PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

ESPN's NBA draft sleepers: Jarrey

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: ESPN's NBA draft sleepers: Jarrey

Postby PonyLawExpress » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:49 am

RI Stang wrote:
sacklunch wrote:I’m surprised to hear everyone’s skepticism here when they watch Jarrey everyday...when I sit at Smu games I’m wondering why Jarrey isn’t garnering more attention. He’s the best player on the team without question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think Jarrey has a shot at making a great living playing basketball and would LOVE to see him in the NBA. But "best player on the team without question"? Shake is so undervalued around here, it's just crazy to me.

THIS^^ It is like people expect Shake to score 22PPG and shoot 50% from 3. Everyone keys on Shake. He is our best player hands down. He leads the conference in assists and is Top 5 in the conference in scoring and top 10 in steals... Are his shooting numbers a bit down from last year? yeah, its because he takes alot more shots and is keyed on by everyone rather than being the #2 or 3 option (like Jarrey is). Jarrey is the ultimate glue guy on our team. He does all the little stuff GREAT, is a sold defender, but saying he is better than Shake or is the top option is unrealistic.

Jarrey gets 6-10 of his (13ish) points per game from oops, open back door cuts, etc. Nothing wrong with that, but those are created by good team ball. Shake doesn't get those.

Jarrey has good numbers, he is much better than last year and has an NBA future. However, he is shooting under 40% from 3 on not a crazy high volume and all are open set 3pointers (mainly from the corner and not very contested) and is a career sub 60% FT shooter as mentioned in the article. He is like 1-8 on his dribble step back jumpers this season. He isn't near the creator or shooter Sterling was as a Senior and Sterling is back and forth between NBA roster and the G-league. Jarrey deserves attention from NBA scouts and glad he is getting some love, but he is a 4-year player if he is smart. He needs to show he can be a guy who can be a primary scorer (take over a game offensively on his own), improve ball-handling, and nail his shot down like Sterling did his senior year to go with his hops and great defense.

Jarrey can make a decent career as an NBA defender and hustle guy, but still needs to improve his overall game to see the court and consistently make a roster. There are dozens of real athletic good defender wings who are 6'6+ all-over the country who want to play in the NBA. Shoot there are several in our conference (McDuffie, Jacob Evans, Quinton Rose) who all have a more developed offensive game than Jarrey.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby sacklunch » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:00 am

RI Stang wrote:
sacklunch wrote:I’m surprised to hear everyone’s skepticism here when they watch Jarrey everyday...when I sit at Smu games I’m wondering why Jarrey isn’t garnering more attention. He’s the best player on the team without question.

I think Jarrey has a shot at making a great living playing basketball and would LOVE to see him in the NBA. But "best player on the team without question"? Shake is so undervalued around here, it's just crazy to me.

See that’s where I (respectfully) disagree. There are no holes in Jarrey’s game whereas I think that Shake still struggles to drive the ball and finish at the rim.

Shake is awesome - great defender, ball handler, and shooter. But He struggles to create his own shot or finish at the rim.

sacklunch
Varsity

Postby RI Stang » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:52 am

I don't see how you can say there are no holes in Jarrey's game but there are in Shake's.

Jarrey struggles to finish (layups, short jumpers) and his FT% has to be concerning as it's a multi-year trend. Don't take that as a knock on Jarrey, obviously we're talking about ability to play at the highest level on the planet. I think he has a lot more work to do than Shake to get to the next level. I'm no expert but those who do claim to be experts tend to agree with me as Shake is projected to go in the 20s in this year's draft and I have not seen a single projection with Jarrey being drafted at all.
RI Stang
All-American

Postby PonyLawExpress » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:35 pm

RI Stang wrote:I don't see how you can say there are no holes in Jarrey's game but there are in Shake's.

Jarrey struggles to finish (layups, short jumpers) and his FT% has to be concerning as it's a multi-year trend. Don't take that as a knock on Jarrey, obviously we're talking about ability to play at the highest level on the planet. I think he has a lot more work to do than Shake to get to the next level. I'm no expert but those who do claim to be experts tend to agree with me as Shake is projected to go in the 20s in this year's draft and I have not seen a single projection with Jarrey being drafted at all.

Agreed. Shake has holes, but saying Jarrey doesn’t is not being realistic. Bad career FT shooter, not good shooter off the dribble, only a straight line driver, good 3 shooter overall (excellent from the corner), but just average for the college ranks from everywhere else (NBA is deeper) even Semi struggling from 3 in the pro’s. Average ball handler. Lots of this stuff is considered above average in college, but we are talking the jump to the NBA. Semi was unbelievable last year and was a second rounder and he is struggling with the jump at times.

Jarrey is an elite defender, ultimate glue guy, hustle guy, and real good athlete. He finishes above the rim. Those will all translate great to the pros and a lot of that Can’t be taught, but he is still developing a lot of his other skills. We saw some of that last year and they are developing even more this year, but they are still developing. He needs to continue developing/polishing his game to play in the show and avoid the G-League.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby sacklunch » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:03 pm

All great points

sacklunch
Varsity

Postby sadderbudweiser » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:13 am

Jarrey probably got some NBA attention last night.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby RI Stang » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:10 am

No question his athleticism will keep him on the NBA radar. If he can spend the summer taking tens of thousands of jumpers and really improve his shooting, he has a legit shot to get drafted next year.
RI Stang
All-American

Postby PonyFan32 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:21 pm

RI Stang wrote:No question his athleticism will keep him on the NBA radar. If he can spend the summer taking tens of thousands of jumpers and really improve his shooting, he has a legit shot to get drafted next year.

Good point. If he could take someone off the dribble just enough to hit pull up jumpers like Sterling did last year, it would be amazing
PonyFan32
Heisman

Postby ponyboy » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:42 pm

ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Previous

Return to Basketball