PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Official Melt Down Thread

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Official Melt Down Thread

Postby sacklunch » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:46 pm

We have clearly not been ready for any road game this year and that is on Jank. We don’t have the athletes to just skate through games anymore. Nick Moore, Sterling Brown, etc... aren’t here to takeover games when we are sluggish.

Jank is fine at scheming before games and when it works and everything goes his way - then we win. If Jank’s game plan doesn’t work then we are screwed. I see virtually no adjustments mid game or any sort of enthusiasm from the side line to try and get things turned around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sacklunch
Varsity

Re: Official Melt Down Thread

Postby blackoutpony » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:46 am

Gee, it’s crazy how your team gets worse when most of the players who were devleoped by a hall of fame coach move on and the successor runs off an entire recruiting class in one year. Golly, who would’ve thought that wasn’t sustainable?
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:36 am

over react much?
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby RI Stang » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:27 am

blackoutpony wrote:Gee, it’s crazy how your team gets worse when most of the players who were devleoped by a hall of fame coach move on and the successor runs off an entire recruiting class in one year. Golly, who would’ve thought that wasn’t sustainable?

Runs off? Really? Great point - Tom Wilson is the answer to all of our struggles. Damn you Jank for running him, McDowell and Harry off...
RI Stang
All-American

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:43 am

blackoutpony wrote:runs off an entire recruiting class in one year. Golly, who would’ve thought that wasn’t sustainable?

the a-hole tickeee price czars may be in for a big shockee soon
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyTime » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:48 am

Go watch last year's @ Cin game. Looked a lot like what we saw yesterday. Only Sterling and company pushed it closer when they made their run and SMU was better at the FT line.

It was an ugly game with a lot of fouls resulting in a L - just like Sunday.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:17 am

All I have to say is: Game against Temple is a must-win.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Blunt Pony » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:23 am

Cincinnati is a good team. No shame in losing to them on the road. I actually think they might beat us at home. No reason to think different. They play hard and our guys were in over their heads or intimidated. Someone needs to step up and put this team on their back when the going gets tough. As far as Jank's adjustments, I have always been amazed at how much better we play in the second halves of games. May not have been the case yesterday, but Jank's coaching is not the issue at this point. The Cincy loss would not look so bad had Tulane not happened...but it did so I think our confidence is shaken. Lots of bad losses for top 25 teams this year so we can bounce back, but like I said in a previous post, we have GOT to win a big conference road game and then see how the team reacts from there.
Blunt Pony
Varsity

Postby deucetz » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:35 am

We have 5 upperclassmen that should be a steadying force but we can count on one or two to be in foul trouble. Our defense isn't as stout as other years and we get careless with the ball. Our ball movement and offense suffers against quality teams.

Everyone except for Jarrey, usually disappears for stretches. We have no backup center and no go to shooter. We are a streaky team, and I will just be happy to make the tournament this year. This team has no go to leader. Shake will being great at times, isn't an assassin.
deucetz
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:46 am

The way I see things, if the #1 team in the country can lose by 16 in Ohio to a team that was not ranked, I think SMU will survive a 20 point loss in Ohio to a ranked opponent
Charleston Pony

Postby Terry Webster » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:15 am

uc and wsu are light years ahead of everyone else in the conference this year. I wish the game would have been closer but as i have said before, we can't beat uc playing their game. Cronin does an amazing job of forcing teams to play the uc way. We beat them twice last year because we were able to play our game against them. Not sure we have the personnel to do that this year.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mtrout » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:24 pm

We have been ranked top20 in March and not made the tournament. Our NCAA chances are slim to none. Gotta win the AAC tourny.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:35 pm

Cincinnati and Wichita State are better teams than SMU but that doesn't mean we can't beat either of them in Moody. Home court advantage is huge in college basketball and I'm glad we have one again after years of just the 1500 and occasionally a few of their family and friends coming out to support our guys.
Charleston Pony

Postby oilpony » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:16 pm

Yep, time to give up and take Jank out back and kick his Arse. :lol:
oilpony
All-American

Postby mrydel » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:23 pm

Funny that our season is a mirror image of Arkansas, so I get to hear about both daily. Last week Arkansas was bouncing between sweet 16 and elite 8. Now they are ready to fire their coach after two tough road losses in a row.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Next

Return to Basketball