PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Hello, Mr. McMurray!

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Hello, Mr. McMurray!

Postby sadderbudweiser » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:43 pm

What would life as a Pony supporter be without the angst? :lol:
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby JasonB » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:20 pm

Who didn't believe me when I said it was still an open debate a couple of months ago?
JasonB

Postby LA_Mustang » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:31 pm

SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby PonyLawExpress » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:56 pm

Jank is just wanting to make sure McMurray makes the right choice for him. Jank wants him to play and McMurray wants to play. Jank just wants to make sure McMurray makes the right choice for him. The plan has always been for him to play, but just don’t want to pressure McMurray into a rash decision.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby LA_Mustang » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:03 pm

PLE, I get that but it is time to go public with the decision. We play Boise in four days.

Check your PMs.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby ponyboy » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:37 pm

As Jank says, it's complicated. Let's let them figure it out.
ponyboy

Postby PonyLawExpress » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:18 am

ponyboy wrote:As Jank says, it's complicated. Let's let them figure it out.

Yep. I’m not worried about it. Going public doesn’t do anything but put us at ease. As long as McMurray makes the best choice for him I’ll be good.

I would say it’s like 95% chance he is playing. McMurray really wants to be out there. Jank will probably ease him in agaisnt Boise regardless and play him a lot more agaisnt Cal Poly following night.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby ponyboy » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:38 am

I'm guessing Jank's thinking is he could really use McMurray the year after next. But, yes, it sounds like McMurray will make (or already has made) the ultimate decision on the matter.
ponyboy

Postby Stallion » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:51 am

I think SMU should invest in this year because with sanctions coming off we need to maintain our profile to get the kids needed to fill out the roster in the next 2 years. Jank still building his reputation-will he be considered a guy who let the program slip, the guy who maintained the program or will he take the program to new heights. Its tough on a Coach who has been hamstrung by sanctions caused by his predecessor-but he will still be held responsible.
Last edited by Stallion on Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby deucetz » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:53 am

ponyboy wrote:I'm guessing Jank's thinking is he could really use McMurray the year after next. But, yes, it sounds like McMurray will make (or already has made) the ultimate decision on the matter.

I'm not sure why anyone would want to be in college for 5 years for basketball, I understand college football. I would take the quickest path to either getting my degree or going pro (NBA or overseas).

If he is able to graduate on time by next year, there is no point staying a 5th year. If he does well this year and next, he can go pro--most likely overseas or G league. Why forgo a year of making a salary to stay in school?

I can understand Akoy's logic, because he never received enough playing time to get a favorable pro contract, either G league or oversea. He is using his extended eligibility to at least pay for a Masters degree. If McMurrary is as good, then he should graduate as soon as possible and start making money.
deucetz
All-American

Postby mustangxc » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:16 pm

Stallion wrote:I think SMU should invest in this year because with sanctions coming off we need to maintain our profile to get the kids needed to fill out the roster in the next 2 years. Jank still building his reputation-will he be considered a guy who let the program slip, the guy who maintained the program or will he take the program to new heights. Its tough on a Coach who has been hamstrung by sanctions caused by his predecessor-but he will still be held responsible.

I agree. If we make the NCAA tournament it will be much easier to recruit a replacement level player or better whereas if we become an NIT team it will be that much more difficult to attract top talent. We need to become a perennial NCAA tournament team in order to build our brand.
mustangxc

Postby sadderbudweiser » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:41 pm

mustangxc wrote:
Stallion wrote:I think SMU should invest in this year because with sanctions coming off we need to maintain our profile to get the kids needed to fill out the roster in the next 2 years. Jank still building his reputation-will he be considered a guy who let the program slip, the guy who maintained the program or will he take the program to new heights. Its tough on a Coach who has been hamstrung by sanctions caused by his predecessor-but he will still be held responsible.

I agree. If we make the NCAA tournament it will be much easier to recruit a replacement level player or better whereas if we become an NIT team it will be that much more difficult to attract top talent. We need to become a perennial NCAA tournament team in order to build our brand.

That’a a solid argument but it does get complicated by the possibility of two solid years of Whitt, McMurray, Mike and Chargois. Add Hunt, our current frosh and the 2019 recruiting class. Those first four alone might attract one and done level talent.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby GiddyUp » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:43 pm

Totally agree, keep up the momentum....we need some other bigs in here pronto and solid recruits for 2019. Semi worked out well but didn't expect him to make such a jump up so much in one year. Probably helped his case to be here a full year.

Mike will be awesome to watch. Transfers have been our foundation.
GiddyUp

Postby skyscraper » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:29 pm

The future is now. We can make the tournament this year, so we need to go for it.
The last time we made back to back appearances was 1984 & 1985.
skyscraper

Postby East Coast Mustang » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:59 pm

Anyone who thinks McMurray should redshirt is a complete moron
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball