PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

What postseason tournament will SMU play in?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

NCAA
53%
NIT
36%
CBI
11%

Total votes : 55

Postby skyscraper » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:43 pm

Vote with your head, not your heart, lol
skyscraper
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: What postseason tournament will SMU play in?

Postby geezerdonk » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:53 pm

None.
A long tradition of existence.
geezerdonk
Varsity

Postby Julian Grendel » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:57 pm

We have unfinished business /old score to settle in the CIT
Julian Grendel
Junior Varsity

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:19 pm

I voted NIT. It's probably best we go there. We can look good on home court until the final game MSG. I think if we somehow snuck into the tourney we would be in the 14-16 seed area at this point. We can't prove to anyone that we can win on the road. This is really directed at Tulane, but I didn't think we would get spanked as bad as last night. My hope the team rebounds again Temple with a resounding 10pt+ win. It looks like we get a long week break before on the road to WSU where I hope they can make it competitive. There have been NR teams if I remember correctly went there and almost won, so I think if the team can get a good game plan together and practice freaking FTs maybe there's a chance for redemption. Otherwise, I'll hold neutral if we beat Temple at home. If we lose to Temple, then just talk about the moody reseat thing because that's about all there's left.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyFan32 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:31 pm

14-16 seed is impossible. Auto bids from small conferences get those seeds. If we have any chance of getting in, we will have to have 10 or fewer losses, in which case we would be 11/12 seed. Probably 11 in the play in game.

I think tourney is still possible but NIT is definite possibility at this point. Making the Tourney feels like a big deal for landing the big '19 class.
PonyFan32
Heisman

Postby Pony81 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:36 pm

The loss to Tulane on essentially a neutral court (small crowd, not at all rowdy) is what has changed my opinion of this team's ability to get a win on the road when things aren't going well.

UCF, UH, WSU are now likely road losses. With WSU a likely Moody loss, we will have 6 conference losses or a 12-6 conference record....which coming out of the American is solid NIT bid. We still might sneak into the tournament as a bubble team but that would mean a strong finish in the AAC tournament.

No way we beat WSU or UC in the AAC tournament. Just don't have the fellas this year.

The last 3 years we have had Nic or Semi / Sterling who we could count on to get us settled and bring some offense when we struggled on the road (USC tournament game notwithstanding).

This year we don't have that. I was hoping Shake would be that guy but he just disappears when we need him the most.

NIT team.
Pony 81
Pony81
Heisman

Postby PonySnob » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:49 pm

Julian Grendel wrote:We have unfinished business /old score to settle in the CIT

Would David Miller "Pony Up" and buy us some CIT home games?
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby PonyLawExpress » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:12 pm

I would say at this point we are a NCAA Tourney bubble team so it could go either way between the NCAA and NIT.

We need to go 23-8 in the regular season to feel good about making the NCAA. If we go 22-9 we probably would need to reach the AAC championship, unless it is just a poor field where we could get a play-in-game, since we have some quality wins and there don't seem to be as many bid stealers from MVC, MWC or even the A10.

I vote NCCA's, because I think this was the low point of our season and with our resume already I think we can sneak in when we hopefully hit a high point of the season. If we can go 8-1 at home (win 1 of 2 against WSU and UC) and go 5-4 on the road (beat USF, ECU, Tulsa) and then just need to steal 2 of 4 from UH, UConn, UCF, WSU to get to 23-8.

Will be close. We are looking like a true bubble team at this point.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby smitty329 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:42 pm

About as timely a post as will SMU win the National Championship. Beat Temple.
smitty329
All-American

Postby PonyFan32 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:43 pm

Tulane loss was awful but we also had 1 of our top 6 out sick and 3 of the other 5 had horrible off nights on offense. That's not going to happen every time we play teams on the road. Literally everything had to go wrong after we were up 51-39 for us to lose by 3.

I still think we beat either Houston or UCF on the road.
PonyFan32
Heisman

Postby HarvCrimYaleBlue » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:32 pm

PonyFan32 wrote:Tulane loss was awful but we also had 1 of our top 6 out sick and 3 of the other 5 had horrible off nights on offense. That's not going to happen every time we play teams on the road. Literally everything had to go wrong after we were up 51-39 for us to lose by 3.

SMU...we do what we do.
HarvCrimYaleBlue
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:45 pm

much too early to call but right now this team is not worthy of the NCAA Tourney...doesn't mean they can't peak in March and win the AAC Tourney for an auto bid but that might be our only hope because I still think we go 21-10 in the regular season.
Charleston Pony

Postby ponyboy » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:44 pm

HarvCrimYaleBlue wrote:
PonyFan32 wrote:Tulane loss was awful but we also had 1 of our top 6 out sick and 3 of the other 5 had horrible off nights on offense. That's not going to happen every time we play teams on the road. Literally everything had to go wrong after we were up 51-39 for us to lose by 3.

SMU...we do what we do.

We win like hell. So thankful for this program.
ponyboy

Postby RI Stang » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:35 am

PonyLawExpress wrote:I would say at this point we are a NCAA Tourney bubble team so it could go either way between the NCAA and NIT.

We need to go 23-8 in the regular season to feel good about making the NCAA. If we go 22-9 we probably would need to reach the AAC championship, unless it is just a poor field where we could get a play-in-game, since we have some quality wins and there don't seem to be as many bid stealers from MVC, MWC or even the A10.

I vote NCCA's, because I think this was the low point of our season and with our resume already I think we can sneak in when we hopefully hit a high point of the season. If we can go 8-1 at home (win 1 of 2 against WSU and UC) and go 5-4 on the road (beat USF, ECU, Tulsa) and then just need to steal 2 of 4 from UH, UConn, UCF, WSU to get to 23-8.

Will be close. We are looking like a true bubble team at this point.

Refreshing to find an actual voice of reason around here rather than the gloom and doom. Lunardi released his updated bracket last night and we are still in, although last four in so playing in one of the play-in games (interestingly enough, the others there are Houston, Marquette and Baylor so we would get either Baylor or Marquette - great theater).
RI Stang
All-American

Postby Blunt Pony » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:03 am

I say that we make the NCAA tourney. We are going to have to play to form and win 1 against WSU or Cincy. My fear is the road and the fact that it is really hard to predict which teams are going to develop through the season. For the sake of playing the game, I say we go 10-4 from here on out with losses to Houston (road), WSU (twice) and UCF on the road. 22-9 puts us at about a 10 seed with quality wins over Arizona, USC, Boise, Cincy among others. I think our tourney fate hinges on beating Cincy in this scenario. We need one more high quality win in my opinion. No margin for error at this point or it is going to be NIT for us.
Blunt Pony
Varsity

Next

Return to Basketball