PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Boneyard Death watch.....

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Boneyard Death watch.....

Postby blackoutpony » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:01 pm

Stallion, you're putting yourself in the realm of standup, feelthehorsepower, Travis Bickle, and footballdad in terms of stupid and crazy posters. You're beating a dead Mustang over and over and over and over again.

You have a ton of recruiting knowledge that many, myself included, enjoy, however, you are being an obnoxious brat right now that is whining about not getting your way. Morris left, grieving period is over for everyone but you I guess. We're SMU in 2017, not 1977. "We do what we do". Move the eff on.

Time will tell if Chad is the coaching and recruiting god that you think he is, but he's is pig facking country now. Either go share your love of him with the hogs, or get over it.
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:29 pm

Yeah I really don't give a damn what you think. This ain't the first time I called out SMU's athletic program when it was warranted and I really don't care if it doesn't play well at the Mustang Club Jamboree. I spent a decade attacking the SMU Academic Model and detailed with actual evidence at least 10 major changes which had to happen before SMU could compete. I was told it was impossible and that I was being ridiculous mostly by people that didn't understand the first thing about the subject. Every damn one of those changes have been made by 2008. I'm going to point out that the football program is breaking from what many SMU fans have been boasting about for the last decade. Boasting that SMU will buy its way into the Big 12--that SMU should compete with schools like TCU and Baylor and that SMU can use the TCU Model to reach the P5. Guess what SMU-we just jumped the track. SMU can't claim to be using the TCU Model because TCU did not sit back and let other P5 schools take their Coach without lifting its finger. We'll see who made the wisest investment choice in about 3-4 years because a poor coaching choice can cost a school multiple times a salary increase might. TCU has probably recouped its investment in Patterson a thousand times. SMU since last December did nothing to try and recognize and support the last coaching staff--they basically encouraged them to leave (as some of you are recognizing by some facts that are getting out.)
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby blackoutpony » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:47 pm

You realize that when TCU started their rise, they actually lost the coach that started to turn everything around to an SEC West school. right?
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Boston Pony » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:50 pm

Stallion, we don't disagree with your position that more could be done for the program. What is not a valid argument is that Morris wouldn't leave. He took SMU to get back into Texas and re-establish his connections with TX HS coaches. He wasn't going to spend much more time here as his goal was to coach a team with a chance at a NC, i.e. P5 program. For Morris, he wasn't staying no matter what SMU was going to do financially. It's the state of the program right now. There isn't going to be any reorganization of the conferences in a number of years, so the slow but forward improvement (IPF, scheduling, and other resources) in prep for any final push. Assume that the investments being made were with your money. Would you spend it on an short term asset (Morris) or put it towards long term returns?
Boston Pony
Varsity

Postby RI Stang » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:00 pm

Boston Pony wrote:Stallion, we don't disagree with your position that more could be done for the program. What is not a valid argument is that Morris wouldn't leave. He took SMU to get back into Texas and re-establish his connections with TX HS coaches. He wasn't going to spend much more time here as his goal was to coach a team with a chance at a NC, i.e. P5 program. For Morris, he wasn't staying no matter what SMU was going to do financially. It's the state of the program right now. There isn't going to be any reorganization of the conferences in a number of years, so the slow but forward improvement (IPF, scheduling, and other resources) in prep for any final push. Assume that the investments being made were with your money. Would you spend it on an short term asset (Morris) or put it towards long term returns?

This. Not to mention that the comparison between TCU then and us now is no longer valid. The college football landscape has changed DRAMATICALLY since back then. It may change again, none of us no for sure, although I think it's clear the current model (mainly around TV rights fees) is not sustainable with the changes in how people watch. Due to the current landscape, I just don't buy the argument that Chad would have stayed had we paid him more. MAYBE if we were willing to pay him way above P5 market rate, but that money isn't available to us. Again, very different than when TCU was building (and of course when we should have been but weren't).
RI Stang
All-American

Postby sadderbudweiser » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:45 pm

RI Stang wrote:What's amusing to me is that it's logical to reason that paying Morris that market rate to try to keep him for one or two more years would have been money that we then wouldn't have to pay that market rate for Jankovich. Morris obviously wanted out and I don't blame him - he wants to compete at the highest level. Even if the stadium was full, we can't provide that in the current landscape of college football. Why try to match salaries with the SEC? That's a losing battle AND impacts (I'm assuming, don't know for a fact) the dollars you have available for basketball.

There is no question in my mind that dollars should be spent on basketball before football. I understand that football drives TV dollars, etc. but honestly getting in one of the major conferences at this point is a pipe dream. Embrace what we are - a basketball school - and pump money in there to keep it nationally relevant versus throwing it away on the potential to win eight football games against teams no one in Dallas cares about.

Ding Ding Ding...... WINNER!
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby mustangxc » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:53 pm

blackoutpony wrote:You realize that when TCU started their rise, they actually lost the coach that started to turn everything around to an SEC West school. right?

Shhhhh... it goes against the narrative Stallion is trying to create.
mustangxc

Postby StallionsModelT » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:58 pm

If only we had taken your advice and hired Todd Dodge a decade ago...
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Postby mustangxc » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:29 pm

StallionsModelT wrote:If only we had taken your advice and hired Todd Dodge a decade ago...

We would now be in the Southland conference as an FCS school. Yipee!
mustangxc

Postby StallionsModelT » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:31 pm

mustangxc wrote:
StallionsModelT wrote:If only we had taken your advice and hired Todd Dodge a decade ago...

We would now be in the Southland conference as an FCS school. Yipee!

Have we being ruing the day we passed on him yet? What's the moratorium on ruing? Does one ever get to the point where they no longer have to rue?
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Postby mustangxc » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:53 pm

To think we never would have needed Chad Morris because we would have had the great Todd Dodge!
mustangxc

Postby sadderbudweiser » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:39 pm

Someone wake me for the UCONN-WSU game tomorrow. And have me a Bloody Mary ready.

Kthxbai
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby Mestengo » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:40 pm

Quit picking on Stalin
Mestengo
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mrydel » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:53 pm

Mestengo wrote:Quit picking on Stalin

But he killed millions
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:18 pm

mrydel wrote:
Mestengo wrote:Quit picking on Stalin

But he killed millions

And atheistic communist federations suck! 8)
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball