PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Official: Tulane Game Thread

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Official: Tulane Game Thread

Postby RI Stang » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:30 pm

mustangxc wrote:Tulane is not a bad loss. It is bad because of the way we lost it. We had the game won and stopped playing with more than 5 minutes to spare. It seems like a bad loss to us because we are ahead of Tulane in the rebuilding and view Tulane much like most of the country has viewed us up until recently. In terms of metrics, it is not that bad. We have to win all of our remaining home games because I don't have confidence we can steal any of the games we would need to steal on the road to boost our resume. I still think this is a one and done NCAA tournament team.

This is correct - Tulane is actually top 100. Northern Iowa is sliding quickly and will be a worse loss, especially since it was on a neutral floor and not a true road game. Tulane and WKU games had very similar feels and left me equally frustrated.

With that said, I still feel strongly that going 1-1 on this trip with a win vs Cincy would be way more meaningful to our tourney hopes than 1-1 with the Tulane win. I hope we find out.
RI Stang
All-American

Re: Official: Tulane Game Thread

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:03 pm

This was a bad loss if you want to consider it's impact on our NCAA bid chances...period. Tulsa had no problem winning at Tulane and I would like to think we are a better team than Tulsa (I do acknowledge they are currently leading our league right now at 3-0). I agree with those who say it will take a win at Cincinnati to erase the stench of this loss.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Previous

Return to Basketball