PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Next weeks games - attendance

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Next weeks games - attendance

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:50 pm

White Helmet wrote:Cal Poly will be especially low after Boise beats us tonight to break the streak.

Nailed it!
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby White Helmet » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:14 pm

Yup. Color me shocked.
White Helmet
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:14 pm

This team has a pretty good "payback" record when we can get teams to come to Moody. Whole different intensity level on D
Charleston Pony

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:34 pm

I prefer the red jerseys but ill take the ones we win in.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby skyscraper » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:41 pm

Nice crowd tonight for the Monday before Christmas weekend.
skyscraper

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:42 pm

I’m going to say my biggest criticism of this game: spectators. They do not deserve to be called fans. For how many people were there and in the “mob” section (blasphemy), that was the quietest Moody has ever been. It’s embarassing and I felt like I was the only one yelling when on defense and cheering when we were on offense. There was no MoodyMagic. Thankfully, we have an awesome team and they pummeled BSU. I get it that students are gone but there should be more noise. Now if you lost your vocal chords or are older than say 70 years old, you’re excused. Otherwise, to those who watched the game quietly sipping on their tea and eating crumpets, get loud or get out. Just saying. It’s going to be hard to recruit with limited noise level. And cheering here and there after dunk is cupcake work. Actually being loud consistently even when our team turns it over or misses a shot is what being a fan is all about and creates the “home court advantage”. End rant.
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby tristatecoog » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:54 pm

I'm not too shocked when the opponent is Boise State (one loss or not) and very few students are there. Rupp Arena wouldn't be rocking for Boise. However, it's more fun when it's rocking. Still seems more energetic than a TCU or Mavs game.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby edwa » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:07 am

hard to be loud when your winning by 20 all game.
edwa
Junior Varsity

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:29 am

The first half was the worst and it was closer then. 2nd half sure but I believe Douglas got a cheap shot to the face and it was quiet. 2 years ago Moody fans would be throwing beer and whatever they had at the refs and booing them to death. Anyways, seeing pre-LB to LB to Jank to this night, just felt like fans don’t exist anymore.
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Pony_Law » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:55 am

Think your being a bit harsh on tonight. Pretty decent crowd given all the circumstances. Also not fair to compaired tomearly Days in moody. One thing I will say is I think our game presentation is designed to kill crowd enthusiasm. Way to many sponser spots not enough dj.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:52 am

watching games this week I'm seeing pretty sparse crowds in a lot of top 25 arenas, so at least more than the 1500 are coming out now. As for tonight's game vs Cal Poly...?
Charleston Pony

Postby mustang1992 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:45 am

Bought tickets through the MOB alumni deal. We were told we could move from 108 to 112. I think the crowd was as good as one might expect given the timing and opponent. Not sure the average fan considers BS much of a bball school or competition. The outcome of the game was never in doubt and we kept flirting with a 30 point lead in the second half. Some of the students/alumni were really giving it to the coach.

I wish they would allow us to sit down there all during the break. Tonight's crowd is probably going to be pretty quiet/small.

I like the MOB alumni idea, it's a nice shirt. I bought tickets to both games and I have season tickets. But why not open these up all during break?
mustang1992
All-American

Postby RI Stang » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:50 am

Please - complaining about the crowd is just looking for something to complain about. Do you watch any other games? Non-conference college basketball games are not very well attended other than the true blue bloods. Ever watched a UT game? Or any non-Kansas Big 12 game? Oklahoma State can't get anyone in there. Our crowds are so much better than 95% of what's out there. Week before Christmas, late tip on a Monday night and the place was mostly full, hard to ask for much more than that.

Hard to recruit? Good grief...go back to complaining about the football coach.
RI Stang
All-American

Postby PonyTime » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:18 am

LA_Mustang wrote:
White Helmet wrote:Cal Poly will be especially low after Boise beats us tonight to break the streak.

Nailed it!

Yep. Boise looked like the future Mountain West Champs out there!
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby digman52 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:50 am

SMU_Alum11 wrote:I’m going to say my biggest criticism of this game: spectators. They do not deserve to be called fans. For how many people were there and in the “mob” section (blasphemy), that was the quietest Moody has ever been. It’s embarassing and I felt like I was the only one yelling when on defense and cheering when we were on offense. There was no MoodyMagic. Thankfully, we have an awesome team and they pummeled BSU. I get it that students are gone but there should be more noise. Now if you lost your vocal chords or are older than say 70 years old, you’re excused. Otherwise, to those who watched the game quietly sipping on their tea and eating crumpets, get loud or get out. Just saying. It’s going to be hard to recruit with limited noise level. And cheering here and there after dunk is cupcake work. Actually being loud consistently even when our team turns it over or misses a shot is what being a fan is all about and creates the “home court advantage”. End rant.

I disagree with your assessment last night. I thought the crowd was good for a weeknight during the Christmas season, and commented to my son that I thought we had 4-4,500 there. I thought the volume level was good most of the night, and got cranking when we made the run just starting the second half. Lots of fun dunks and 3's for my 8 year old grandson to see. He was jacked ! And for McMurray to hit his first shot for SMU, and it being a 3, got them going too. Chagois had a great first half, with some timely blocks, rebounds, and takeaways. I was very glad to see that we got Shake and others some bench time, with him playing the whole game in a few of our early wins and losses.

It was a fun night, especially getting to pay them back for our loss last year.
digman52
Junior Varsity

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball