PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Unofficial Temple Game Thread

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Unofficial Temple Game Thread

Postby Pony_Law » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:17 pm

03Mustang wrote:It seems like all they wanted to do tonight is hike up 3s. Awful basketball, and that's on the coach as much as the players.

Worst basketball I've seen at moody since it had wooden seats.

Jerry is in the depths of a bad shooting slump and it’s kill us 1-5 on 5 good looks he has to make 40% of his open looks.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby JHG » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:18 pm

Good game guys. Good luck the rest of the way.
JHG
Junior Varsity

Postby 03Mustang » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:19 pm

Pony_Law wrote:
03Mustang wrote:It seems like all they wanted to do tonight is hike up 3s. Awful basketball, and that's on the coach as much as the players.

Worst basketball I've seen at moody since it had wooden seats.

Jerry is in the depths of a bad shooting slump and it’s kill us 1-5 on 5 good looks he has to make 40% of his open looks.

And we f-ing suck at free throws and getting to the hoop for easy layups
03Mustang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Bishrag » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:30 pm

Rebel10 wrote:I think some expectations may have been a little too high for team after losing 3 next level players. Also Jon Rothstein just mentioned how dangerous a team that Temple is. They can close to beating Cincinnati.

They don't even do the fundamentals well though. Zero boxing out. Offense looking like Kevin Ollie is coaching them. The talent is absolutely there. Every one of our guys including the freshman have made plays that show they know the game. Its just not coming together. I wonder how much LB's famed "hell" practices Nic and Sterling talked about are being missed.
Bishrag
Recruit

Postby 03Mustang » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:33 pm

Agreed on the fundamentals. When the long range shots don't fall we lose, period. Not a sign of a good team.

We are getting exposed for what we are - an undersized team that can't control the boards, is undisciplined with the ball much of the time, and that either cannot or will not work it inside nearly enough.

We will be lucky to make the NIT.
03Mustang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby kerrywoodwins20 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:34 pm

You guys aren’t thinking about this game critically.

If they had lost a game like this with this effort when they were flying high after a big win or string of wins it would have been the most normal thing in the world.

To lose a game like this, returning home, after two bad losses is another thing entirely. You guys can call it a rebuilding year if you want, the character of many of these players was exposed as poor tonight and that doesn’t change.
kerrywoodwins20
Recruit

Postby Black Horseshoe » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:42 pm

deucetz wrote:I hope they do not honor Agau’s second year. He is garbage

Jank obviously loves him
Black Horseshoe
Varsity

Postby Stallion » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:57 pm

So a "gutless coward" repeatedly calls our players "gutless cowards" and everybody is fine with that? You need to pull back on the alcohol [deleted]. 13 points in about 8-9 minutes-or whatever it was-would have been one of the biggest comebacks in SMU history-they lost but they aren't gutless cowards unlike YOU. Sober up
Last edited by Stallion on Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby 78pony » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:57 pm

kerrywoodwins20 wrote:You guys aren’t thinking about this game critically.

If they had lost a game like this with this effort when they were flying high after a big win or string of wins it would have been the most normal thing in the world.

To lose a game like this, returning home, after two bad losses is another thing entirely. You guys can call it a rebuilding year if you want, the character of many of these players was exposed as poor tonight and that doesn’t change.

Bingo. ^^^^this!
78pony
Heisman

Postby skyscraper » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:03 am

I feel bad for Shake because he had zero help tonight. He can't win the games alone.
Jank's coaching is officially in question now. Our FT shooting and offensive rotations are horrendous. The AAC teams have the book on us and we haven't adjusted.
SMU couldn't have picked a worse time to reseat the arena.
skyscraper

Postby Arkpony » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:06 am

We do what we do for we’re SMU
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby JasonB » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:10 am

1) When you give 8 minutes of effort in a 40 minute game, you don't deserve to win. I liked the 8 minutes, but if we had pushed that hard from the start, we win by 20. We got screwed at the end by our own scorekeeper by showing we were down by 1. I'm convinced that is why Shake forced that last shot instead of listening to Jank call for a timeout. But that that doesn't excuse the lack of effort for 32 minutes of the game. We deserved to lose based on that effort alone. And don't forget we played horribly in the UCF game, so it is really 4 bad games in a row.

2) Jank is too chill. The team has taken that personality. Larry would have ripped the team a new one ten minutes into the game and again at halftime. Just my opinion.

3) We aren't running effective or enough pick and roll. Instead we rely completely on isolation.

4) We don't have a backside rebounding presence which bailed us out if drives didn't work last year. Second chance points are a major issue right now on both ends of the court, but on the offensive end more than we realize. When Shake drives and 3 come to meet him, someone has to be free on the backside to gobble up the board and put it back. It isn't happening.

5) Agau just doesn't have it right now. He is out of place athletically, and doesn't impact the game on offense or defense. He had two nice rebounds. But was a complete liability on the defensive possession at the end of the first half, for example. I know Ray fouls a lot. I get it. But at least the energy is there and the rebound potential is there on both sides of the court. He needs to get more time until Agau is right.

6) Our rebounding is atrocious. We have some length, but no physicality and no athleticism. It is an effort thing. Even Jarrey doesn't muscle a board. He uses his length. It will kill him in the NBA. Shake should be a monster on the boards for his assignment, but he isn't physical either. Ben does a solid job, but Whitt and McMurray are not. Ray's physicality would set a tone and help this out, I believe. We need more "junkyard dog" out there, it is a big miss from Ben and Sterling.

7) Simple recipe - whomever Foster is guarding pulls him outside. Then dribble in and take a shot. Foster is our shot block presence and the only rebounder. Take him out of the equation and things get a lot easier.

8) McMurray is slow defensively, and our help defense and size inside isn't good enough to cover for it. He isn't *bad* defensively. But he is just a little slow with anticipation, and it exposes the fact that we have zero inside presence to help him out. We made a little of our run when he was in before foul trouble, but when Eli came in we started getting more stops.

There are things that can be done to fix things. DEMAND effort on the defensive end, even at the risk of foul trouble. Yank players if they aren't balling out, we have more depth than we are taking advantage of. PLAY RAY - I know that is probably going to be controversial, but he showed he can board in Canada and some in the non-conference. His energy is needed, and we need the size. RUN THE OFFENSE - show at the foul line, run a pick and roll, but get out of the isolation game. Teams aren't helping anymore on the drive, so we have to crash the board on the backside and try to finish instead of passing the ball back out. Use McMurray like the Pistons used Vinnie Johnson. Throw him out there and let him shoot. If he is on, keep him in, and if he is off, pull him because the offensive flow isn't right and he isn't as strong on the defensive end.
JasonB

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:33 am

skyscraper wrote:I feel bad for Shake because he had zero help tonight. He can't win the games alone.
Jank's coaching is officially in question now. Our FT shooting and offensive rotations are horrendous. The AAC teams have the book on us and we haven't adjusted.
SMU couldn't have picked a worse time to reseat the arena.

I know we have our differences, but Amen.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyLawExpress » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:43 am

The lack of support around Shake is why we have lost these last 3 games. Jarrey and Gu have played okay, not great, but the disappearance of Whitt, McMurray and Chargois has killed us. We are a .500 team if 2 out of 3 of Chargois, McMurray and Whitt don’t show up... Gu just isn’t a go to guy he is good in his role, but not fair to ask for more and Jarrey is playing his role well, but is still showing he needs tons of work on his jumper.

If Chargois and McMurray can get going (or Whitt) we can maybe get back on track, but we are looking like an NIT team now. Long season left to turn it around, but not much reason to expect we will..
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby kerrywoodwins20 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:34 am

A win against Wichita State erases that game and makes it a win, but I won't hold my breath.
kerrywoodwins20
Recruit

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball