PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Contenders

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Contenders

Postby JasonB » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:56 am

SMU just moved from fighting with a pack for 4th in the AAC and scratching out a bid to the NCAAs to contending with Wichita and Cincy for the league championship and being a player in the tourney.

That spark and edge is exactly what an already very solid team needs to push them over the top. With McMurray we are now a very hard team to guard man or zone.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Contenders

Postby deucetz » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:59 am

JasonB wrote:SMU just moved from fighting with a pack for 4th in the AAC and scratching out a bid to the NCAAs to contending with Wichita and Cincy for the league championship and being a player in the tourney.

That spark and edge is exactly what an already very solid team needs to push them over the top. With McMurray we are now a very hard team to guard man or zone.

I just wish we had a decent backup center. That can give us put backs, lobs, and defend & rebound.
deucetz
All-American

Postby sadderbudweiser » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:36 am

If we could only bottle last nights home court performance the home streak will continue right through conference. Beat Cincy, WSU, Houston, Temple and UCF at Moody and our shot at winning regular season
conference is as good as anyone’s. Bring on conference.
Last edited by sadderbudweiser on Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby PonyFan32 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:37 am

How sweet are these days when we are wishing for backup centers...

Anything that gets us a freaking tourney win. Tired of that monkey on our back.
PonyFan32
Heisman

Postby Pony_Law » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:59 am

Perhaps Amoy might manage to give us something this year, if it’s true he just started practicing. Just need him to pass rebound and defend for like 12 minutes a game.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby ojaipony » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:24 am

I agree.

Unfortunately, we don't get WSU at Moody this year I don't think. I feel very confident that we'll sweep Moody. But THIS team has to prove it can beat very good teams on the road/neutral (need to beat everybody we should but need to pick up a couple of tough ones on the road - WSU and/or Cincy dare I say Houston, Temple, UCF).
ojaipony

Postby PonyTime » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:30 am

ojaipony wrote:I agree.

Unfortunately, we don't get WSU at Moody this year I don't think. I feel very confident that we'll sweep Moody. But THIS team has to prove it can beat very good teams on the road/neutral (need to beat everybody we should but need to pick up a couple of tough ones on the road - WSU and/or Cincy dare I say Houston, Temple, UCF).

WSU plays at Moody on Feb 24th. We would have already played them on the road at that time - so if we were to drop the road game, perhaps we come out on top in the revenge game as we seem to always do (or best case, go for the sweep!).
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ojaipony » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:39 am

PonyTime wrote:
ojaipony wrote:I agree.

WSU plays at Moody on Feb 24th. We would have already played them on the road at that time - so if we were to drop the road game, perhaps we come out on top in the revenge game as we seem to always do (or best case, go for the sweep!).

Ah ok. Whatever Oklahoma did at their place, let's repeat that.
ojaipony

Postby smitty329 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:00 pm

Pony_Law wrote:Perhaps Amoy might manage to give us something this year, if it’s true he just started practicing. Just need him to pass rebound and defend for like 12 minutes a game.

Akoy? I hope it is lack of practice - he seems very slow/uncoordinated.
smitty329
All-American

Postby skyscraper » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:12 pm

After last night, there is a clear top 3 in the AAC --- WSU, Cincy and us.
skyscraper

Postby ponyboy101 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:08 am

Honestly we’re a top 5 team in the country if we played every game at Moody, what none of you guys are realizing is that SMU is 1-3 away from moody this season with a loss to Western Kentucky. Whoever is saying we’ve proved ourselves away from home is very very wrong..
ponyboy101
Recruit

Postby RI Stang » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:19 am

ponyboy101 wrote:Honestly we’re a top 5 team in the country if we played every game at Moody, what none of you guys are realizing is that SMU is 1-3 away from moody this season with a loss to Western Kentucky. Whoever is saying we’ve proved ourselves away from home is very very wrong..

Actually that's been mentioned quite often. Who said we have proved ourselves away from home?

Fact is, win the road games we "should" win and win all but one (split Wichita/Cincy) at home and we are safely in the tournament. You're correct in that we only have one road/neutral win, but the fact that it's Arizona is monstrous. That win is WAY more meaningful than those three losses.
RI Stang
All-American

Postby PonyFan32 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:37 am

Not to mention we were in control against Western Kentucky until the very end. We played fine away from home 35 of the 40 minutes of that game.
PonyFan32
Heisman

Postby mustangxc » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:41 am

PonyFan32 wrote:Not to mention we were in control against Western Kentucky until the very end. We played fine away from home 35 of the 40 minutes of that game.

Sounds a lot like our last 2 NCAA tournament games.
mustangxc

Postby gostangs » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:01 am

Don't want to put too much on one guy- but mcmurray gives us a totally different feel. Not sure a discussion about what we did before him is worth it.

That added scorer gives jank so many more options, and also gives us the luxury to play with fouls if needed. It's beyond huge. Also - if you can see mcmurray, shake and gu on the floor together, how open will you be in the middle? It's insanely hard to defend.

Add to that the boost in energy and the sterlingesq attitude and it's a different team.
gostangs

Next

Return to Basketball