PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Discipline

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Discipline

Postby lbloomiii » Sat Jan 24, 2004 5:47 pm

Is it just me or does it seem as though Hopkins' first two years at SMU are eerily familiar? I clearly remember one Jeryl Sasser, once tabbed the biggest b-ball recruit in recent history (until last year), arriving on the scene wide-eyed and intent on single-handedly taknig SMU hoops to the promise land, only to spend four years jacking up way too many off-balance shots and dribbling way too many balls off his knee. In Sasser's four years, SMU played one game in the post-season (an NIT loss).

His statistics alone would not have garnered any interest from NBA scouts, unless there was a wide-spread perception amongst basketball scholars that Dement's unwillingness to administer any discipline to his prized recruit stunted Sasser's development.

We are seeing the exact same trend with Hopkins some 5 years later (i.e. terrible shooting percentage, scores of turnovers and no interest in subordinating personal objectives to that of the greater good).

Can we salvage anything from his final two seasons?
lbloomiii

Return to Basketball