PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

No more complaints about top 25

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: No more complaints about top 25

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:28 pm

Hopefully we can host an NIT game or two. Those were fun.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Julian Grendel » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:30 pm

PonyLaw90 wrote:Let's beat cincy on Sunday and reevaluate.they can be beaten.

I was disappointed with Agau. Didn't expect a veteran to make that pic foul that cost us a possession.
He does it almost every game
Julian Grendel
Junior Varsity

Postby jimhagle » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:27 pm

Long way to go in conference play so let's chill on not getting into the big dance. Tulane was no slouch and played well and is well coached. The loss of Chagrois was huge and we simply passed the ball too much and forced shots driving into the lane all night. Was that coaching yes and no but Jank seemed to have little control over the team last night.
jimhagle
Heisman

Postby PonyTime » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:42 pm

Maybe Tulane is a better team than many of you would like to admit. I would not be surprised to see them finish in the middle of the pack - ahead of teams like UCONN, Memphis, USF, ECU and Temple.

They did just beat Temple on the road by 10 - a team that is perhaps comparable to SMU in terms of talent this year.

They hired their Larry Brown hire and he brought in a bunch of transfers who sat out last year. I think they are a legit team after years of being an RPI killer.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyLawExpress » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:09 pm

PonyTime wrote:Maybe Tulane is a better team than many of you would like to admit. I would not be surprised to see them finish in the middle of the pack - ahead of teams like UCONN, Memphis, USF, ECU and Temple.

They did just beat Temple on the road by 10 - a team that is perhaps comparable to SMU in terms of talent this year.

They hired their Larry Brown hire and he brought in a bunch of transfers who sat out last year. I think they are a legit team after years of being an RPI killer.

No doubt. Tulane is probably 6th or 7th best team in the conference. They are well coached and have two STUD players. They will probably finish around 100-130. Not an absolute disaster loss, but with UNI tanking and WKU we now have a few ehh losses. We need WKU to win the CUSA so they finish in Top 100.

Magic number for conference is probably 13. 13-5 probably gets us in the NCAA tourney (23-8 with wins over UA, USC, Boise in OOC). That's not going to be easy to do, but its doable if we take care of business at Moody and can win 3 of 6 on the road against UC, WSU, UH, UCF, UConn, and Tulsa.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby mrydel » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:23 pm

Seems the committee likes road wins and how you finish the season. I think we are still ok if we can step it up a little.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby SmooBoy » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:46 pm

At least no one is panicking. :roll:
SmooBoy

Postby RI Stang » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:34 pm

mrydel wrote:Seems the committee likes road wins and how you finish the season. I think we are still ok if we can step it up a little.

How you finish has been removed from consideration but they have made it clear that who you beat and where you beat them trumps everything else. "Bad" losses are nowhere near as impactful as good wins, especially those away from home.

VERY frustrating loss but everything is still right in front of this team because of those wins over Zona, USC and Boise.
RI Stang
All-American

Postby mrydel » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:00 pm

Removed from consideration. That is like a judge telling the jury to disregard what they heard. When did they change that because it sure worked in reverse on national tv a few years ago.
mrydel

Postby horsemanx » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:35 am

malonish wrote:
ponyboy101 wrote:Where the hell was chagois???

Sick at home. Not his fault.

Uh, yeah that is his fault.
An object at rest cannot be stopped!
horsemanx
All-American

Postby sadderbudweiser » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:56 pm

We had that game well in hand without Chargois and the finish could have been different but for missing the front end of a couple of one and ones. Not his fault.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby sacklunch » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:42 pm

PonyLawExpress wrote:
PonyTime wrote:Maybe Tulane is a better team than many of you would like to admit. I would not be surprised to see them finish in the middle of the pack - ahead of teams like UCONN, Memphis, USF, ECU and Temple.

No doubt. Tulane is probably 6th or 7th best team in the conference. They are well coached and have two STUD players. They will probably finish around 100-130. Not an absolute disaster loss, but with UNI tanking and WKU we now have a few ehh losses. We need WKU to win the CUSA so they finish in Top 100.

Magic number for conference is probably 13. 13-5 probably gets us in the NCAA tourney (23-8 with wins over UA, USC, Boise in OOC). That's not going to be easy to do, but its doable if we take care of business at Moody and can win 3 of 6 on the road against UC, WSU, UH, UCF, UConn, and Tulsa.

Let’s face it...WE ARE a middle of the pack conference team this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sacklunch
Varsity

Postby PonySnob » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:27 pm

mrydel wrote:Seems the committee likes road wins and how you finish the season. I think we are still ok if we can step it up a little.

Blowout losses don’t help
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby mrydel » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:30 pm

I don’t think we stepped it up a little.
mrydel

Postby indianmustang » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:32 pm

we are looking like old doh teams
Mustang from India
indianmustang

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball