PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Official SMU at Cincy Game Thread

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Official SMU at Cincy Game Thread

Postby PonyLawExpress » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:48 pm

McMurray has 7 Turnovers in 9 minutes. :shock: Wow. He is forcing it way too much.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby PonyLaw90 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:00 pm

Ouch. Not blaming any of the team or even our coach. 2 travel games, sickness, dead legs, whatever. We were off. Come back and realize that we have a lot of work to do. Can't say, "we were close, a bounce here or there." We were outmanned and beaten.
PonyLaw90
Varsity

Postby JasonB » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:10 pm

We aren't running our offense at all. All isolation in the last two games, just ugly. Pressing us has a big effect on our offense because we don't have the time once we get up the court to run our half court game.

Teams that can man up stop dribble penetration are going to be a struggle for us all season because we don't have any low post game at all. Teams that zone us or have to help off the dribble we are going to dominate.

Agau has been a disappointment on both ends of the court. No low post presence offensively. Defensively he doesn't scare anyone and he isn't a rebound machine. Ray at least has the energy and athleticism.

Personally, I would play Landrum, Ray, Douglas more minutes because the depth can help us later in the year.

Coach warned us about the fit of McMurray and that the team would be up and down a bit. Unfortunately, it looks like the concerns were justified. Hopefully we will come back home and actually run our offense a bit and get our rythem back.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyLawExpress » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:24 pm

JasonB wrote:We aren't running our offense at all. All isolation in the last two games, just ugly. Pressing us has a big effect on our offense because we don't have the time once we get up the court to run our half court game.

Teams that can man up stop dribble penetration are going to be a struggle for us all season because we don't have any low post game at all. Teams that zone us or have to help off the dribble we are going to dominate.

Agau has been a disappointment on both ends of the court. No low post presence offensively. Defensively he doesn't scare anyone and he isn't a rebound machine. Ray at least has the energy and athleticism.

Personally, I would play Landrum, Ray, Douglas more minutes because the depth can help us later in the year.

Coach warned us about the fit of McMurray and that the team would be up and down a bit. Unfortunately, it looks like the concerns were justified. Hopefully we will come back home and actually run our offense a bit and get our rythem back.

When Chargois leaves the game against quality teams with good bigs we struggle. Akoy just doesn't have it this year.. the biggest issues I have with him is that he has 0 defensive rebounds the past 2 games. That can't happen. Also, every game he makes 2-3 just bonehead or clumsy turnovers. Ray has no feel on offense and makes Shaq look like Steph Curry at the FT line... And defensively he doesn't know how to guard without fouling. Ray might turn into a good bench big eventually, but he has been disappointing.

I expected McMurray to make bonehead plays and struggle to fit in at times, but WOW he has been bad past 2 games... I hope he responds positively. Jank had no choice, but to bench him tonight. Gu also HAS to get more aggressive. Teams aren't going to give him much space so he needs to shoot when he has any opportunity.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:26 pm

We play Temple on Wednesday. Very nervous. I wish we were playing ECU...
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Rebel10 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:40 pm

I don’t remember Jank ever stating he was concerned about McMurray fitting. If he was concerned about that then he should have never recruited him. We may struggle against physical teams that can shot. Now let’s see how the team responds against Temple since some seem to have turned on the team. Still too early to totally take SMU out of the NCAA tournament and put SMU in the NIT. The next 4 game stretch will tell lot about the team. Go Mustangs.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:52 pm

Pony81 wrote:The American is a 2 tournament league.

Assume you meant we are a 2 bid league and that might turn out to be the case, but if so, the AAC will dominate the NIT brackets because the top 6 teams in our league are going to be post season worthy.
Charleston Pony

Previous

Return to Basketball