PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

What postseason tournament will SMU play in?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

What postseason tournament will SMU play in?

NCAA
53%
NIT
36%
CBI
11%

Total votes : 55

Re: What postseason tournament will SMU play in?

Postby PonyTime » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:32 am

I think we are more likely to lose @Tulsa than @UCF.

Wins: Temple, Tulane, ECU, @ECU, Memphis, @UCF, HOU, @USF

Losses: @WSU, @Tulsa, @Hou, Cincy

20-9

Can't decide on the following two games - @UConn, WSU

so either 22-9, 21-10 or 20-11 going into conference tournament.

Bottom line is that we need to beat a WSU or Cin either in regular season or post season to have a shot at NCAAs.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:36 am

Wont UCF get BJ Taylor by the time we play them on our home court. We only won by 5 at MOODY. So I'm thinking that looks more like a loss than Tulsa.
'
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyLawExpress » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:54 am

PonyTime wrote:I think we are more likely to lose @Tulsa than @UCF.

Wins: Temple, Tulane, ECU, @ECU, Memphis, @UCF, HOU, @USF

Losses: @WSU, @Tulsa, @Hou, Cincy

20-9

Can't decide on the following two games - @UConn, WSU

so either 22-9, 21-10 or 20-11 going into conference tournament.

Bottom line is that we need to beat a WSU or Cin either in regular season or post season to have a shot at NCAAs.

Really? @Tulsa? I don't think we have lost @Tulsa (besides the tourney game) since we joined the AAC. I feel better about that game than UConn. Tulsa is close, their crowd isn't very rowdy, and we have 3 players from that area (one of which players awesome every-time we go there). Also, the fact that Tulsa isn't very good (particularly on D) if you've watched them play. I get we lost @Tulane, but if we play that game 10 times we win at least 8 of them. Same thing goes for @Tulsa.

I basically agree with your analysis though. I would put Tulsa in the win and UCF in the can't decide. We need to win 2 out of 4 of (UC, WSU, @UCF, and @UH) and beat everyone else at home and beat everyone we should beat on the road (ECU, USF, UConn, Tulsa).
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby Pony_Law » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:01 pm

SMU_Alum11 wrote:Wont UCF get BJ Taylor by the time we play them on our home court. We only won by 5 at MOODY. So I'm thinking that looks more like a loss than Tulsa.
'

That score was a bit misleading, they cut a 10 point lead to 5 during the last 90 seconds as we were missing free throws and not playing real defense.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby RI Stang » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:37 pm

This guy is worth a follow if you like to track the field, etc. He has historically been near the top in terms of correctly predicting the field and the seeds. Just released his first bracket this morning and he has us in (and not among the last four in). He does a nice job of also breaking down the selection criteria being used. Also as I mentioned earlier Lunardi has us in as of this morning, although he DOES have us in that last four in group.

Tulane game was a setback, no doubt, but everything is still right there in front of this team to get in. I agree with the 22-9 record being needed (with one win vs Wichita or Cincy) heading to the AAC tourney in order to be somewhat comfortable. It's still only early January though, lots of twists and turns still to come.

http://www.insidethehall.com/2018/01/09 ... ry-9-2017/

For now - beat up on Temple tomorrow and then take advantage of a full week off to work on those areas that have been a struggle recently (like defensive rebounding and more quickly beating the press)...
RI Stang
All-American

Postby PonyLaw90 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:39 pm

RI Stang wrote:This guy is worth a follow if you like to track the field, etc. He has historically been near the top in terms of correctly predicting the field and the seeds. Just released his first bracket this morning and he has us in (and not among the last four in). He does a nice job of also breaking down the selection criteria being used. Also as I mentioned earlier Lunardi has us in as of this morning, although he DOES have us in that last four in group.

Tulane game was a setback, no doubt, but everything is still right there in front of this team to get in. I agree with the 22-9 record being needed (with one win vs Wichita or Cincy) heading to the AAC tourney in order to be somewhat comfortable. It's still only early January though, lots of twists and turns still to come.

http://www.insidethehall.com/2018/01/09 ... ry-9-2017/

For now - beat up on Temple tomorrow and then take advantage of a full week off to work on those areas that have been a struggle recently (like defensive rebounding and more quickly beating the press)...

I think he's smarter than all of us. So let's go with it and end this debate. We're in!
PonyLaw90
Varsity

Postby East Coast Mustang » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:00 am

SMU_Alum11 wrote:I voted NIT. It's probably best we go there. We can look good on home court until the final game MSG. I think if we somehow snuck into the tourney we would be in the 14-16 seed area at this point.

This guy has to be a troll...there’s no way someone this stupid and uninformed graduated from SMU.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:02 am

East Coast Mustang wrote:
SMU_Alum11 wrote:I voted NIT. It's probably best we go there. We can look good on home court until the final game MSG. I think if we somehow snuck into the tourney we would be in the 14-16 seed area at this point.

This guy has to be a troll...there’s no way someone this stupid and uninformed graduated from SMU.

Wow a bit hostile there. Sounds like what a typical NTCC grad would say. You do realize no one values your opinion. So... et tu troll? :lol:
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustangxc » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:04 am

If we make the NCAA tournament as an at-large there is absolutely 0% chance we get a 14-16 seed so you are clueless about college basketball.
mustangxc
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:14 am

mustangxc wrote:If we make the NCAA tournament as an at-large there is absolutely 0% chance we get a 14-16 seed so you are clueless about college basketball.

You’re right. My bad on the call. I’ll restate. I still think we will be NIT since we have yet to show a road win outside of Zona. But we are 1-4 and loss to freaking Tulane who lost to Memphis. You can tell by the body language of the team that they can’t play on the road or at least show it. Tulane and WKU felt carbon copies where we hold a strong lead and choke it away. Imagine when we go on the road against good and middle teams (WSU - Hou - Tulsa). Maybe beating Cincy at home will get us there but I fear also our chances of getting past the first game in the AAC tourney. So that’s why I’m conservative saying NIT and at best whatever the lowest seed we can get.
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMU Section F » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:46 am

I feel like we're still on track to make the tournament... I don't feel good about us getting a win though.

Which of course means either NIT or we're Sweet 16 bound, since I'm just absolutely [deleted] terrible at guessing how our season is gonna end. I've resolved myself to just being along for the ride... more fun that way anyway.
SMU Section F
Heisman

Postby PonyFan32 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:02 am

SMU Section F wrote:Which of course means either NIT or we're Sweet 16 bound, since I'm just absolutely [deleted] terrible at guessing how our season is gonna end. I've resolved myself to just being along for the ride... more fun that way anyway.

Sometimes I feel that way too. No idea what to expect.
PonyFan32
Heisman

Postby RI Stang » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:46 am

Despite their recent struggles, Temple is still top 50 RPI based on the very solid OOC schedule they played and that win over Clemson. A win tonight would obviously help the psyche in getting things back on track, but also at this point would be a nice win for the metrics. Tulane is still top 100 so not awful. The Northern Iowa loss is the one that we are having to overcome with a series of good/decent wins more than anything else - their season has gone down in flames.
RI Stang
All-American

Postby PonyLawExpress » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:08 pm

RI Stang wrote:Despite their recent struggles, Temple is still top 50 RPI based on the very solid OOC schedule they played and that win over Clemson. A win tonight would obviously help the psyche in getting things back on track, but also at this point would be a nice win for the metrics. Tulane is still top 100 so not awful. The Northern Iowa loss is the one that we are having to overcome with a series of good/decent wins more than anything else - their season has gone down in flames.

Good news, as we learned last year, the committee values high quality wins (Top 50 wins) way stronger than they value mediocre losses. A sub 200 loss might cause them to raise their eyebrows, but a loss @#120 hurts, but like beating someone whose is #80 at home it doesn't carry a ton of weight either way and it doesn't keep you out if you have quality metrics and some good (top 50) wins.

Have to start with a Temple win tonight then we get a week off before traveling to WSU. After WSU we have a nice stretch to get our mojo back against Tulane, @UConn, ECU, @Tulsa. Going to be really interesting how this team responds and grows over the next few weeks.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby SMU-LSU Fan » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:18 pm

We cannot have 10 losses--double digit losses are a huge negative. Keep losses at 9 or below and we make it in. Also, hope AZ and USC roll.
SMU-LSU Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball