PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Duke Transfer

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Duke Transfer

Postby PonyLawExpress » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:53 am

Charleston Pony wrote:
sadderbudweiser wrote:We have three years ahead of a IMike/Chargois front line.
Agau returns next year.... and with a year of health that might really mean something.
Put Hunt in the mix.... maybe Ray. Young probably redshirts?
Given our scholarship situation I really don’t see that we HAVE TO get a big unless he’s too good to pass on.
Perhaps in the 19 cycle we get a transfer big.... ala I Mike.

Edited to add: one benefit of the scholarship restrictions: easier to keep track of the roster! :lol:

Agau is a SR GT and does not have another year of eligibility after this season...unless I missed something?

He applied for an extra year of eligibility since he got hurt and missed an entire season and the NCAA granted it so next year he will be a 6th year senior.

I’m so pumped for the frontline of IMike and Chargois for the next 2-3 years. That is a scary good frontcourt duo. If Akoy is healthy next season that would be a huge addition. Feron Hunt is the perfect fit to play Small ball 4 and some 3 alla Jarrey Foster. (Will probably play more 3 as a frosh) Ray will likely be a real quality backup as a Junior/Senior. If he puts in the work he could even earn some decent mins next year in a deep frontcourt.

I wouldn’t turn away Bolden if he was an end of the year Transfer, we almost certainly won’t take a mid-year Transfer because of the restrictions, but I would prefer us take a nice transfer guard like a Whitt or McMurray given our frontcourt depth.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby gostangs » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:52 am

Front court depth can disappear quickly. The post guys seem harder to land - and more rare if you know you have a great one (ala Tolbert).
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyLawExpress » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:42 am

gostangs wrote:Front court depth can disappear quickly. The post guys seem harder to land - and more rare if you know you have a great one (ala Tolbert).

I agree, but unless you think Ray is a total flop and don’t have much faith in Feron Hunt developing as a 3/4 we need more help at guard (and that’s not mentioning Young). After next season the only returning guards on the roster will be Whitt, Douglas and Landrum and as of now we have no 2018 commit guards. I know 2019 class will be a heavy guard class, but couldn’t hurt to grab a solid Combo Guard Transfer.

I do agree that frontcourt depth can disappear quickly.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby sadderbudweiser » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:05 pm

We’re good up front for 2-3 years.... doesn’t mean don’t take the right guy though.

At point we’ll have Whitt with Landrum as backup.

It’s the 2-3 where we get thin after next year..... basically Douglas and Hunt right now. I think we could use some help there after next season.... possible after this season if we lose BOTH Shake and Jarrey. We need another Shake/Jarrey combo.

In retrospect: that recruiting year looked good, not great, at the time. How they are playing now is a testament to their work ethic, and the coaching staff’s recruiting and player development.

This program has “good bones.”
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby deucetz » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:24 pm

Jahmal McMurray is a combo guard as well.

I saw we pick up a senior grad transfer with one year eligibility. I wish we can depart from Agau if he continues to not show any development. Grad Transfers shouldn't be a two year process for development.
deucetz
All-American

Postby PonyFan32 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:21 pm

But McMurray is gone after next year, which is when we will be thinner at guard
PonyFan32
Heisman

Postby sadderbudweiser » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:24 pm

deucetz wrote:Jahmal McMurray is a combo guard as well.

I saw we pick up a senior grad transfer with one year eligibility. I wish we can depart from Agau if he continues to not show any development. Grad Transfers shouldn't be a two year process for development.

McMurray is gone after next season. All of my comments apply to the 19-20 season.... unless we happen to lose BOTH Shake and Jarrey. If that happens then the right grad transfer combo guy is a great idea.

Agau’s medical situation is both unfortunate and unique. He seems to be improving game by game to where he can give a “serviceable” 10-15 minutes per game. Give him a year of health and progress and he really helps us next year. Like most of us I was really skeptical a few weeks ago. Now I can see where he could be very helpful.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby sadderbudweiser » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:29 pm

Whitt, McMurray, Jarrey, IMike and Chargois is a very solid starting five.

Then you have Landrum, Douglas, Ray, Hunt and Agau.

Young redshirts.

Good squad if the frosh progress.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby PonyLawExpress » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:05 pm

sadderbudweiser wrote:Whitt, McMurray, Jarrey, IMike and Chargois is a very solid starting five.

Then you have Landrum, Douglas, Ray, Hunt and Agau.

Young redshirts.

Good squad if the frosh progress.

Real good starting 5. Could see Douglas taking a big step forward in the offseason. Landrum and Ray both can have roles, but seem to need much more development offensively before they can be heavy contributors. Also, as mentioned above we need more depth at 2/3 which is more what Douglas plays while Ray is more pigeonholed as a 5, until he develops more O and Landrum as a 1, because of his size/Shooting.

Akoy could be huge for us next year if he could give us a quality 15 mins a game. He has just started practicing the past 1-2 weeks and has looked much better past 2 games. Hunt will bring good energy minutes, size, and athleticism as he gets stronger/develops his shot.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby SMU-LSU Fan » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:33 pm

I have to be honest, I think Agau is a bust. I hope I am wrong, but when we start playing better teams, I think he will be a liability. He is just not a smooth player. Again, I sure hope he becomes an asset
SMU-LSU Fan

Postby PonyLaw90 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:40 pm

I haven't seen much from Akoy to make me feel he can measure up to Wichita, Cincy, UH or Temple. But hopefully between now and then, he starts getting his sea legs. It doesn't look like he has much lift.

I'm loving McMurray and Chargois. Neither of those guys is afraid of the outside shot. And yet, Chargois measures his shots fairly well and is really learning to play under control. It appears that the days of 2 fouls in the first 5 minutes are gone. He's really learned to use his feet and arms.

We need our leaders (Shake, GU and JF) to take the lead in each of our key games. 2 of them have to always come through, and any extra from JW, EC or JM will be icing on the cake. But I have to admit, this team is a little further along than I envisioned and in listening to the Jank after game interviews, he feels it too.

Having beaten Arizona and USC on a neutral court, I don't think these guys will be intimidated by Cincy or Witchita at Moody.
PonyLaw90
Varsity

Postby Pony_Law » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:05 pm

SMU-LSU Fan wrote:I have to be honest, I think Agau is a bust. I hope I am wrong, but when we start playing better teams, I think he will be a liability. He is just not a smooth player. Again, I sure hope he becomes an asset

He is a bust in the sense that I expected him to come in and be a starter that gives you a solid defense and rebounding for about 25-30 minutes a game. It's to early to say he can't be an important piece on this team. If he can give 10-15 minutes of solid defense and rebounding and not have the offense come to a stand still he becomes a very important piece on a really good team. There is a reason he was a recruited to transfer here. He has not been the player he was at Georgetown yet at all.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby indianmustang » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:39 pm

This is looking like last year Ben gu thread :D
Mustang from India
indianmustang

Postby sadderbudweiser » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:52 pm

indianmustang wrote:This is looking like last year Ben gu thread :D

Very funny...I was thinking the same thing regarding Agau.

I don't think they would have taken him if h was just a lump. He couldn't crack the lineup at Louisville (and maybe he doesn't like hookers). He did contribute some at Georgetown. Then he gets a bizzare injury that completely debilitates him. He came back with zero conditioning. I've joked too that I don't think he can touch the rim. But I can see improvement and he deserves time to get back into shape.

Part of the problem here, I think, is that many of us penciled him in as a starter the minute he signed. That didn't happen. But what DID happen is Chargois came up total aces. It's pretty much a reverse of what we were talking about last spring and summer: Chargois and Ray spelling Agau.

Give the guy a break....he may struggle against WSU and Cincy but if we can get some good minutes from him we should be pleased. And thank our lucky stars for Chargois.
Last edited by sadderbudweiser on Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby mrydel » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:52 pm

indianmustang wrote:This is looking like last year Ben gu thread :D

I agree. Agau showed extreme improvement in his last game. Why don’t we let him get into playing shape before writing him off.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball