PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

OFFICIAL: UCF vs. SMU Thread

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: OFFICIAL: UCF vs. SMU Thread

Postby Pony_Law » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:15 am

mrydel wrote:Foster looks sick or hurt.

Apparently he sprained an ankle in practice yesterday. Makes that lob dunk from shake even more insane.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:37 am

Really fun game. Shake to Foster dunk made #2 on the Top 10 for ESPN. I was surprise the game got so close but both teams played well. Atmosphere was great as well.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby skyscraper » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:52 am

That was a post Christmas game. Low scoring both teams uneven. Credit to SMU for finding a way to push through and win. Onto the next one.
skyscraper
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby The Falcon » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:35 am

I have heard Jank say on a couple of occasions that defense will win ballgames when the
office is not there, and this game certainly punctuates those comments.

Another old saying is that "Good teams still win when playing badly. Again - that is
what we did tonight.
The Falcon
All-American

Postby Stallion » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:49 am

Until the final 4-5 minutes the Defense was superlative-loved watching how SMU would front and double Fall and others inside despite giving up about 3 to 10 inches to their big men. I thought we were going to hold them under 40 until UCF got some open floor baskets late
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Big Hoss » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:42 am

I got so tired of the announcers talking about Tacko. Seriously, we get it, he's f-ing tall. Stop talking about him constantly unless he actually does something meaningful in the game.
Big Hoss
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:43 am

4 turnovers were meaningful
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

Stallion

Postby bubba pony » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:46 am

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/basketball-me ... vidual/143

announcers stated Ben is the best 3 point percent shooter in the nation. So I found this web site to confirm
bubba pony
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:18 am

bubba pony wrote:http://www.ncaa.com/stats/basketball-men/d1/current/individual/143

announcers stated Ben is the best 3 point percent shooter in the nation. So I found this web site to confirm

Magee at Wofford is the most impressive to me. He's shot a high volume and was key in their beating UNC at the Dean Dome. Let's just hope Gu can stay in the 50% range all year as that will help SMU win some big games.
Charleston Pony

Postby FriscoPMG » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:27 am

Big Hoss wrote:I got so tired of the announcers talking about Tacko. Seriously, we get it, he's f-ing tall. Stop talking about him constantly unless he actually does something meaningful in the game.

I was a lot more impressed with his backup #21 (Chad Brown). In only 15 min of play he had 7 pts and 7 reb.
Granted, Tacko forces you to alter your offensive game plan (hence no FTs for the first 37 min), but aside from a few silly offensive rebounds, he's pretty much a non-factor on that end.
FriscoPMG
All-American

Postby RI Stang » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:26 am

ReedFrawg wrote:Is it a packed house? Sounds fairly quiet on the tube.

Funny comment coming from a frog. Crowd was excellent for the week between Christmas and New Years, much better than anticipated. Tough game to get into with the physical play and low score, but I thought the crowd did a good job pushing the team along on a few occasions. Wasn't sure anyone was going to sit down or stop cheering after the Jarrey dunk, one of the longest running ovations that I can remember. If all of the crowds are like that until the students get back, we will be in great shape - need that same type of atmosphere for Temple.
RI Stang
All-American

Postby Terry Webster » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:27 am

It was also great to See Ethan guard him well without picking up any fouls. The announcers were mentioning that Jenk worked with him to use his body rather than his arms in controlling him.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby 1983 Cotton Bowl » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:00 pm

I came away impressed with UCF. Their defense is impressive. Offensively they struggled of course, with lots of turnovers. Partially because of our defense and partially because they didn't have their big playmaker. But it sounds like when they get BJ Taylor back and into the swing of things, they could be quite good on both sides of the court. The game in February at UCF could be really tough.
1983 Cotton Bowl
Heisman

Postby tristatecoog » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:30 pm

Need more shaved ice stations. I believe there was only one and the line was very long. :)

Son said the band wasn't in tune and they're mostly overweight. At least there is a band (they were great!) and that's what happens when you become an alumnus.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby Stallion » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:58 pm

Chargois defensive issues were always just adjusting to the College Game-he's not really a rim protector but he can block shots. It was pretty evident early that he hadn't adjusted to the hand-checking rules the NCAA passed in recent years. That can be taught. I've thought he had the foot work and hand eye coordination to be a good defender from Day 1. Now to be a great defender he needs to improve his physique and conditioning

Stallion

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball