PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Whitt

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Whitt

Postby LA_Mustang » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:14 am

Whitt deserves a TON of credit, too. It really takes you awhile to realize and appreciate his effectiveness. He was 8-of-9 from the field last night, and as we are finding out he shoots the mid-range jumper as well as anyone. Plus, he seems to always make the right decision when he gets the ball at the FT line in the flow of the offense. I love that we have him for two more years.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Whitt

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:47 am

Whitt has become a huge part of our zone busting offense. With him finding open space and mid range jumpers in the lane and now adding McMurray to our 3 point arsenal, this team could be really tough come March
Charleston Pony

Postby Topper » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:56 pm

I am a fan. This guy can make a difference in a lot of ways.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby The Falcon » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:05 pm

I didn't know about Whitt when the season started but I am certainly a fan at this point.
As L A pointed out above - he makes great decisions and is a very good shooter. I especially
like his leaping ability. He plays above the rim and is a great rebounder as well as a very
good defender. I am excited about this team.
The Falcon
All-American

Postby Junior » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:16 pm

How can you not love his smooth-as-silk shooting stroke?
Derail the Frogs!
Junior

Postby PonyFan32 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:19 pm

I am amazed at how good a guy can be at mid range shots with form that is more hitch than form.

Would echo all that's been said above... The rebounding, back cuts, dribble penetration, and defense would make him very valuable as it is, but add a mid range game and finishing at the rim and it's not hard to see why he was a 4*
PonyFan32
Heisman

Postby RI Stang » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:39 pm

And it hit me the other day that he's only a Soph. Major kudos to Jank and company for taking what Larry started and building a sustainable program. He has given no reason to believe that we won't continually reload with guys like Whitt, McMurray and Chargois, even when losing as many as three pieces to the NBA. And to think he's actually done that to date with one hand tied behind his back (scholarship restrictions).

Amazing how little time has passed since Doh was patrolling Moody and the NIT wasn't even a pipe dream. Believe me, I want that NCAA tourney run as much as anyone (was there to witness the pain in person in both Louisville and Tulsa), but where we are now compared to where we were just a few years back is nothing short of miraculous and I'm loving it.
RI Stang
All-American

Postby ojaipony » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:41 pm

So versatile: can run point, can guard big guards or small guards, money from mid range/zone buster, high IQ. With he, Shake, and McMurray plus the versatility of Chargois and Jarrey, we are down right scary now. Oh, and then there's the grown [deleted] man / Boss Gu. I'd be scared to death to play us.
ojaipony

Postby PonyFan32 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:35 pm

I would too. Not many 1-6 lineups better than that.
PonyFan32
Heisman

Return to Basketball