PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Official SMU at Cincy Game Thread

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Official SMU at Cincy Game Thread

Postby PonySnob » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:59 pm

Pony_Law wrote:At the end of the day this was always going to be a transition year. It always has to be when you put 2 kids into the league and a 3rd into the g-league. This team flashed enough durning the non conference to make us forget that but we shouldn’t have.

Not sure how this Team will finish. Think we are safely an NIT team just taking care of the bottom teams at Moody.

#moodyreseat
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:00 pm

Very classy move by Cronin not to empty his bench against us.

Probably a smart one too.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby Rebel10 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:01 pm

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:Very classy move by Cronin not to empty his bench against us.

I guess we will see when they come to Moody. Right now SMU has that middle of the road mid major look.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby redpony » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:04 pm

I hope these players and coaches are proud of the beat down they just received. No effort, no nada.
We don't need excuses like recruiting etc. etc. We are just showing how little real talent we have and how little real talent has been recruited.
redpony

Postby jimhagle » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:07 pm

Rebel10 wrote:
PonyLawExpress wrote:
jimhagle wrote:And Cincy struggled to beat Temple so this mess is on us

Playing in the road is totally different than playing at home. UC probably waxes Temple by 20+ at home.

Right PLE. And a Temple is not East Carolina. Temple is a good team. SMU might struggle at Temple too.

Temple is now 7-8 after getting drummed by UCF today-hardly a good team right now.
jimhagle
Heisman

Postby jimhagle » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:08 pm

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:Very classy move by Cronin not to empty his bench against us.

That is Cronin for you- a total classless act.
jimhagle
Heisman

Postby PonySnob » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:11 pm

jimhagle wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:
PonyLawExpress wrote:[quote="jimhagle"]And Cincy struggled to beat Temple so this mess is on us

Playing in the road is totally different than playing at home. UC probably waxes Temple by 20+ at home.

Right PLE. And a Temple is not East Carolina. Temple is a good team. SMU might struggle at Temple too.

Temple is now 7-8 after getting drummed by UCF today-hardly a good team right now.[/quote]

Must win game for us at Moody on Wednesday
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby Pony_Law » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:12 pm

redpony wrote:I hope these players and coaches are proud of the beat down they just received. No effort, no nada.
We don't need excuses like recruiting etc. etc. We are just showing how little real talent we have and how little real talent has been recruited.

Thst’s Not fair. The kids were diving and playing hard they just got cut punched by a better team playing in their place. As for the recruiting, we will see. Douglas and landrum could be players next year. Landrum needs to learn how to finish at the D1 level. Douglas just needs a bit more confidence in his offense and to calm down a bit on the floor. Ray, well ray just needs to learn to play d without fouling for the 5-10 minutes he will average for his career.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby Julian Grendel » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:14 pm

Disagree as to playing hard.

Maybe it was dead legs from being sick still.
Julian Grendel
Junior Varsity

Postby jimhagle » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:18 pm

We looked scared and intimidated today.
jimhagle
Heisman

Postby SoCal_Pony » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:20 pm

The #1 ranked team in the country just lost to an unranked Ohio State team 80-64. It happens.

I do think our most likely chance for an NCAA bid is to make some serious noise in the American Tourney (champs or runner-ups). Maybe we are a different team then.
SoCal_Pony

Postby mustang1992 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:25 pm

Watching this team this year, no one should have been expecting a win tonight. But to get blown out and never really in the game, straight up pathetic.

The athletic dept needs to wake up and take a realistic perspective about where this bball program is at. We've been to the ncaa tourney 3 times in 30 years and not won a game since 1988. To compare us to Villanova, Gonzaga, Kentucky, Arizona, and Kansas is a complete joke - yep I realize we beat Zona this year, but our program as a whole is not even in the same zip code with these programs.

Sadly our season tickets are getting more and more in jeopardy with each game. The arrogance of the athletic dept is also not helping their cause.
mustang1992
All-American

Postby PonyLawExpress » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:29 pm

redpony wrote:I hope these players and coaches are proud of the beat down they just received. No effort, no nada.

This is excessive. This “lack of talent” has 3 real quality wins and another good win. We are a good team and have talent, we are just inexperienced (unlike UC) and don’t have depth.

We have 7 legit REAL talented players on our roster. One is sitting out (I.Mike) and the other 6 only 3 of them them played for us last year. McMurray has been off. Gu can’t stay on the court. Chargois has been sick. We will be fine for most of Conference and we have players to be 3rd in AAC.

Ray, Landrum and Douglas have been disappointing. PonyLaw has a good breakdown on that. I think Douglas will be a high quality rotation guy off the bench next season. Games real fast for him right now and he just needs to get comfortable. The game is there.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby Duke Blue Blood » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:33 pm

PonyLawExpress wrote:

This is excessive. This “lack of talent” has 3 real quality wins and another good win. We are a good team and have talent, we are just inexperienced (unlike UC) and don’t have depth.

We have 7 legit REAL talented players on our roster. One is sitting out (I.Mike) and the other 6 only 3 of them them played for us last year. McMurray has been off. Gu can’t stay on the court. Chargois has been sick. We will be fine for most of Conference and we have players to be 3rd in AAC.

Ray, Landrum and Douglas have been disappointing. PonyLaw has a good breakdown on that. I think Douglas will be a high quality rotation guy off the bench next season. Games real fast for him right now and he just needs to get comfortable. The game is there.

Other than Ethan (very pleasant surprise) this Class has been awful. Eli is never a threat. Douglas looks lost. Ray....a little of both. Not giving up, but we lack leadership on this team and have no go to player.
Duke Blue Blood
Heisman

Postby mtrout » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:39 pm

RPI still holding steady at 67
mtrout
Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball