we'd be a front runner to win the AAC with a good chance of making a sweet 16 run.

Anyway, go BTHO UCF. Tacko will fall.
ojaipony

Postby PonyFan32 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:37 pm

UCF did not impress in the first half against Stetson. A lot of isolation drives. They pulled away in the second half when I was not watching so perhaps they played better
PonyFan32
Heisman

Postby ponyboy » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:08 am

Gotta take your hat off to Stetson.
ponyboy

Hello, Mr. McMurray!

Postby PonyFan32 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:53 am

That was bad :)
PonyFan32
Heisman

Postby sadderbudweiser » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:19 am

PonyFan32 wrote:UCF did not impress in the first half against Stetson. A lot of isolation drives. They pulled away in the second half when I was not watching so perhaps they played better

I watched them vs South Carolina State yesterday and came away with the same impression....meh.

They’ll be better when Taylor returns but our 5-outside will be tough for Fall to defend unless we pick that night to shoot 25 percent from three.

Fall does seem able to play a lot more minutes this year but still commits dumb fouls.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby RI Stang » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:08 am

Anyone know if Taylor will play on the 27th? I seem to recall when he first went down that that was just about the timeframe for him to return.
RI Stang
All-American

Postby sadderbudweiser » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:10 pm

RI Stang wrote:Anyone know if Taylor will play on the 27th? I seem to recall when he first went down that that was just about the timeframe for him to return.

The word is no. Not for another couple of weeks.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby RI Stang » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:10 pm

Bummer in that I want to see them/beat them at their best, but of course if it makes it "easier" that's not the worst thing either.

Feel for them that they had good anticipation for this season yet injuries have put a major damper on things. I hope the committee judges them (and Wichita) like they would an ACC or Big 12 team that played without one of it's best for a big chunk of the season, but call me skeptical. In reality WE should be judged differently if we step it up significantly now that we have McMurray but I don't see them factoring that in at all with our selection or seeding like it would for a PF (plus Big East) type of team.
RI Stang
All-American

Postby Rebel10 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:16 pm

sadderbudweiser wrote:
RI Stang wrote:Anyone know if Taylor will play on the 27th? I seem to recall when he first went down that that was just about the timeframe for him to return.

The word is no. Not for another couple of weeks.

Isn’t Taylor out for the year?
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby RI Stang » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:54 pm

No, you are probably thinking of Dawkins
RI Stang
All-American

Postby FriscoPMG » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:14 am

While his overall shooting line was bad (3-11), McMurray showed that spark he can bring last night. After UCF briefly took the lead (29-28), he came in and the offense went:
- Missed JM jumper (Ben offensive reb/tip-in)
- Layup by JM
- 3 by JM
- Steal by Akoy; great assist from JM on a Shake layup
- Insane alley-oop from Shake to Jarrey

...and just like that it was back up to a 41-31 lead. He'll have much better games statistically, but that 4-5 min stretch was the turning point in the game and he was a huge part of it.
FriscoPMG
All-American

Postby PonyLawExpress » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:35 am

FriscoPMG wrote:While his overall shooting line was bad (3-11), McMurray showed that spark he can bring last night. After UCF briefly took the lead (29-28), he came in and the offense went:
- Missed JM jumper (Ben offensive reb/tip-in)
- Layup by JM
- 3 by JM
- Steal by Akoy; great assist from JM on a Shake layup
- Insane alley-oop from Shake to Jarrey

...and just like that it was back up to a 41-31 lead. He'll have much better games statistically, but that 4-5 min stretch was the turning point in the game and he was a huge part of it.

I thought the same thing. Even on an off night he is an offensive spark plug whenever we run into a lull.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Previous

Return to Basketball