PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Recruiting post LB

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Recruiting post LB

Postby sadderbudweiser » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:07 pm

PonySnob wrote:What about the one transfer that came when Ben E did?

So forgettable we all forgot his name.

It's waaaay too early for this thread but here are a few comments:

deucetz: there were no more guarentees that Shake, Jarrey and Ethan would perform any better than the aussies, Ray, Landrum or anyone else. You can just as well say we got lucky with those three as say we blew it on the aussies. Not a true high four star or fiver in the entire bunch.

Our most high profile recruit in the LB/Jank era: Frazier. How's he looking?

As others have said, it's the f*****king probation scholarship hit we took that allows zero margin for error.
We've actually been quite fortunate that our injury situation hasn't been bad or we'd be looking like UCONN now....and they have all their Scholies!!

Sterling and Ben Moore were not as productive as Ethan as freshmen but they improved every year....phenomenally. We need that to happen with Douglas, Ray and Landrum....or at least one of them.

Same deal next year where it looks like we'll have one immediate contributor and one project.

What I think really favors us in the future is that we have a really solid core for the next two to three years and a major recruiting year ahead in 2019.

The last two games sting like hell....but that's part of the road.

We'll be ok. No, we'll be better than ok.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby sadderbudweiser » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:08 pm

PonyLaw90 wrote:Who gets credit/ fail for Sedric B?

Also, you can’t grade LB without taking into account the pluses and minuses of what he brought and left us with. Like saying my ex was Ms. Texas but gave me herpes. Was it worth it?

Did I know your ex?
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby PonyLawExpress » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:21 pm

Jury is still out on this.

Chargois was a massive hit. I.Mike from all accounts will be another massive success. McMurray has struggled the past 2 games, but we all know he is a player.

Douglas I am convinced will be a player going forward from everything I know about him and have heard. The skills are there. Ray and Landrum are definitely TBD and from all i've seen/heard sound like they will be career role guys barring a huge jump (was hoping for more from Ray, didn't expect much from Landrum early on). Too early to throw freshman in the trash pile. If Douglas hits (4 out of 7) is good.

Jank's recruiting prowess will be decided in the 2019 class. That is the class he needs to add a stud (Maxey) and a high quality class (guys like Chris Harris, Tyrek Smith, Drew Timme, or another top 150 type wing/guard). I think it is key going forward to try to grab AT LEAST 1 transfer per cycle. We are a very attractive landing spot for transfers and can continue to grab high quality/ Star transfers every year which is key for us to keep that as a pipeline for our program. Real excited for Feron Hunt.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby PonyFan32 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:38 pm

One loss to Tulane and Jank goes from king to pauper. Ah the joys of a basketball forum.

Truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

But others have covered how LB's recruiting results were hit and miss as well.

We will know a ton more in a year. I say we wait it out.
PonyFan32
Heisman

Postby JasonB » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:20 pm

All 4 of our frosh are going to be hits. We lack a presence down low right now, But Chargois can develop that presence and Ray will be good.

Frustrating to go through this spell, but we will be fine in the long term if the city and students don't bail on this team.
JasonB

Postby sadderbudweiser » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:42 pm

JasonB wrote:All 4 of our frosh are going to be hits. We lack a presence down low right now, But Chargois can develop that presence and Ray will be good.

Frustrating to go through this spell, but we will be fine in the long term if the city and students don't bail on this team.

Simple solution: HAMMER Temple.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby PonySnob » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:27 pm

RGV Pony wrote:Justin Martin?

Actually maybe Crandall Head

It was Justin Martin. Believe Crandall was recruited with Sterling and Ben Moore
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby ponyboy » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:47 pm

MacDowell a miss? NO
ponyboy

Postby RI Stang » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:07 pm

RI Stang
All-American