PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

UCF game thoughts

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

UCF game thoughts

Postby Pony_Law » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:56 am

Ugly game offensively. I’ll give UCF some credit as they are a good team defensively but we missed some pretty good looks from 3. I partially blame the refs for allowing UCF to mug our players on the perimeter all night as well which I think took a toll on our players. UCF also was effective at taking away or inside offense which hurt.

Chagois played the best defensive game of his young career. Overall the team defense was great. We have to do a better job on the defensive glass or a better offensive team like cinci will beat us. Akoy looked serviceable for the first time defensively as well. He still is playing catch up but showed some quickness in his battles for position on the inside for the first time.

Foster is a freak athlete. He sprained his ankle yesterday and still cleared the rim by a foot on that lob. He is in a bit of a 3 pointer shooting slump but he still seems confident so I’m sure he will shoot his way out of it.

UCF is a good team because of there defense. They will be much better when BJ returns. Still think we will beat them in Orlando because we got plenty of good looks that normally will fall.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Re: UCF game thoughts

Postby ponyboy101 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:02 am

UCF will be an average team in the AAC behind teams like Cinci, WIchita, SMU, and Houston. Although there defense is pretty stellar there offense without BJ Taylor is non-existent. I was hoping we would take care of business and put them away sometime in the second half. We let them stick around enough to where if they had BJ that could have been a loss. I’m waiting to see that killer mentality in 1 player that can put the nail in the coffin but it does not seem like one had emerged. But I am very excited about conference play as long as we can play good defense, rebound, and shoot fairly well from 3.
ponyboy101
Recruit

Re: UCF game thoughts

Postby RI Stang » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:07 am

They will be very tough to beat later this year at their place. We seem to always struggle with them as Tacko is in our heads for sure (can't blame the players for this at all either, the guy is enormous) and having Taylor back will help them a great deal offensively. Hopefully the game will be called tighter though as I agree our guys were taking a beating and yet we still didn't attempt a FT until the last few minutes of the game, crazy.

Also agree on Agau, very encouraged with how he looked last night. Still has a ways to go, but he was quicker up and down the floor and really banged on Tacko - gave him fits. Loved when they subbed Tacko back in late that Jank jumped up and got Agau in immediately, very good coaching by our staff.
RI Stang
All-American

Return to Basketball