PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Duke Transfer

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Duke Transfer

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:52 pm

PonyLaw90 wrote:I haven't seen much from Akoy to make me feel he can measure up to Wichita, Cincy, UH or Temple. But hopefully between now and then, he starts getting his sea legs. It doesn't look like he has much lift.

I'm loving McMurray and Chargois. Neither of those guys is afraid of the outside shot. And yet, Chargois measures his shots fairly well and is really learning to play under control. It appears that the days of 2 fouls in the first 5 minutes are gone. He's really learned to use his feet and arms.

We need our leaders (Shake, GU and JF) to take the lead in each of our key games. 2 of them have to always come through, and any extra from JW, EC or JM will be icing on the cake. But I have to admit, this team is a little further along than I envisioned and in listening to the Jank after game interviews, he feels it too.

Having beaten Arizona and USC on a neutral court, I don't think these guys will be intimidated by Cincy or Witchita at Moody.

USC was at home. Also, I’m personally way too nervous with these guys on the road even against Tulane. I hope I’m wrong but we are very sloppy on the road (as most teams are). Remember we are 1-3 away from Moody. While the Zona win is great, UNI for us is looking bad. We should have beaten WKU but sloppy basketball led to our defeat. Now all those games were without McMurray so maybe he will turn the tide on our road games.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby RI Stang » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:16 am

Will be interesting to see if it was the road, or if it was just struggles coming together in the early season. Last year we had the loss at Boise where we played absolutely terrible. I didn't chalk that one up to being on the road, but rather we hadn't come together yet (and obviously getting rid of the Aussies helped that tremendously). Looking at the glass half-full, I'm not sure we really had a clue what we had yet when we were in Atlantis, and then we played awful at TCU while they couldn't miss. I'm optimistic that we've turned the corner, but obviously we'll get a good read on that over these next two weeks with three road games, including our two toughest of the season. Win 2 of those 3 and we are in GREAT shape...
RI Stang
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:48 am

Let's hope it is early season chemistry vs just not being able to play well on the road. Obviously the team that wins the American this year will be the one that can win on the road, because the top teams in our league have shown how tough they are to beat on their home courts
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Pony_Law » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:36 pm

RI Stang wrote:Will be interesting to see if it was the road, or if it was just struggles coming together in the early season. Last year we had the loss at Boise where we played absolutely terrible. I didn't chalk that one up to being on the road, but rather we hadn't come together yet (and obviously getting rid of the Aussies helped that tremendously). Looking at the glass half-full, I'm not sure we really had a clue what we had yet when we were in Atlantis, and then we played awful at TCU while they couldn't miss. I'm optimistic that we've turned the corner, but obviously we'll get a good read on that over these next two weeks with three road games, including our two toughest of the season. Win 2 of those 3 and we are in GREAT shape...

It wasn't even so much playing bad, it was severe foul trouble that really messed up that game for us.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyLaw90 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:41 pm

SMU_Alum11 wrote:
PonyLaw90 wrote:I haven't seen much from Akoy to make me feel he can measure up to Wichita, Cincy, UH or Temple. But hopefully between now and then, he starts getting his sea legs. It doesn't look like he has much lift.

I'm loving McMurray and Chargois. Neither of those guys is afraid of the outside shot. And yet, Chargois measures his shots fairly well and is really learning to play under control. It appears that the days of 2 fouls in the first 5 minutes are gone. He's really learned to use his feet and arms.

We need our leaders (Shake, GU and JF) to take the lead in each of our key games. 2 of them have to always come through, and any extra from JW, EC or JM will be icing on the cake. But I have to admit, this team is a little further along than I envisioned and in listening to the Jank after game interviews, he feels it too.

Having beaten Arizona and USC on a neutral court, I don't think these guys will be intimidated by Cincy or Witchita at Moody.

USC was at home. Also, I’m personally way too nervous with these guys on the road even against Tulane. I hope I’m wrong but we are very sloppy on the road (as most teams are). Remember we are 1-3 away from Moody. While the Zona win is great, UNI for us is looking bad. We should have beaten WKU but sloppy basketball led to our defeat. Now all those games were without McMurray so maybe he will turn the tide on our road games.

I was at that GAME and somehow I thought it was a neutral court! LOL
PonyLaw90
Varsity

Postby SMULaxer » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:47 pm

PonyLaw90 wrote:
SMU_Alum11 wrote:

I was at that GAME and somehow I thought it was a neutral court! LOL

Objection. Incompetent.
Pay Lashlee more money
SMULaxer
Heisman

Postby sadderbudweiser » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:43 pm

Man, if I was Marques Bolden I’d be wondering about my future at Duke now. Four new one and dones next season. He’s getting more minutes than Semi did but how bright can the future be now that Duke is One-Done U?

Two years of eligibility left.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby Whitwiki Pony » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:51 pm

Duke always has one or two upperclassmen to keep things steady
Whitwiki Pony
Scout Team

Postby RI Stang » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:44 pm

sadderbudweiser wrote:Man, if I was Marques Bolden I’d be wondering about my future at Duke now. Four new one and dones next season. He’s getting more minutes than Semi did but how bright can the future be now that Duke is One-Done U?

I wouldn't be surprised if he leaves. Would be a battle between us and TCU i would bet.
Last edited by RI Stang on Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RI Stang
All-American

Postby sadderbudweiser » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:07 am

RI Stang wrote:
sadderbudweiser wrote:Man, if I was Marques Bolden I’d be wondering about my future at Duke now. Four new one and dones next season. He’s getting more minutes than Semi did but how bright can the future be now that Duke is One-Done U?

I wouldn't be surprised if he leaves. Would be a battle between us and YOU i would bet.

You-WHO?
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby PonyTime » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:14 am

sadderbudweiser wrote:
RI Stang wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if he leaves. Would be a battle between us and YOU i would bet.

You-WHO?

I think he meant OU... Oklahoma. Somehow added a Y
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby sadderbudweiser » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:34 am

I'm thinking the competition is TCU.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby deucetz » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:14 pm

I know his mother really liked the academics at Duke. He has two options, graduate from Duke in 3 years. and do grad transfer for senior year. Or transfer at the end of his sophomore year, he will have to be out of basketball for a year then he will have two years eligibility.

Both decisions are a tough choice. Duke is going to continue to restock as One and Done U. He likely won't get starter minutes playing at Duke.
deucetz
All-American

Postby RI Stang » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:50 pm

PonyTime wrote:I think he meant OU... Oklahoma. Somehow added a Y

Damn auto-correct, meant TCU. I think that was my phone asking why I would ever type those three letters...
RI Stang
All-American

Postby PonyLawExpress » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:03 pm

RI Stang wrote:
PonyTime wrote:I think he meant OU... Oklahoma. Somehow added a Y

Damn auto-correct, meant TCU. I think that was my phone asking why I would ever type those three letters...

TCU would 100% be the major competition. He visited them and TCU was in his top 3 before he picked Duke.

I think he will get some more minutes next year given the won't have another true 5-man, but he probably won't ever get "starters mins" at Duke. K will probably convince him to stay again.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball