PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Hello, Mr. McMurray!

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Hello, Mr. McMurray!

Postby Junior » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:29 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:Anyone who thinks McMurray should redshirt is a complete moron

Word
Derail the Frogs!
Junior
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby LA_Mustang » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:33 am

I guess we will find out soon enough.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby sadderbudweiser » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:14 am

Wondering ( out of curiosity not panic) if this last minute thing is actually indecision, tactics.... or what.
Jank usually lays it out honestly so I’m sure he will....eventually.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:03 pm

Jank did lay it out honestly when he said they have to weigh what's good for the player and what's good for the team.

The way I see it, if he's activated, we are a better team this year but we've lost the opportunity to RS Landrum and/or Douglas, who will undoubtedly see fewer minutes, so it hurts their development. If he takes a RS and Shake moves on, our backcourt is stronger the next couple of seasons with an experienced McMurray along with Landrum and Douglas who will have gained more experience this season. You have to assume McMurray is chomping at the bit wanting to play, but he forfeits almost half a season if he plays this year.

That's just the basketball side of things. Not sure what his future plans are and how much he values the educational opportunity he has, but a RS year gives him another year of free tuition and more flexibility in his education.

As fans, we selfishly want the strongest team we can put on the court, but as Jank said: it's complicated. Like others have said, I guess we find out tomorrow night.
Charleston Pony

Postby PonyFan32 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:20 pm

From a team standpoint, I just don't see the wisdom of worrying about improving the team in two years but sacrificing a little this year. As far as team goals for recruiting and exposure the only things we are missing are getting to the second weekend in the tourney and going to back to back tournaments. McMurray gets us closer to both of those goals this year, which will help us get more elite players in two years for what could have been his senior year. A McMurray in hand is better than two in the bush?
PonyFan32
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:08 pm

Landrum is 9-42 so far so he hasn't proven that he can excel at this level yet -he should receive reduced playing time. Playing time should be earned. Landrum needs to improve substantially to ever become a starter-not saying it won't happen-but he's going to have to work hard like Emelogu to improve. More than anything he needs to adjust his game to the Division I level-those drives inside and his shots that worked in high school are getting swatted right back in his face in college. Whitt is a good example of a kid that has had to adjust his game to discover how he can be effective at the college level. Emelogu has learned that he is effective as a spot-up 3 point shooter not really as a dribble and shoot play maker.

Wait until we get a full roster--guys are going to sit and hopefully talent level will be higher. A full roster will mean someone will be brought in to take Landrum's spot. That's college basketball. We've just gotten used to a reduced roster and think everybody is "owed" on-court playing time. Tell that to Moreria and Caanen Cunningham who barely got off the bench during periods of their Senior year. Remember the post-game Larry Brown comments about feeling sick he couldn't play them more
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby sadderbudweiser » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:17 am

Well....

HELLO?

Or HELL NO?
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby sadderbudweiser » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:25 am

Stallion wrote:Landrum is 9-42 so far so he hasn't proven that he can excel at this level yet -he should receive reduced playing time. Playing time should be earned. Landrum needs to improve substantially to ever become a starter-not saying it won't happen-but he's going to have to work hard like Emelogu to improve. More than anything he needs to adjust his game to the Division I level-those drives inside and his shots that worked in high school are getting swatted right back in his face in college. Whitt is a good example of a kid that has had to adjust his game to discover how he can be effective at the college level. Emelogu has learned that he is effective as a spot-up 3 point shooter not really as a dribble and shoot play maker.

Wait until we get a full roster--guys are going to sit and hopefully talent level will be higher. A full roster will mean someone will be brought in to take Landrum's spot. That's college basketball. We've just gotten used to a reduced roster and think everybody is "owed" on-court playing time. Tell that to Moreria and Caanen Cunningham who barely got off the bench during periods of their Senior year. Remember the post-game Larry Brown comments about feeling sick he couldn't play them more

I really tip my hat to Jank (and all of his athletes) who have managed the scholarship debacle. Jank’s impressive W-L record has been accomplished in it’s entirety with literally one hand tied behind his back.
17-1 in conference and a tourney title last year with 6.5 guys? FUGGEDABOUDIT!

It’s simply amazing.

Next year’s roster won’t be entirely full but it does seem that a real solid 8 or 9 man rotation will be an option. The best lies ahead.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby Puckhead48E » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:49 am

Stallion wrote:Not panicky enough:

My best friend’s sister’s boyfriend’s brother’s girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who’s going with a girl who saw McMurray pass-out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it’s pretty serious.

Stallion, if you’re going to steal my schtick, at least use the proper meme...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Puckhead48E
Heisman

Postby jimhagle » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:59 am

He'll suit up tonight and play
jimhagle
Heisman

Postby lollaperuna » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:10 am

Holding Semi out was a mistake I don't see the staff wanting to repeat. If the player is really all that, then you better play him while you got him.
lollaperuna
All-American

Postby Arkpony » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:59 am

jimhagle wrote:He'll suit up tonight and play

I hope you're right!!
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby hoopmanx » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:42 pm

I love PFs, it's like 2002 in here. 3 pages on McMurray playing or not, and not even a sniff as to why he may not have.
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustangxc » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:45 pm

hoopmanx wrote:I love PFs, it's like 2002 in here. 3 pages on McMurray playing or not, and not even a sniff as to why he may not have.

Where do you stand?
mustangxc

Postby sadderbudweiser » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:29 pm

hoopmanx wrote:I love PFs, it's like 2002 in here. 3 pages on McMurray playing or not, and not even a sniff as to why he may not have.

Welcome back bub. This one’s for you.... stay with it at least for the slam.

https://youtu.be/5NPBIwQyPWE
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball