PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Chargois, Emelogu and McMurray

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Chargois, Emelogu and McMurray

Postby Stallion » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:27 pm

we are going to be a much better team down the stretch than we were at beginning of the season. We couldn't have hoped for their contribution so far. Emelogu a 60% 3point sharpshooter, Chargois a 15 and 8 starter and McMurray goes out and drops 16 in limited minutes. We are about 1 rim protector from taking it to the next level. Unpredictable results in non-conference but we are rounding into a solid NCAA Tournament contender. Mcmurray is going to be a great addition allowing us to rest all of the starters-plus in tight games he will be able to create which has been missing
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Chargois, Emelogu and McMurray

Postby mustangxc » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:56 pm

As I said in the Boise State game thread, I don't think our ceiling is as high as last year's team but I think we have an excellent chance of surpassing their results. I think last year's team had a very good chance of making a final four run. I don't see this team as a final four type team, but am starting to think we could finally win a game in the NCAA tournament. If we could make a pact to win a game in the NCAA tournament and be done I would take that right now.
mustangxc

Postby Stallion » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:51 am

you could kind of see tonite how dangerous a Shake, Jarray, Chargois, McMurray and Emelogu/Whitt lineup could be-they emphasized spreading the Court and that's a lot of shooters on the Court for a Defense to handle and fosters space to create
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:01 am

Should change the title of this thread to include all 6 guys who are going to get major minutes. Love the balanced scoring this bunch is bringing. Take a snapshot of these stats because they can't last...can they? All 6 guys in double figures scoring??

http://www.smumustangs.com/cumestats.aspx?path=mbball
Charleston Pony

Postby Rebel10 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:36 am

The way McMurray played last night I kind of wish SMU would have had him for 2 full years by redshirting him since he is not a one and done type player. We better recruit like crazy to replace him and Shake after next year.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby JasonB » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:05 am

No rim protector, but as we learned from LB in year 3, the three point shot overcomes that deficit in today's game.

This is a very, very good team now. We will contend for conference and we will be a major player in the NCAAs.

We already had 5 guys who could score 15+ on any given night. But we were lacking the Nic "spark" and aggression. Cost us in the two early losses (and Whitt hadn't gotten comfortable yet).

This changes everything. Game on. We needed the intensity as much as the player.

This is our tourney "banned" team with a better surrounding cast. Gu is shooting as well as Sterling ever did. Chargois gives the range Ben couldn't and is a much more consistent scorer. Jarrey and Shake are both better than they were then. McMurray is Nic. And you have Whitt on top of all of that, with the other three frosh and Georgetown. We don't have Tolbert from that year, but I like the depth and guard play is more important in today's game.
JasonB

Postby deucetz » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:12 am

I wish we had a Tolbert. This team would easily be a top ten with a Tolbert type transfer player.
deucetz
All-American

Postby ponyboy » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:23 am

I think we are now a legitimate top 25 team. And that that was not the case pre-McMurray. Are we better than last year's team which on March 13th, 2017 was ranked 11 in the AP poll? I don't think so, but I guess we'll see.

As I said before this season started, I do have faith in Jank's ability to get more out of his team than the average coach. I won't be surprised if we're playing for the AAC title.
ponyboy

Postby Pony_Law » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:56 am

Rebel10 wrote:The way McMurray played last night I kind of wish SMU would have had him for 2 full years by redshirting him since he is not a one and done type player. We better recruit like crazy to replace him and Shake after next year.

Um no. If he were an actual one and done type player he’d play next year then leave so you lose that extra year anyway (like semi). He is short for the nba and there is zero chance he shows enough this year to make the nba. Next year when he gets all of shake’s minutes, maybe.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby LA_Mustang » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:14 am

McMurray is a game changer for this team simply because he thinks shoot first. Chargois has that same mentality but he doesn’t have the ball as much as guards/wings. As great as Shake is, he doesn’t immediately think shoot when he touches the ball. McMurray and Chargois do. McMurray can miss a few shots and the next time down the court he’ll be thinking how can I get a shot. He will get criticized for it from time to time but he is going to make us a much better and more dangerous team.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby PonyFan32 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:17 am

In the end, what matters is league play and the tourney. We get him for 2 years of league and tourney either way. And it's our job to recruit well enough to make us not miss him in 2019-2020.

No time like the present!
PonyFan32
Heisman

Postby Rebel10 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:00 pm

Pony_Law wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:The way McMurray played last night I kind of wish SMU would have had him for 2 full years by redshirting him since he is not a one and done type player. We better recruit like crazy to replace him and Shake after next year.

Um no. If he were an actual one and done type player he’d play next year then leave so you lose that extra year anyway (like semi). He is short for the nba and there is zero chance he shows enough this year to make the nba. Next year when he gets all of shake’s minutes, maybe.

You may have misunderstood what I was trying to convey. Let me put it like this after seeing him play I think I would rather just gut it out the rest of this year and have him for 2 full seasons. And think someone said to temper expectations on McMurray but obviously that was wrong. He fits we’ll into our offense and makes SMU a better team.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Pony_Law » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:09 pm

In my mind this team without McMurray was a bubble team, with him I think we are solidly a tournament team. Next year even losing shake and GU has enough on the roster already on paper to be a tournament team. Making the tournament 3 years in a row is a much bigger deal recruiting wise and for the health of the program than having another above average guard for the 19-20 season.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby LA_Mustang » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:14 pm

As I’ve said before, just wait until Mike joins this team......
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby Rebel10 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:17 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:As I’ve said before, just wait until Mike joins this team......

Heard good things about him in practice.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Next

Return to Basketball