PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Coach Jankovich

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Coach Jankovich

Postby Stallion » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:55 pm

Helter-Skelter-it was the Fan's fault for yelling too loud
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonySnob » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:37 pm

Stallion wrote:Helter-Skelter-it was the Fan's fault for yelling too loud

The upcoming reseat might help with that
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby okcponyfan » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:07 pm

He has been outreached badly the last 3 games
okcponyfan
Varsity

Postby Julian Grendel » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:34 pm

And by Stansbury
Julian Grendel
Junior Varsity

Postby mustang1992 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:43 pm

His records at NTSU and ISU are average at best. He's been playing with house money the past two years, we will start to see what kind of a coach he really is next year - but I think we are getting a glimpse of that already.
mustang1992
All-American

Postby sadderbudweiser » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:56 am

0C1E4F70-DEB3-44F5-96E7-6E61B11979D8.jpeg
0C1E4F70-DEB3-44F5-96E7-6E61B11979D8.jpeg (126.4 KiB) Viewed 2956 times

It was both rebounding and the interior passing that made LB’s SMU teams so remarkable.
We’ve gotten away from that progressively over the past year.
Part of it is definitely the personnel.

Jarrey has it.

Whitt and Chargois can learn it.

Agau has actually tried to throw a number of good backdoor and interior “shovels” but most have failed....just missing.

The three pointers are an important part of the plan but we go nowhere if we can’t get the ball inside as well.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby TidePony » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:43 am

On point ^^^
TidePony
Hall of Famer

Postby mustangxc » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:40 am

This was always going to be a rebuilding year. You do not lose 3 NBA players in one season without regression, especially with the scholarship sanctions we have. The hope is to make the NCAA tournament even in a down year. Whether we do enough to get in, I am still concerned with our play the last 3 games.
mustangxc

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:24 pm

exactly...this is a rebuilding year but at least we has Shake, Jarrey & Gu coming back along with McMurray, Whitt and Agau who gave us hope of being a tournament qualifier, whether it is the NCAA or NIT. Chargois has been a plus and I'm not going to rule out the possibility others will contribute ore before season's end. SMU basketball is still light years beyond the Doherty era
Charleston Pony

Postby sadderbudweiser » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:32 am

My prediction was 9 or 10 losses... can’t remember.

I’d just forgotten how frustrating an unexpected conference loss can be. Hadn’t happened much.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby PonyLawExpress » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:22 am

sadderbudweiser wrote:My prediction was 9 or 10 losses... can’t remember.

I’d just forgotten how frustrating an unexpected conference loss can be. Hadn’t happened much.

I think the most frustrating part isn't that we didn't expect a down year and a likely bubble team, but the manner in which these last 3 losses have happened. We have talent still, but they the inexperience and the little things haven't clicked yet.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby ponyboy » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:02 pm

I like your posts, Law, but who is "we?" Jank told us before the season began that, because of the unknowns with the new faces and the gelling that has to happen with this group, we should expect a down year and making the tourney isn't a lock.

All is well.
ponyboy

Postby Bishrag » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:23 pm

I think most people understand this year would always be a down year, but two things stick out to me and a few others I talked too:

1) The biggest worry comes from the little things/fundamentals. This team doesn't do them well. Boxing out, spacing, off the ball movement etc. In the Larry years you would hear from Nic & Sterling about the brutal practices where tiny details of the game were drilled into the players head. Nic mentioned the first practices of the year would have a whistle blowing every 10 sec to stop the play and correct an issue. Is this still happening or is Jank moving to the players coach people warned everyone about?

2) Losing to Tulane (albeit an improved Tulane) when up 12 with 10 min left and Temple @ home should not happen with the Talent level on this team. Shake almost beat both single handedly. Neither team was on fire all game either. In both games it appeared the coaching staff had some serious head scratching decisions (ex. no response to Mcmurray getting posted up & the last 50 sec. lack of a 2 for 1).

With a 3 game blip, its a bit of an over reaction to say we should get rid of Jank, but the manner in which the blip has come about is a bit puzzling. Couple that with prior game management (NCAA Tourney Last year, WKU this year), it plants a seed.

The rest of the season will be interesting to see how the issues, particularly the constipation on offense & rebounding, are sorted out. Im hopeful the team can get back to what they are good at on offense because this team has talent and potential to shock people.
Bishrag
Recruit

Postby ponyboy » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:47 pm

A bit of an overreaction? Yes. And Helen of Troy is kinda cute.
ponyboy

Postby deucetz » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:30 pm

Bishrag wrote:
1) The biggest worry comes from the little things/fundamentals. This team doesn't do them well. Boxing out, spacing, off the ball movement etc. In the Larry years you would hear from Nic & Sterling about the brutal practices where tiny details of the game were drilled into the players head. Nic mentioned the first practices of the year would have a whistle blowing every 10 sec to stop the play and correct an issue. Is this still happening or is Jank moving to the players coach people warned everyone about?

I agree that the fundamentals are an issue. We have 5 players that can be starters in almost any team in the AAC, let alone many P-5 programs. We have talent, but some of our fundamentals and coaching decisions have been in issue. I don't mind if we lose because a team shoots lights out, I mind when we beat ourselves do to not rebounding, spacing, or self-imposed turnovers.
deucetz
All-American

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball