PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Jim Calhoun-Takes Shot at SMU

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Jim Calhoun-Takes Shot at SMU

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:52 pm

I would interpret that quote as a sign of respect for the SMU hoops program. We are the only newcomer they apparently respect because it's a big win for them to beat us...it's just not a big draw for their fans who don't really recognize schools outside the Big East footprint. Just wait until they get to experience Wichita State...their fans will probably wonder where the state of Wichita is and when it became a part of the U.S.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Pony_Law » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:41 pm

Yea If you ever spend any time on their fan forum they have two complaints as to why they are terrible. First they universally agree that the American Conference is killing them and they argue about Coach Ollie.

I don't really get their logic as to why the American is killing them. I guess they think it hurts their recruiting because they mostly play games far away from their traditional recruiting grounds (like New York, Phillie ect) meaning those kids won't get games close to home or something. Then you add into it they blame the decline of enthusiasm of the program on not playing their traditional Big East Rivals. It's hilarious because Ollie has recruited well he just can't coach them up.

Of course enthusiasm suffers from just not winning. Memphis had great enthusiasm when they were curb stomping Conference USA with Calipari, it's been their last 6 years of being terrible that zapped that. If UCONN and Memphis and temple played to their historical levels the America would easily be just as good and you would be looking at a 5-6 bid type of league.

They have gone so far as to suggest killing the football program to try and get back into the Big East. Maybe their problem is that without Calhoun, who was a massive recruiting cheat and a great coach, they just aren't that good.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby MV pony » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:09 pm

I would be happy to see SMU give up football and join the big east.
MV pony
All-American

Postby MV pony » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:11 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:I Just wait until they get to experience Wichita State...their fans will probably wonder where the state of Wichita is and when it became a part of the U.S.

Too funny :lol:
MV pony
All-American

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:16 pm

ponyboy wrote:Calhoun's right: we're not a natural and traditional rival for UCONN.

What’s a natural rival for th me? The 200+ RPI? They’re a joke. How about beat us first before whining. Seems like that’s our statement. Playing UCONN is like playing ECU, it’s a bye game :)
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMULaxer » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:41 pm

UCONN is so irrelevant now, this quote doesn't even bother me.
Pay Lashlee more money
SMULaxer
Heisman

Postby sadderbudweiser » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:25 am

Hell of a women’s team though Jimbo. They seem to have figured it out. :lol:
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby leopold » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:47 am

Yeah - that's not a shot at SMU. He said himself we have a great program.

The whole point of having a conference is having identifiable, traditional rivals that your alumni care about. We don't care about them and they don't care about us. Why is this a surprise to people?
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Treadway21 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:47 am

We don't care about them cause they suck. We cared when they were good. We have established a good rivalry with Cincinnati so it can be done with no history. UConn needs to get better and their fans will start getting fired up again.
An atheist is a guy who watches a Notre Dame-SMU football game and
doesn't care who wins.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Treadway21

Postby SoCal_Pony » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:41 am

Pony_Law wrote:Yea If you ever spend any time on their fan forum they have two complaints as to why they are terrible. First they universally agree that the American Conference is killing them and they argue about Coach Ollie.

I think there is a lot of merit to what they are saying.

They miss their old rivalries, we can relate to that.

They feel it’s impacting their recruiting, we can relate to that.

Most importantly, Calhoun was a great HC and they are finding out he’s difficult to replace. Reminds me a lot of Indiana. Great school, Great tradition. Lose Bobby Knight and look what happens. Same can be said of Georgetown and to a lesser extent UCLA. Let’s see if Syracuse and Duke can maintain their prominence once B & K leave.

Kansas, UNC and Kentucky seem bulletproof. Probably Duke. Not sure who else.

I think Coach Jank could end up as our best HC in ages for SMU (FB or BB). We need to enjoy him while he’s here and keep him happy so he stays.
SoCal_Pony

Postby No Quarter » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:02 pm

MV pony wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:I Just wait until they get to experience Wichita State...their fans will probably wonder where the state of Wichita is and when it became a part of the U.S.

Too funny :lol:

I was in Harford on business once many years ago and wanted a hometown newspaper and found a downtown news stand. (I don't think there are so many of those nowadays, so you know this was a looong time back.) I was (am) in Atlanta and a Constitution or even a Journal would have been good but no joy. As after thought I asked for a DMN or Times Herald and just got a blank expression. At length I was told they had papers as foreign as the Plain Dealer.

And yes, the Shockers will be one.

My forbears include a founder of New Haven and one who hid the paperwork in the Charter Oak. I'm glad my branch of the famiy moved south and west.
No Quarter
Heisman

Previous

Return to Basketball