PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Harry at Marquette

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Harry at Marquette

Postby Terry Webster » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:32 am

Be interested in McDowell once he is eligible to play. He stuck it out with us last year and I really respect him for that. Not surprised that he transferred since he was getting recruited over.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby RI Stang » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:43 am

Terry Webster wrote:Be interested in McDowell once he is eligible to play. He stuck it out with us last year and I really respect him for that. Not surprised that he transferred since he was getting recruited over.

Definitely agree - he left in good standing certainly and didn't slam us on the way out like the Froling family. I will always pull for him for sticking it out and providing that little bit of depth last year that we needed. Moving on was the right move for him, he would not be seeing the floor at all this year I don't think. Unfortunately he was one of, if not the biggest, misses for LB. The fact that we could have had Edwards over him if LB hadn't overruled is haunting, but such is life.
RI Stang
All-American

Postby Pony_Law » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:02 pm

Meh, I get the reasoning in LB's mind on McDowell vs. Edwards. LB has always been a defense, defense, defense first coach. We have been so good defensively since the rise because of the length of our guards and wings (and coaching of course). Nic Moore was a defensive liability because of his height but obviously made up for it with the rest of his game. IN 2016 he had already used up his "short" Guard spot on Barefield and probably wanted to make sure he was restocking on long guards. When evaluating the 2016 class you had a long athletic McDowell vs a short shooting PG and he had to recruit a lesser guard already to land froling.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby sadderbudweiser » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:02 pm

RI Stang wrote:Update on Sam - interesting that he's not looking at Marquette. Wichita would be quite the choice, doubtful his time at Moody would be very enjoyable for him...

https://www.scout.com/Article/Four-star ... -112805308

Thanks for that link. Funny combo of schools. And the decision comes down shortly.

Hoopman will be all over the poor kid if he chooses Maryland. If he chooses WSU..... :lol:
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:17 am

sacklunch wrote:I don’t see any harm in following his transition and discussing what could have happened if he stayed here or if we were better off with him gone.

Where are some of our other transfers? Tom Wilson? Dashawn McDowell? Sedrick Barefield?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got curious and had to check further on Barefield. He's played in 11 of their 12 games and is averaging 10.7 ppg hitting only 34.2% FG and 23.7% from three (shoots as many threes as anyone on their team). He is hitting 92.9% of 28 FTs. He's basically a 1:1 assist:turnover guy averaging 2.8 assists and 2.5 turnovers. Defensively, he's getting 2.3 board per game but has only 2 offensive boards all season and is averaging 1 steal per game. I would say he's in a better place for his game because he probably would not have seen much playing time at SMU.
Charleston Pony

Postby sadderbudweiser » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:50 pm

Each time I’ve watched Barefield he has shown nothing on defense. That might explain why he ended up in LB’s doghouse.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby Stallion » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:59 pm

0 points
0 rebounds

against Georgetown. Now averaging less at Marquette than he did at SMU. Daddy needs to have a talk with Coach about his role on the team and their plan to develop him for the NBA
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:20 pm

Stallion wrote:0 points
0 rebounds

against Georgetown. Now averaging less at Marquette than he did at SMU. Daddy needs to have a talk with Coach about his role on the team and their plan to develop him for the NBA

Only got 7 minutes in that game. Daddy will not be happy
Charleston Pony

Postby RI Stang » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:59 am

Charleston Pony wrote:
Stallion wrote:0 points
0 rebounds

Only got 7 minutes in that game. Daddy will not be happy

Thought the same thing when I saw the box score - this could go South in a hurry. My guess is that he joins Tom in the professional ranks in the homeland by summer.
RI Stang
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:36 pm

Harry might have been better off finding a program that is struggling but has a respected coach...so he could get more minutes and a chance to develop while at least playing
Charleston Pony

Postby sadderbudweiser » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:57 am

Bumping this so you all can whale on Pringles some more.

11 minutes, Four points, two rebounds in win vs Providence.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby Stallion » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:50 am

sadderbudweiser wrote:Bumping this so you all can whale on Pringles some more.

11 minutes, Four points, two rebounds in win vs Providence.

Thanks-all 3 stats are below what he averaged at SMU. Its time for Daddy to fix this
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby RI Stang » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:33 pm

I watched the end of that game. What's even worse is that it went to OT, three different Marquette guys fouled out, and Harry still didn't see the floor. He didn't look real pleased when the camera panned over to their bench during OT...
RI Stang
All-American

Postby EastStang » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:41 pm

His Dad is probably calling Mr. Ball to see how the weather is in Lithuania.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby sadderbudweiser » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:02 pm

EastStang wrote:His Dad is probably calling Mr. Ball to see how the weather is in Lithuania.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Pringles, Wilson, two Balls and.........

Ladies and Lithuanians: YOUR STARTING FIVE!
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball